To heck with packing cubes, where has this product been our whole lives?

brillohead

I just ran across this product and instantly placed an order (watch the cute video): http://ezstax.com/pages/video-demonstration

They are interlocking mini-shelves that you place your clothing on, in stacks, so that you can remove an item from the middle without messing up all the other folded items in the stack.

They'll work in my suitcase, in the dresser drawers in the stateroom, on the shelves in the closet.... plus at home, for those depressing months that I'm not at sea. :p I imagine that they will help with wrinkling, too, by keeping things flat and preventing them from shifting inside the luggage.

They won't ship until October, but I'll still get them in plenty of time for my next cruise in early December on Navigator. :D

I have no affiliation with this product -- just wanted to share a really cool item with my fellow cruise-lovers. Bonus, too, that they're made from recycled materials... save the waves!

(And I realize that this thread will probably get moved over to the generic forum at some point, but I wanted to post it here in the Royal Caribbean section first, as that's where I spend 95% of my time on Cruise Critic, so I wanted to share my find with my "CC family" first.)

We've been using packing cubes and folders for eons and I don't think I could pack for a cruise without them. Makes packing easier, clothes have little to no wrinkles and you can actually pack more. If you're luggage is overweight, you can just weigh each cube/folder, and then start to eliminate from a folder and not the entire suitcase.

Makes unpacking on the ship quicker and easier as folders will fit on shelves or into drawers. I have had dinner clothes packed in folders for up to 7 days, using dry cleaner bags when folding each item, and when I unpack they are 98% wrinkle free.

Edited by cruisenfever

Looks pretty cool, and reasonably priced @ $1 each in quantities of 20, 40, 60, etc. If you get to 100 or more, there is a slight savings per piece. I don't think they would work that well in my one piece of carryon luggage, but I'm thinking they might come in handy for organizing papers on my desk. I didn't follow through far enough to see what the shipping charges might be.

Looks pretty cool, and reasonably priced @ $1 each in quantities of 20, 40, 60, etc. If you get to 100 or more, there is a slight savings per piece. I don't think they would work that well in my one piece of carryon luggage, but I'm thinking they might come in handy for organizing papers on my desk. I didn't follow through far enough to see what the shipping charges might be.

Quantities of 40 and 60 both had $7 in shipping tacked on when I tried them. I didn't try any other quantity.

Would buy some if in the store here or in the US we were in. Not going to pay for shipping etc. Would only use them at home.

I can see them getting picked up to be carried by stores such as The Container Store or Bed Bath & Beyond in the future. They haven't even hit production yet for direct sales (the KickStarter campaign just ended), so not available anywhere yet.

My future plans involve working on a cruise ship as a nurse down the road, so any space-saving tricks will help (as will paring down all the crap I have in my current home!). ;)

After watching the video, I think I will stick with cubes and folders as for us they are more versatile, they weigh nothing and we can accomplish the same thing and get more into our rolling duffel.

Edited by cruisenfever

I'd like them for waedrobe shelves but will stick with cubes and folders for packing. I would imagine shipping cost to Uk and Europe would be prohibitive

Sandy in Spain

Wow!! That' such a good idea. I hate when I grab a shirt or sweater from my closet and the whole pile comes falling down.

This also just gave me an idea. I haven't been on a cruise yet, but I hear that the drawers in most cabins aren't very deep. I wonder I it would be worth it to bring something like this? (Don't know if I can wait until these come out in October)

image.jpg.aee44a12261f3d67a87612fed3e2dac1.jpg

Those look more like home use and a checked bag than for a carry-on especially a duffel bag...Not saying don't use it, but to each they own on how they like to organized the inside of their luggage. Personally, it won't work for me because I use a carry-on size duffel bags and packing cubes let's me stuff /roll my entire wardrobe without having to fold anything while still having space for my 4 pairs of shoes.

While this aids may be worthwhile at home I have serious doubts for them to be functional for packing. Ezstax come in 2 sizes. One 13.5 X 11.5 X 2 inches and 9 X 12 X 2 inches. An Eagle Creek packing cube is 14 X 10 X 3 inches. I know I can roll 6 polo's or 8 tee shirts in a cube. In my carry on I usually pack 1 cube and 2 half cubes in the base and one 18" folder in the lid. In the folder I can carry 3 pairs of pants and 3 collar shirt.

Shak

IMG_2092.jpg

IMG_2094.jpg

This is an interesting concept that I would try if and when the price is right and they are more easily available. For now I'll stick with my packing cubes. Nonetheless, thanks for sharing as it's always interesting to see new products that might aid in packing and storage.;)