Has anyone been successful in finding roll calls for river crusies?

MomC

I tried to post asking if others were going on my river cruise--on AMA to Vietnam and Cambodia. I was told that is a no-no, which shocked me since this happens all the time with ocean cruises. I was told to open a roll call for my cruise. So WHERE do I do that??? I have been a member of Cruise Critic for over 10 years and have never seen a roll call site for river cruises. Who, what, where, why and when is this the case????

Mom C

I tried to post asking if others were going on my river cruise--on AMA to Vietnam and Cambodia. I was told that is a no-no, which shocked me since this happens all the time with ocean cruises. I was told to open a roll call for my cruise. So WHERE do I do that??? I have been a member of Cruise Critic for over 10 years and have never seen a roll call site for river cruises. Who, what, where, why and when is this the case????

Mom C

Try here

Its in the Roll Calls

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=685

Edited by Thecat123

Also realize a very small percentage of river cruisers are on this board. I found more success in posting a roll call for an entire itinerary for the season for a specific line. I think there's 4 or 5 of us doing the Catherine this year in France... even though we may not ever meet in person it's useful to share the information.

I posted a roll call, several months back, for my Uniworld cruise this summer. Not one single response from anyone on that cruise, even though the cruise is sold out. Not sure if most people don't know where the river cruise roll calls are, or the subset of river cruisers reading CC is extremely tiny? :confused:

or the subset of river cruisers reading CC is extremely tiny? :confused:

This. It's a numbers game. Even on ocean cruises, a very small proportion of cruisers on any given ship will be active or even know about Cruise Critic. But when the ship in question is 120 passengers instead of 3500? You just don't have the people.....

I enjoyed the "Christmas Markets 2014" thread and even though there WERE people on my itinerary posting, we didn't meet. On a small boat, I don't find the meet-up to be an important consideration. But the planning regarding the itinerary (and packing and shopping etc) is fun in advance!

What some of us have done is join a RC (roll call) for a certain ship or itinerary, despite what the sail date is. We've gained a lot of good information that way and it's fun to find out from others that are cruising before you, what they thought of the experience.

If you open up some of the other posts in the RC section, I think you'll see there are people from many sail dates.

There were 1-2 folks from Cruise Critic on my Danube cruise last fall. I'm doing the Vietnam/Cambodia itinerary with Uniworld over Christmas/New Year's and opened a thread for everyone doing that itinerary this year in the roll calls, but haven't heard anything. Happy to chat about planning to visit that area of the world, even though we're on different cruise lines.

I posted a roll call, several months back, for my Uniworld cruise this summer. Not one single response from anyone on that cruise, even though the cruise is sold out. Not sure if most people don't know where the river cruise roll calls are, or the subset of river cruisers reading CC is extremely tiny? :confused:

Happy Holiday

Did the same for AMA Spain & Provence in Aug 2016. Not one reply. I like to think that DH and I will have the entire vessel to ourselves :).

Having posted on CC for ocean cruises my guess is that either river cruisers are not aware of CC , or they are traveling with their own groups (family etc) or they consider themselves too sophisticated for boards . Thoughts?

carole

I created a roll-call for my October trip on the Nile with Uniworld. When I realized that I would get very little response, I had the moderator change the title to include all Uniworld 2015 Nile trips. I now have one other poster so far and we're conversing. Makes sense to do it this way I think.

I started a Paris/Normandy All Ships two years ago and it is still going strong! The purpose is to share information about tours, restaurants, etc., and if you happen to meet another person or two who are on your cruise, that's even better.

Much of the same experience last year when posting for your 2014 Uniworld Castles on the Rhine cruise. After several attempts didn't get on response. When I got on the cruise and started talking to people it made sense. I probably asked 30 or more people about CC and not one of them had even heard of it let alone visited. I was really surprised. But it also explained why none of them knew hardly anything about the cruise we were on including the boat itself or the itinerary. It almost became comical as people were constantly coming up asking questions about the cruise as I became the go to person. And almost everything I knew came from following CC for about a year in advance of the cruise. It certainly wasn't a superior attitude from people. It was exactly the opposite. Just a lack of knowledge.

I think part of the problem with river cruise roll calls, is that since the cruise lines include most all the tours, many people don't take the effort to even think. They just want to show up and be lead around for a week, get on the plane and go home. Many of the ocean cruisers use the roll calls to set up small group private tours, and gain port info, especially since they may spend an entire day at port. Look at all the river cruises where only a few hours to a half day is spent in many of the ports, and the cruise companies provide included tours for those short stops. Of the 184 people on our last river cruise, maybe 10 did any private tours during the entire week. I have a friend taking the same Viking tour I did last fall. I am counseling them on which Viking tours to take and which to avoid, along with options and pointing them to tour companies that can help make their tour more enjoyable, if one is needed. Unfortunately, there is not a roll call to help them. I wish I could find the comparable info for my upcoming Uniworld cruise. People will allude to the point that perhaps a certain visit was poor, but they don't offer any suggestions to what might be better. Guess that means I have to do more homework.

