Dressing for International flight

lesley_willis1971

Good morning!

My mother and I are flying to Rome in October and I have a question about dressing for this flight. I want to dress comfortably but also look nice. I love wearing those long maxi dresses with flip flops. The flip lops would be convenient when going through security as well. My concern is, I've heard that wearing those long dresses can be an issue with security. Anyone worn these on flights before? An international flight? Had any issues?

I'd be concerned that if something were to happen and you had to evacuate the plane, you might lose a flip-flop and have to go barefoot, which could of course be a problem with the possibilities of fire, broken things, and rough terrain.

I often wear a sweatshirt when I fly. At airports without the full-body scanners, I have been asked to remove the sweatshirt or had to be patted down because it was baggy. I suppose the same thing might happen with your dress...not that they'll expect you to remove it, haha, but that you might need to be patted down.

I love wearing those long maxi dresses with flip flops. The flip lops would be convenient when going through security as well.
I've never heard of a long dress being a security issue, and I see plenty of women wearing long dresses. Security are able to see whatever they need to see, whatever you're wearing.

I would advise against wearing flip flops. They're a safety issue. In airports and on aircraft, there are lots of heavy things being carried and rolled around by stressed people and by staff and crew. Flip flops provide you no protection against stuff like that. And that's even before we get to the esoterics of what happens if you have to evacuate the aircraft in a hurry (which happens a little more often than you might think).

Flip flops are a bad idea to wear at the beginning and end of a flight. Those are the times where you could have to evacuate and you want good footwear on at that time. After 10,000 ft, and before the landing gear comes down, feel free to change into whatever is comfortable for you.

For the long dress: There are anecdotal postings on some other flight-related websites of women being targeted by TSA for extra screenings because of long dresses and skirts. If you are picked for the random grope, you will have to allow the clerk to lift up your dress and reach inside your dress to allow them to slide their hands up the inside of your legs until they "meet resistance", aka, hit your pubic area. Do you really want to risk that possibility? Just wear yoga pants through the checkpoint and, if you want, change into the maxi dress afterwards.

When travelling internationally I am more concerned about weight. I wear the heavyest pair of my two walking shoes, the most comfortable heavyest pants, and sweater. I try to keep my checked in bag at about 40lbs, with 10 lbs for my purchases coming home. I pack most of my shoes in my carry on, two changes of clothes. Small purse that can be put in my messenger bag I put under the seat. The messenger bag holds my ipad, magazines, travel docs, some snacks, jewelry.

When travelling internationally I am more concerned about weight. I wear the heavyest pair of my two walking shoes, the most comfortable heavyest pants, and sweater.

Yup, me too -- I try to wear my heaviest weight clothing -- including pants and shoes and a sweater is over a lightweight t-shirt that I can take off once airborne too. My shoes often come off on long-distance flights too.

I've got another angle for you to consider. You don't want to walk European streets in flip flops period. If you want to change into them during the flight or use them on the ship that's one thing but don't even consider trying to keep your feet either clean or free from abrasions on the often cobbled streets of Europe.

You could wear flip-flops thru security, then change to something else you might pack in your carryon. I have been wearing loafers for several years now, & they do the job nicely.

Steve

Thank you all for your responses. I think I'm gonna go another direction in dress. Not found of the thought of being "patted" down by a total stranger .

As for not wearing flip flops in Europe....are you mostly referring to the stability of them ?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

And just to clarify....I'm not a bum with no class. I wear very nice flip flops for comfort. I'm not referring to the cheap $2 old navy type. But I have what I believe are called bunyuns developing. So it's very painful to wear shoes that rub them (which are pretty much all shoes, except flip flops).

. But I have what I believe are called bunyuns developing. So it's very painful to wear shoes that rub them (which are pretty much all shoes, except flip flops).

Hello: I feel your pain…. For European cities, that can have cobbled areas, you need really well supporting shoes. It is possible to find ones with wide enough toe-boxes for toe issues. I have a pair of K-Swiss sneakers that look like these. http://www.amazon.com/K-Swiss-Womens-Keahou-Running-Silver/dp/B004KMFN3I/ref=sr_1_53?ie=UTF8&qid=1395067187&sr=8-53&keywords=k-swiss+womens+shoes

The mesh allows for the shoes not to rub my feet. You may also try some moleskin in any area that rubs.

For air travel I wear Crocs, with socks, that are easy to slip on and off --I use them around the ship also. Planes can be chilly...

Edited by Alaskanb

As for not wearing flip flops in Europe....are you mostly referring to the stability of them ?

Yes.....it's not about class or "looking like a bum" -- There are many cobblestone streets and sidewalks in European cities.

Not found of the thought of being "patted" down by a total stranger.
However, you may get patted down whatever you're wearing - including, in some places, at random rather than because you've set off some detector. It's simply part of the experience.

However, you may get patted down whatever you're wearing - including, in some places, at random rather than because you've set off some detector. It's simply part of the experience.

In any case, it is "easier" to be groped in pants than in a maxi-dress; Lord only knows what you could be hiding in there :rolleyes:

Not just stability -- though that's certainly an important consideration. But also, you'll need something with sturdy soles to help absorb the impact of walking long distances on not just hard surfaces but cobblestones. (Trust me, I've gotten very store from stone bruises.) The typical "soft sole" of a flip flop or even some comfort shoes isn't enough to absorb the shock.

Also, you're going to be walking around in a busy city. Chances are great that someone will tread on your foot and/or that you'll stub a toe.

Loose fitting light clothing that can breath. I have found 100% Egyptian cotton to work the best for me. I carry a sweater in my carry on as sometimes the plane is cool. I wear good walking shoes which I remove during the flight. You can always add clothing if you get a chill but if you start off in heavy clothing it's hard to remove too much to cool down if you get hot.

The "Pat Down" they are supposed to use the back of their hands down each leg feeling for obstruction or bulge.

Latest thing happening to me is thru a scanner (Metal Detector or Millimeter) it "randomly" alarms and you have to go get your hands tested for explosive. same thing they use on the bags, wipe a cloth then cloth goes into machine. Back of my hands, and cloth into the machine for a reading.

Happened randomly twice to me in 10 trips thru. Both times the Officer said i was randomly selected... LOL.... :cool::D

I've got another angle for you to consider. You don't want to walk European streets in flip flops period.... don't even consider trying to keep your feet either clean or free from abrasions on the often cobbled streets of Europe.

I guess it depends on where you are in Europe. I've had no problems keeping my feet both clean and injury-free while wearing flip flops in assorted small towns in Ireland, London, Tuscany and Venice. Cobblestones or uneven pavement CAN be an issue, but there are plenty of areas with nice, normal paved roads and sidewalks too. YMMV

Thank you all for your responses. I think I'm gonna go another direction in dress. Not found of the thought of being "patted" down by a total stranger .

Just FYI...You can still be selected for a random pat down, no matter how you're addressed.

I've got another angle for you to consider. You don't want to walk European streets in flip flops period. If you want to change into them during the flight or use them on the ship that's one thing but don't even consider trying to keep your feet either clean or free from abrasions on the often cobbled streets of Europe.

Actually , if you are used to them , cobblestone streets don't really cause a problem. I live in a city with cobblestone streets and have worn my Havianas in Europe with no stubbed toes on many occasions.

For my long flights I generally wear loose fitting linen pants and a cotton tee with a scarf around my neck which I can use on the plane. I wear flats which I can take off and put on quickly. I also take a dark colored cardigan. Works well for me.