No more comedians'

biker@sea

I like the comedians! I have noticed that there are none when sailing out of European ports with many languages onboard. That's understandable but I'd miss them on itineraries with mostly English speakers....even if we've heard the cruise jokes multiple times.

We definitely missed the comedian/stand up show(s) on the Dawn this month. While I'm sure Second City is top-notch and does a great job, I feel that there is a distinct difference between true stand-up comedy and improvisational "improv" comedy.

I agree, and Second City is too USA to be on European cruises as are most comedians, the only things I missed on the Spirit.

In Sept. the Getaway had comedians doing standup - they were fine. So no, they are not getting rid of comedy on ships - it may be in the form of a stand up in a smaller venue or even second city, but in the US you will still have the opportunity to enjoy this entertainment.

And don't forget Epic has Blue Man Group - that is funny with no need to speak English. Epic will be moving at the end of this season to Europe permanently.

From what I have read recently, the Dawn has a Second City troupe on board. Maybe Second City is the comedic entertainment in lieu of an individual comedian. Thoughts on this?

I hope that they don't plan to have Second City in lieu of comedians. I'm not a fan of Second City.

We enjoy second city,,,but lately for an improv show,they have been very scripted...same lines, same stories, same, same, same..... as are most of the events/shows/games on NCL. We do love NCL and sailing, but feel it is time for some entertainment changes

Safe sailing

Just off the Dawn . They had second city only no comedians.

I wonder if it had to do with the change in itinerary? as it did a different route... I think the comedians do only a couple of days and with changing where the ship was going it might have mucked up the schedule

When we cruised in May on the DAWN we did have a comedian and Second City. I dont remember his name, it wasnt Tim Kaminski, he was up in Toronto filming a movie. When we cruised on the DAWN again on Oct 17, there was only Second City...Not a fan.

When we cruised in May on the DAWN we did have a comedian and Second City. I dont remember his name, it wasnt Tim Kaminski, he was up in Toronto filming a movie. When we cruised on the DAWN again on Oct 17, there was only Second City...Not a fan.

Agreed - I am not a fan of the Second City groups either. I did like Tim Kaminski though, except he needs some new material. I was amazed that both of my cruise that he was on had him doing the Wizard of Oz skit.

We were on Breakaway's first sailing back to the Bahamas early this month after it stopped doing the Bermuda itinerary. We had no comedian/magician/headliner show either. Don't know if it was due to the itinerary change or if this is indeed the new thing.

I hope that they don't plan to have Second City in lieu of comedians. I'm not a fan of Second City.

Agreed. Second city is just not good, especially if you have seen the act two, three, four times etc. Same ole crap that wasn't really funny the first time. I suppose they are cheap and NCL saves a couple nickels booking them.

Agreed. Second city is just not good, especially if you have seen the act two, three, four times etc. Same ole crap that wasn't really funny the first time. I suppose they are cheap and NCL saves a couple nickels booking them.

Agree, they need some new material. Just saw the blow up doll routine for about the 5th time recently..

NCL has had Second City for many years. The newest ship, Getaway, does not have Second City but instead Levity Entertainment Group is providing nationally recognized stand up comedy acts. It doesn't really follow that they are moving towards Second City in place of stand up, when the newest ship has moved away from Second City in lieu of stand up.

Edited by LrgPizza

Agree, they need some new material. Just saw the blow up doll routine for about the 5th time recently..

I LOVE that routine...still can laugh just thinking about it...

But I will scream if I see it performed one more time! !!!!!

Safe sailing

Thank God. I'm no prude but any comedian that get laughs out of attempting crude humor of the single chicks got old, real quick. On the Star I got a chuckle out of it as the young lady's dad was in the table behind. That was more humorous than the comedian.

No loss.

Lot's of people like Second City (including me) I don't see how they are supposed to save a nickel by using a brand named product. Getting a local comedian I would say is cheaper. All three - second city, single act and blue man group (also a brand) are different styles of comedy. Having some form of comedy on all ships is ideal.