Much of the same experience last year when posting for your 2014 Uniworld Castles on the Rhine cruise. After several attempts didn't get on response. When I got on the cruise and started talking to people it made sense. I probably asked 30 or more people about CC and not one of them had even heard of it let alone visited. I was really surprised. But it also explained why none of them knew hardly anything about the cruise we were on including the boat itself or the itinerary. It almost became comical as people were constantly coming up asking questions about the cruise as I became the go to person. And almost everything I knew came from following CC for about a year in advance of the cruise. It certainly wasn't a superior attitude from people. It was exactly the opposite. Just a lack of knowledge.

Totally agree with you both. I think the river cruisers are just unaware of CC & as stated since RCs are usually fairly all inclusive they have no reason to research etc. My love of CC is for all the info & opinions (pros and cons)that can be culled. Perhaps CC which is part of Trip Advisor should work out some sort of ad insert in river cruise companies" brochures, websites.

Happy holidays to all

Carole

Having the same issue on Avalon in September on the Rhine, I do miss the connections you get on the big ship boards. Some folks here have been helpful when I was choking the cruise and I am grateful for that!

Having the same issue on Avalon in September on the Rhine, I do miss the connections you get on the big ship boards. Some folks here have been helpful when I was choking the cruise and I am grateful for that!

You will find people to connect with on a River cruise there are many opportunities to strike up a conversation. There are so few passengers and you are always together. 3 meals a day, the excursions, in the lounge for happy hour. Especially on Avalon you meet up at the hotel beforehand.

I think part of the problem with river cruise roll calls, is that since the cruise lines include most all the tours, many people don't take the effort to even think. They just want to show up and be lead around for a week, get on the plane and go home. Many of the ocean cruisers use the roll calls to set up small group private tours, and gain port info, especially since they may spend an entire day at port. Look at all the river cruises where only a few hours to a half day is spent in many of the ports, and the cruise companies provide included tours for those short stops. Of the 184 people on our last river cruise, maybe 10 did any private tours during the entire week. I have a friend taking the same Viking tour I did last fall. I am counseling them on which Viking tours to take and which to avoid, along with options and pointing them to tour companies that can help make their tour more enjoyable, if one is needed. Unfortunately, there is not a roll call to help them. I wish I could find the comparable info for my upcoming Uniworld cruise. People will allude to the point that perhaps a certain visit was poor, but they don't offer any suggestions to what might be better. Guess that means I have to do more homework.

We join ocean cruise rolls calls to join private tour groups. Since River cruise pricing includes a tour in every port the roll calls are not that important.

There is general information in the river cruise section on which included tours should be upgraded and what optional tours are worth the extra money.

In any event the small sized River boats do not have enough passengers for individual roll calls.

• 4 weeks later...

From my own experience... it doesn't make any sense to create a roll-call for you specific cruise. I had 18 months and met zero people on the cruise here. The ship was sold out 6 months in.

So, I agree with Wendy the Wanderer, I would in retrospect, post something like Avalon Eastern Danube 2016.. I think you would have a few others doing your cruise, but not your cruise. If you know what I mean.

JMHO

jc

• 4 weeks later...

Good comments. I would add that river cruisers also appear to be more experienced travelers, in general, than the average big ship cruiser. Less "need" to pre-arrange social events, tours, etc.

On our Azamara Mumbai-Pireaus transit last year CC was invaluable as a forum to exchange information on visa requirements, pre-cruise travel in India, and private tours. Approximately 14 percent (69 of 490 passengers) attended the CC M&M, which is a high ratio. Through CC we met a wonderful single lady traveling alone and we were able to arrange a 5-day tour of the Golden Triangle for the three of us.

Do loath the penchant for some on CC to "collect" personal information, post it on the roll call or separate website, tracking room numbers, flights, hotel stays, etc. Aggravating and a danger to security if that travel information falls into the wrong hands. Also not necessary to have a separate "roll call" with the CC roll call.

I opened a roll call for our Vantage Douro River cruise in Portugal May 2016 and so far no one else has posted anything. It has been my experience that roll calls for river cruises are generally not active.

I think part of the problem with river cruise roll calls, is that since the cruise lines include most all the tours, many people don't take the effort to even think. They just want to show up and be lead around for a week, get on the plane and go home. Many of the ocean cruisers use the roll calls to set up small group private tours, and gain port info, especially since they may spend an entire day at port. ... I wish I could find the comparable info for my upcoming Uniworld cruise. People will allude to the point that perhaps a certain visit was poor, but they don't offer any suggestions to what might be better. Guess that means I have to do more homework.

