Does anyone enjoy overpacking?

illybell

I am a cruise newbie going on my first "real" cruise, I've only been on one 4 day years ago when I was a young teen, but I am a very frequent traveler and always have been....I'm also a girly girl and a proud over-packer.

All I've read on these boards is how you should wear things over again and no one will notice...but I will...

Is anybody else with me? I've never had an overweight fee and I always pack for two outfits a day and lots of shoe and accessory options...I can't be alone in enjoying the excuse of vacation to indulge, haha.

Though maybe it's just because I wear a hideous uniform daily in the real world :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you've never paid an airline luggage surcharge and you can happily manage your luggage, then who's to say you are an overpacker? I think everyone should pack in whatever way suits them best (pun intended).

I used to pack a lot more than I do now. I often travel solo and I've found through the years that I'm happiest when I can easily manage my own luggage (including walking it down cobbled streets to a small hotel somewhere) and when I don't have to spend a lot of time packing/unpacking, putting together outfits and accessorizing, etc. I still have enough choices to make me happy, and if there are people who notice when I wear something several times on a 2 week vacation, then so what? ;)

I totally agree with you. My mom and I both pack 2 outfits per day, multiple swimsuits and whatever shoes we want. It all fits in one checked bag and one carry on. It makes us happy. We handle our own luggage and don't complain. And we wear almost everything minus the spares we bring in case of wine spills, rips, etc...

I love dresses. I love color. I'm a girly girl and I don't even own a pair of black pants so that look is not for me. Putting together outfits with accessories is a lot of fun for both of us and we both prefer to dress up for dinner.

Luckily, I get a free checked bag with a credit card, but if I didn't I would pay for it. I just consider it part of the cost of travel.

I'm leaving in 19 days and have 11 pairs of shoes packed. I can't wait to wear them!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And yes, it's true that no one will notice if you wear the same thing twice, but I would notice. I also tend to sweat a lot when it's hot so rewearing sundresses isn't always an option. And there's zero chance of me doing laundry on vacation. I don't enjoy it at home!

I am a cruise newbie going on my first "real" cruise, I've only been on one 4 day years ago when I was a young teen, but I am a very frequent traveler and always have been....I'm also a girly girl and a proud over-packer.

All I've read on these boards is how you should wear things over again and no one will notice...but I will...

Is anybody else with me? I've never had an overweight fee and I always pack for two outfits a day and lots of shoe and accessory options...I can't be alone in enjoying the excuse of vacation to indulge, haha.

Though maybe it's just because I wear a hideous uniform daily in the real world :)

I'm with you. I would rather have more choice than wear things over again. We always fly first class therefore we are allow two bags each. As for cruising, we always ship our bags to the ship. To each his own really. You do whatever make you happy 😄.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I will pack as much as I can...although, I do try and limit my shoes, now! I do limit hubby's shoes, as they weigh a freaking ton! What's with that?

I don't mind rewearing shorts, but most other things just feel better if they are "fresh"... Traveling in the summer is much easier, since summer clothes weigh so much less than "winter wear"!

I also don't enjoy wearing the same outfits over and over again, but I don't need to overpack to accomplish this. I have lots of clothes that take up hardly any space in a suitcase.

While I love having choice, I also want to make sure that I can manage my own luggage and will have enough room to bring home anything I might buy while I'm gone.

I don't like dealing with anything larger than a medium size suitcase, so as long as everything can fit in that (and I can easily lift it) I don't feel that I've overpacked.

If you've never paid an airline luggage surcharge and you can happily manage your luggage, then who's to say you are an overpacker? I think everyone should pack in whatever way suits them best (pun intended).

I used to pack a lot more than I do now. I often travel solo and I've found through the years that I'm happiest when I can easily manage my own luggage (including walking it down cobbled streets to a small hotel somewhere) and when I don't have to spend a lot of time packing/unpacking, putting together outfits and accessorizing, etc. I still have enough choices to make me happy, and if there are people who notice when I wear something several times on a 2 week vacation, then so what? ;)

Yep, again, I'm here with cruisemom42. Even if I'm doing a checked bag, that bag is my 25" Osprey Sojourn. And, it is never packed heavier than what I can lift up into an overhead for train travel. If I take the Sojourn, my carryon is not another roller, but a daypack or cross body (depending on destination) which will be my everyday bag, too.

I wear a truly hideous uniform at work (hopefully to be updated before winter), but I don't feel the need to dress any differently than I do off-work. My cruise/vacation wardrobe is my at home wardrobe. If someone notices that I wear something a few times on a cruise, I don't have a problem. The people who have to the time and need to notice that I have on the same thing again have the problem…

Edited by slidergirl

I don't enjoy overpacking...

