945 flight of the Oasis at FLL

Hey all, this board has been super helping in booking stuff in the past. I am trying to save some money by booking an early flight.

I was wondering if I booked a 945 am flight for disembark day would I be able to make it on time?

I would be on the oasis in fort lauderdale.

Any insight would help.

If you look over on the Florida Departures board, you will see this discussed almost daily.

You might make it. They do off load Oasis and Allure pretty quickly. But it will be tight, and after spending a lot of money for your nice vacation, you want to worry about a tight flight schedule for the way home? Any little glitch, and you missed your flight.

The airlines make these flights cheap because there is lower demand at that time. There is lower demand, because it isn't a realistic flight for cruisers to catch.

Edited by CruiserBruce

I wouldn't but if you could do it anywhere it would be off Oasis or Allure. I'd suggest you carry off your own luggage. The question for me would be is the savings worth the stress.

Savings would be around 250$ which means an excursion or two or specialty restaurants. That's why I am considering this.

But it will be tight

It probably won't be tight. On both Oasis and Allure the vast majority of the time they are letting of self-debarkation passengers by 6:30. The latest I have been through FFL security and sitting at my gate was 7:30, and I mostly believe that was due to being in the back of the self-debarkation line putting me towards the back of an FLL security line that was extremely slow that day (single line and taking an unusually long time with each screening). YMMV.

Though it should be noted that this poster is correct that glitches can have an impact, but to make it hard to make this flight, there would have to either be one big one, or a number of little ones that add up.

This is typically my normal time frame. We've never had an issue. Now we do get priority screening and do bypass security lanes when available.

Though I now have precheck, this was not the case when I was posting back to CC (at my gate and sipping my coffee) at 7a after an Oasis cruise. Having some sort of priority bag check and/or security screening will help absorb those small glitches.

My experiences with early Oasis/Allure flights - 2 out of 3 not bad.

I always book an early flight home, the 8:10 or 8:30 non-stop FLL to DC because of the savings and that Oasis/Allure usually arrive very early.

I do self assist and take a taxi and am through security and at the airport gate by 7:15. No problem on the first two cruises. However - our last Allure arrival at Port Everglades was delayed 90 minutes due to a search the night before. We didn't find out until we woke up and noticed that the port was nowhere to been seen out our balcony at 5:30 am (minor panic).

Since we were doing the Western Caribbean, we were sailing close to Florida. I disabled roaming from my Verizon phone and got a good signal from shore. I called JetBlue (they are wonderful) and they switched me to a flight 2 hours later for only an additional $50 pp which was about the same what if I have paid had I booked the later flight initially.

Yes, were were lucky they had seats but I will do it again for the airfare savings. Other airlines may not have the same change fees. Try at your own risk!

Edited by loudbmw

If you are checking luggage you also need to figure in how early you have to arrive to meet the minimum time requirements for that.

In the end, it has been done in the past. It has also failed in the past. No one knows if your sailing might be delayed because of a rescue operation, redirect for passenger needing evacuation, or ship malfunction. Or, once you are ashore, that there will be enough customs agents and that their computers are working as they should. You may have a 95% chance of making, but that other 5% is mostly outside of your control. It just depends on whether you want to risk it and how much that bothers you.

You will probably be ok but I wouldnt chance it. You would have to be lined up to be one of the first ones off. Ive been on the Oasis and Allure three times and I feel comfortable now taking anything after a 1030 now. I know my last time on the Oasis they were back logged of getting people off

Edited by trev71

Hey all, this board has been super helping in booking stuff in the past. I am trying to save some money by booking an early flight.

I was wondering if I booked a 945 am flight for disembark day would I be able to make it on time?

I would be on the oasis in fort lauderdale.

Any insight would help.

9:45 am? :eek: You'll be saying plenty of "Hail Mary's" !! :D

When reading these types of threads, they are filled with "We do it all the time" or " we did it and were at the airport at 6:30". These stories are all true and if everything goes right the time is fine.

My story is we got off Independence in 2012 and were at the airport by 8:00! Hurray! Gimme a thumbs up!!!

We got in line for security and between people not following directions, few of the detectors being used, and just plain stupid people, we did not make it through security until almost 9:00. If our flight was leaving at 9:45, they would be closing the doors about 9:30? We would have had to really move it to get to the gate. A few more people thinking they could take their 8 inch knife with them and we would never have made it.

I would do it, but make sure to know the cost of needing to change your flight. Some airlines charge super high change fees and you could well end up on an evening flight if the other flights are full, which most are as the ships all unload at the same time.

We just had a flight departing FLL 9:00 a.m. on our recent Allure cruise.

We self-embarked, along with a lot of other passengers, and was at the airport by 7:00 a.m. It went very smoothly. No lines at the airport or security.

We booked the early flight because it was the only non-stop flight back on Southwest airlines.

We had plenty of time and I would try it again!

Every time I give serious thought to booking an earlier than recommended flight I remind myself that I will be just finishing up a relaxing cruise. Rather than re-join the rat race early I generally decide to forgo the savings and spend a less stressful day getting home.

You'll notice that almost all replies saying don't do it, too tight, etc have never even been on the ship. If they had, they'd know that self assist walk offs start leaving at 6:15 - 6:30. Plenty of time to make an early flight.

Of course there could be delayed debarkation. Anyone that worried about that will be booking their flight after 4PM or the next day.

So basically we are split 50/50 lol.

On a change of question I know I want to enjoy the ship but whats the latest I should realistically land.

The reason I ask is if I go safe and book a latter take off on disembark and can save by getting on a flight that lands at 240 on embarkation day.

The reason I ask is if I go safe and book a latter take off on disembark and can save by getting on a flight that lands at 240 on embarkation day.

Um ... 2:40pm arrival for a 4:30 departure? You can not be serious.

You do realize that airplanes can run late, right? Now you're just ASKING for trouble.

But go ahead , yea .. book it .. and let us know how you make out with that.

Edited by F27TW

Um ... 2:40pm arrival for a 4:30 departure? You can not be serious.

You do realize that airplanes can run late, right? Now you're just ASKING for trouble.

But go ahead , yea .. book it .. and let us know how you make out with that.

No need to get snide. It was just a simple question.

Sorry to take away from the thread , but I have a 12.45pm flight from Miami to LAX after Oasis trip . What is the time to Miami Int ? Last time we left the Oasis around 9.30am and was at FLL by 10.30am . I was hoping to do the same even though it is a greater distance and be at Miami Int by 11am . Sounds good ??