I think that's a bit of an exaggeration, that people "don't think". It's just that since tours are included, people take advantage of them. And since the vessels are so small, it would be tough to organize small-group private tours for a particular sailing.

What I like about a roll-call is the sharing of information about the destinations. I've been following the "All Amsterdam to Budapest...2015" roll-call thread because I'm doing this itin. in 2016. But so far it's all just about who's going and where they are from--no real information about the ports at all, or even questions. I am hoping to get more insights as time goes on--since we're going with another couple we *could* do something private, but with Tauck providing *everything*, it's a tough call.

Although getting to know people online prior tocruising with them is nice, it's not my main reason for doing a roll-call. It's about the excitement building, and the sharing of discussion, questions and knowledge about the trip.

So it's all rather useless to me I guess. (And btw, there have now been two other posters on my "Uniworld Egypt" thread.)

How interesting, river cruisers don't need to do any research because everything is organised. Even more reason so you can decide which excursion to take what else is in the area especially for history geeks like me. Also if you talk to many river cruisers they are of an age (so many complain about the demographic) that they have done their own thing over many years so now that according to some people being in our dotage (I think not) they quite enjoy the luxury of things being sorted for them. Think why there are so many river cruise companies with so many different itineraries so much more effort can be put into enjoying oneself, qed.

Enjoy your cruising however and wherever you do it.

CC 🇬🇧

I think that's a bit of an exaggeration, that people "don't think". It's just that since tours are included, people take advantage of them. And since the vessels are so small, it would be tough to organize small-group private tours for a particular sailing.

What I like about a roll-call is the sharing of information about the destinations. I've been following the "All Amsterdam to Budapest...2015" roll-call thread because I'm doing this itin. in 2016. But so far it's all just about who's going and where they are from--no real information about the ports at all, or even questions. I am hoping to get more insights as time goes on--since we're going with another couple we *could* do something private, but with Tauck providing *everything*, it's a tough call.

Although getting to know people online prior tocruising with them is nice, it's not my main reason for doing a roll-call. It's about the excitement building, and the sharing of discussion, questions and knowledge about the trip.

So it's all rather useless to me I guess. (And btw, there have now been two other posters on my "Uniworld Egypt" thread.)

Wendy,

I agree with you re sharing of info etc.You are totally correct in that RC are usually all inclusive there does not seem to be a reason for roll calls. However it would be nice if information on the various ports could be shared both pros and cons.

Carole

Wendy,

I agree with you re sharing of info etc.You are totally correct in that RC are usually all inclusive there does not seem to be a reason for roll calls. However it would be nice if information on the various ports could be shared both pros and cons.

Carole

There is a River Cruise Ports sections for this purpose:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=440

plus you can often get excellent advice in the reviews of river cruises (here or in the Reviews section of CC) on the itinerary you are planning -- from someone who has actually done the trip (rather than a fellow anticipator -- river cruising isn't like the Caribbean where there's always someone on your Roll Call who has been to each island many times ;)). I was able to make informed choices about all the excursion options on my upcoming AMA Rhone cruise thanks to such reviews.

I believe a lot of people enjoy "not having to think" and that is a big reason why the roll call section for river cruises is so small. They would still be nice to have. A friend is currently doing the Viking Southern Rhone Portraits and Nice extension that we did last fall. I was able to tell her what Viking tours to take, and which ones to miss altogether and what alternatives to do. The shortcoming of no Roll Call is that she had to do the tour bookings as a party of two, instead of being able to get better deals with a full van. I believe that if roll calls and more options existed for private tours, a lot more people would be taking them in certain ports. Since they don't seem to catch on, a lot of people feel stuck with the cruise line tours, some of which are great while others are horrible. What was painfully demonstrated on that last Viking cruise was, all it may take to turn a tour into a horrible tour is a fellow cruiser, or two, that refuses to join the "slow" group tour, and brings a tour that is suppose to cover about 10-12 blocks down to one that covers about 4 or 5. The majority of the tour is spent waiting on that person(s) to walk and catch up, or sit and rest. The sad part of the commentary is Viking allows those same people to do the same thing day after day, and refuses to change the game plan and "force" them to the slow group. The tours are very slow paced as it is, and can become painfully slow very easily.

For many of the locations visited, these cruises probably will be the only/last time I will ever visit them again. I would have no problem joining a group and paying for a private tour in these locales that offered packages that meet my needs. This is something common on ocean cruises. As stated above, without the roll calls the expense of doing so increases dramatically.