I hate too many choices. I need my wardrobe to be streamlined so that I don't stare at all the clothes and struggle to make up my mind. Because it is a struggle for me...one reason why I have a smaller wardrobe in general.

I think it's great that other ladies can have so much fun with all their clothes and enjoy the time and choices for adding accessories...but this is a small form of torture for me personally. I'd rather wear one dress that I know fits me great and makes me feel good multiple times than bring several dresses and have to decide which one I would like to wear that night. OMG. Nightmare.

I don't think it's overpacking if you use everything you bring. I overpacked twice and it was all in just one bag. I just brought a bunch of stuff I thought I would wear and I didn't bc I didn't love them to begin with. Bring only stuff you love and you will wear all of it. I'm the same way with purchases. If I don't love it, I don't buy it. That way everything in my closet I love and is unique. Granted, some of them no longer fit. :D

Edited by whataboutport

I had three large suitcases and a carry-on for my last cruise (118 days). I wore all my clothes but had a number of pairs of shoes that I could wear only once or not at all because my feet stayed swollen the entire time. I am going to try to cut back next time simply because wrangling those cases on my own was a pain!

My cruise wardrobe is my at home wardrobe as well. I wear sundresses to work or on the weekends. I wear nice dresses to work or special events (tea, shows, church, etc...). I wear cocktail dresses or gowns for weddings. I don't wear swimsuits a ton at home, but I get most of those super cheap anyway.

I do like being prepared for anything which is why I definitely over pack toiletries, but this time I'm cutting back on clothes. I've found that I have certain staples I routinely go to and the dressier things tend to stay on the hanger and back in the suit case to go home unworn.

I spill, therefore, I overpack (a little). Always more tops than skirts/capris/slacks cause, I spill. Always have at least 3 big scarves, cause, I spill. I also love shoes. We're driving to port in November, watch out! Melody

I'm pleased to see some of us "overpackers" coming out of the closet (so to speak). The chance to get some mileage out of my wardrobe has become one of cruising's attractions for me. Any extra luggage fees just get figured into the cost of the trip. And since I cruise solo, there's plenty of closet space for my cocktail dresses!

Haha I love all the responses!

I was starting to worry I was crazy when I was reading stories on here of women bring 3 tops and bottoms and just mix and matching them...pretty sure that's the definition of a nightmare for me :)

The people who try and fit everything in a carry-on would say I'm an over-packer but I think I'm a "just-right" packer! Fresh tops for each day, almost as many shorts, plus nice things for each night in the MDR. Most of it goes together multiple ways. Two formal nights = two cocktail dresses. I'm not going to wear one dress, throw a scarf on it and call it a second dress. We don't cruise that often, so it is special for us and I want to look my best. However, I'll admit I'm careful about how many shoes I take and take dress shoes that will go with everything, rather than a pair for each outfit. (Not hard for me - I'm not a "shoe" person). Husband and I each take one rolling suitcase which gets checked, and a duffle style carry-on. It doesn't bother me a bit if I bring back something I never wore. I least it was there if I needed it.

I don't consider myself to be an "over packer" but I pack more than the people who try to cram everything into a bag they can put in the overhead. I pack the clothes I want to wear and I pack to give myself a few choices. And if that means I sometimes have to pay to check luggage, than so be it. :D

Sherri:D

This seems to be a favorite topic every time I visit here. It all boils down to your personal preference and what works for you. For our last cruise in May (Mediterranean) I spent at least 6 weeks learning to pack light since I had a flight to Europe plus traveling on a fast train from Barcelona to Madrid post cruise. I brought everything in one carry on......even my formal wear. Hubby rented a tux for formal evenings since he didn't want to drag a suit around. It was definitely liberating packing light. We are going on an Eastern Caribbean cruise in November and will be driving to the port. I am taking a larger suitcase plus a carry on with more casual outfits and shoes plus snorkel gear ( which I definitely wouldn't do if flying). Just do what suits you best:-)

I'm pleased to see some of us "overpackers" coming out of the closet (so to speak). The chance to get some mileage out of my wardrobe has become one of cruising's attractions for me. Any extra luggage fees just get figured into the cost of the trip. And since I cruise solo, there's plenty of closet space for my cocktail dresses!

Love this post!

I am most definitely an over packer !! Travelling from the uk we get a 23kg check in bag plus a carry on. I know for a fact mine will be up to the max and will use some of my husbands allowance too ( luckily he doesn't mind ) . My next cruise in February is 20 days I will bring clothes in 2 sizes because I can guarantee by the third week things will be feeling a little bit tight !! I have tried not to overpack but I cannot do it. I maybe need over packers anonymous