Is a romper ok in the MDR?

thehams

We will be on RCI - Navigator. I know shorts are not allowed in the MDR but what about a romper? It's shorts, but then it's different, so it as me all confused.

For those that know what a romper is, please let me know what you think.

I did post under cruise fashion but I figured this section gets a lot more traffic.

We will be on RCI - Navigator. I know shorts are not allowed in the MDR but what about a romper? It's shorts, but then it's different, so it as me all confused.

I did post under cruise fashion but I figured this section gets a lot more traffic.

Yes, I know what a romper is and it is not appropriate in the MDR. Hope this helps.

For those that know what a romper is, please let me know what you think....

If shorts are not allowed, what would give you the idea a romper would be acceptable? Of course it would not be allowed.

Scott & Karen

If shorts are not allowed, what would give you the idea a romper would be acceptable? Of course it would not be allowed.

Scott & Karen

Whoa whoa there, I just asked a honest question. They are not shorts, it's a romper, which had me a little confused.

No need for harshness, but thanks :)

Edited by thehams

You actually answered your own question when you wrote "It's shorts, but ...." No shorts means no shorts.

I know shorts are not allowed in the MDR but what about a romper? It's shorts, but then it's different, so it as me all confused.

...They are not shorts, it's a romper...

A romper is a simply a "onesie" which is shorts. You know this. :)

Edited by Langley Cruisers

I have seen dressy shorts worn by younger women in the MDR. I would not call them shorts, they are usually made out of a silky material and worn with heels and a dressy top. I even saw a very dressy pair on a formal night that looked fantastic. My own daughter has a pair and loves wearing them to clubs in the evening. If your Romper comes into that category you should be fine.

The only way to find out is to pack them, wear them and if you are turned away, be polite and slip back to your cabin and change into a skirt or trousers.

But if the Romper is just like a pair of day shorts with a top half, I don't think this would be appropriate. Just consider, would you wear them to an up market restaurant.

I think it's a legitimate question. If the issue with shorts was the length of the hemline then the rule would be no hemlines x above the knees, but plenty of women wear mini skirts and dresses, in fact I myself have lots of dresses I wear to the MDR that sit well above my knees, and I would consider myself a fairly conservative dresser for someone in their mid 30's. The issue with "shorts" in the MDR is that they are generally too casual or to beachwear looking. That's really what they don't want to see in there. So I think a fashionable, more formal looking romper would no more inappropriate than most of the dresses worn in the MDR, as long as it wasn't a super casual one. If it's something you would wear out on the town or to a nice dinner at home then I would consider it "fancy" enough to be accepted in the MDR, as long as it wasn't hot pant length or super low cut :)

I'm cruising Carnival and if you dress the romper up in heels and and nice jewlery it would totally be aceptable, people do not know that rompers are now a classer attire if you dress it up.. My romper is all lace and realy dressy.

Girl wear your romper. I know the higher class ships may look down on Carnival and feel it is accpeted but if you dress it up you should be fine.....

Opinion only:

I think some people are getting 'trendy' confused with 'formal'. I just tried google imaging 'formal romper' and none of the resulting pics were anything I'd want to wear to a nice restaurant, no matter how they were styled. I'm sure there are a few people out there with model proportions and very good accessorizing skills who can make it work, but I don't think that'll turn out to be most people.

I won't mind when this trend ends.

/Opinion only

Edited by perditax

I'm cruising Carnival and if you dress the romper up in heels and and nice jewlery it would totally be aceptable, people do not know that rompers are now a classer attire if you dress it up.. My romper is all lace and realy dressy.

Girl wear your romper. I know the higher class ships may look down on Carnival and feel it is accpeted but if you dress it up you should be fine.....

I agree! Also I think shorts can be acceptable depending on how you wear them. I have seen them worn on Princess and Carnival by young women and think they are perfectly acceptable when they are dressy shorts. I've seen women with longer length shorts that have been dressed up with heels and those women have looked very nice.

Sounds like the one piece gym suits we wore in high school 55 years ago...EM

gym1_zpsumycmnhj.jpg

I remember those. :eek: I'm going to have to show this to DH - we were talking just the other day and I was trying to describe our gym suits to him and I don't think he got it (don't know how the subject came up).

I was correct in my assumption that romper suite means something different there!

A Romper Suite is a babygrow here. Those jersey material all in ones that newborn's wear!

My daughter (15) wore what I assume you mean on a formal night and looked lovely. (That said it was a uk based booze cruise) I wore a cocktail dress and felt very over dressed!

Edited by Canugess

I love that photo of the gym suit. That is what ours looked like back in my school days. :)

I wouldn't wear a romper of any sort of fabric. It is shorts and the cruise line says shorts are not permitted in MDR for dinner.

Edited by sail7seas

I think dressed up, with the right shoes, jewelry, etc. that you could wear a romper; I think with flip-flops, or a very casual romper, that you might have a problem.

Dress is definitely getting more casual and people do often "push the limits". Currently RC says no shorts in the MDR but doesn't always enforce. I think if you are questioned, or anyone who is refused entry for incorrect dress, should accept that they broke the rules and be prepared to leave and change.

Oh come on ladies! Gym uniform 55 years ago? This is 2015 give the OP a break.

OP, If your romper look like these, wear them. You would look better than most.

[ATTACH]361347[/ATTACH][ATTACH]361348[/ATTACH][ATTACH]361349[/ATTACH]

By the way, I have a few of DVF and Eileen Fisher rompers, I wore them during the day around the ship.

Edited by Porthopper101

By the way, I have a few of DVF and Eileen Fisher rompers, I wore them during the day around the ship.

Wearing something like that "around the ship during the day" isn't the same as dinner in the MDR.

Oh come on ladies! Gym uniform 55 years ago? This is 2015 give the OP a break.

OP, If your romper look like these, wear them. You would look better than most.

[ATTACH]361347[/ATTACH][ATTACH]361348[/ATTACH][ATTACH]361349[/ATTACH]

Those photos persuaded more firmly in the "No" side of this vote.

They didn't convince me in the least of being appropriate. Actually, I find them quite unattractive and the short shorts of the first on the left side is hardly appropriate per the dress code that says no shorts for MDR at night.

Edited by sail7seas