Best hotels in Barcelona for first-time visitor?

Sigyn

We have one night pre-cruise and two nights post-cruise in Barcelona in late August/early September.

I don't know where to stay. Las Ramblas looks interesting, still learning about various areas tho. Where do you think we should consider staying? Would it make more sense to stay in two separate hotels/areas to experience more of the city, or get to know one area well?

What hotels and areas do you recommend? Our budget is moderate. We don't want to spend $400 a night, but anything $250 and less is fine since this is our belated honeymoon and we want to treat ourselves to a wonderful experience. But the less we can spend and still have a great hotel experience, the better.

We were last in Barcelona in 2012 and had a hotel in our tour package, but I did find a very nice hotel for under $100 for our earlier 2011 visit. Sorry, don't remember its name.

I suggest using Kayak, TripAdvisor or Venere and look at hotel location and prices. Also, look at reviews for good quality. If you stay near Las Ramblas, you can probably find a hotel for $250, or go out to the Diagonal area, were we stayed once and look for a good three star for $100, then take the METRO.

Some will not like this, but my experience is that using Cruiseline hotels has unbeatable convenience with small price premium. It's easy to check prices. Price usually includes breakfast, transfers and a concierge with access to local tours. Don't like that idea, we like the Hotel Regina, right off Plaza Catalyuna.

I appreciate the advice. I guess one of my problems is narrowing it down to the best hotel for the price, and deciding whether to stay at two different hotels in two different areas, pre-cruise (one night) and post-cruise (two nights), or stay at the same place both times.

My list is long. I like the look and the reviews for each of these hotels and none of them are listed as being in the "sketchy" area of town. Here's my huge working list, along with prices for one of the nights we're in town:

Yurbban Trafalgar Hotel - $192

K+K Hotel Picasso - $178

Hotel Barcelona Catedral - $163

Olivia Plaza Hotel - $191

Hotel Jazz - $188

Hotel Nouvel - $134 for junior suite

H10 Metropolitan - $180

Acts Atrium Palace - $151

Hotel Colon - $194

Royal Ramblas Hotel - $182

I appreciate the advice. I guess one of my problems is narrowing it down to the best hotel for the price, and deciding whether to stay at two different hotels in two different areas, pre-cruise (one night) and post-cruise (two nights), or stay at the same place both times.

My list is long. I like the look and the reviews for each of these hotels and none of them are listed as being in the "sketchy" area of town. Here's my huge working list, along with prices for one of the nights we're in town:

K+K Hotel Picasso - $178

Hotel Jazz - $188

H10 Metropolitan - $180

Hotel Colon - $194

Did you compare the ratings of each on TripAdvisor. Also, TripAdvisor has a map feature that shows you the location of the hotels and you can check prices for each hotel at that time.

I have been looking also. I currently have a booking at the ARC Las Ramblas but have been looking to upgrade. I was checking out the H10 Metropolitan also. It is a newer hotel and has great reviews in a great area.

I would pick it for the post cruise and then someplace farther out for the pre cruise.

I think that would give a better chance to see more and each would be a new experience.

Just my 2 cents worth.

We have stayed at the hotel Jazz twice it is modern, clean and in a fantastic location. Lots or places nearby for breakfast and the pool is lovely after a full day exploring. If we were staying in Barcelona again it would be our first choice.

Have stayed at Hotel Jazz previously and would go there again but this summer we are going to stay in Sitges for a few days pre cruise. This is about 45 minutes outside of BCN on the beach.

eclue:rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

We did a lot of research also, and decided on the Yurbban Trafalgar Hotel. We looked for a hotel with a laundry, as well as a good breakfast, air conditioning since my husband had a lot of allergies, and with the added bonus of wine hour each night. All reviews gave the hotel a good choice for us, so that was where we plan to stay for four nights prior to our cruise in October. Not all hotels have laundry facilities and air conditioning. But, still open to any other suggestions.

For any honeymoon, belated or on-time, I would not recommend the Continental. The rooms remind me of a bordello - all pink, pink walls, pink quilted bed covers, pink quilted seat covers… I laughed when I got in that room (my 2 traveling friends made the reservations for the 3 of us). The Rubbermaid-like set of drawers, the very strange setup for using the electricity (more than just putting in the room card). The "all you can eat, all day, all night buffet) was a joke the entire time were were there. Rarely did it have all it's sections filled. Some things sat there for a loooong time. The wine tasted nasty. The one thing that was good was the coffee and the ice cream. Other than that, we'd head down to La Boqueria and grab fixings for our lunches and dinners and just used the buffet area for condiments and silverware. We had La Rambla balcony rooms - good to have to watch people at night and after the Champions League game played at Camp Nou between Barca and Milano...

We are just wrapping up a 4-night stay at Hotel Granvia and plan to stay here again pre-cruise Nov. 2017. Great location around the corner from Placa de Catalunya-we walked to Sagrada Familia, Picasso Museum, Port Vell, Las Ramblas.

K+K Hotel Picasso - $178

Hotel Jazz - $188

H10 Metropolitan - $180

Hotel Colon - $194

We stopped in a little bed and breakfast in the Born district. A pedestrian area with loads of good bars and Tapas eateries.Excellent area and close to transport. and the guy there sits down with you and will give you amap and make sure you have the best time in Barcelona.

it was Casa Marcelo and it cost us 170euros for 2 nights. And it only cost about 12 euros by taxi to the cruise boat.

Edited by bushyeyebrows

Great location- right on La Ramblas, nice room with free wifi and the best is 24 hour food! They have a very nice buffet with a good selection and the wine and beer is complimentary! Staff was helpful and friendly. Highly recommended!

Great location- right on La Ramblas, nice room with free wifi and the best is 24 hour food! They have a very nice buffet with a good selection and the wine and beer is complimentary! Staff was helpful and friendly. Highly recommended!

Personally I agree and we are staying there again in October. But there were people there in May who complained that the rooms and bathrooms are very small, that the buffet has very few food selections that aren't fruit, cheese, or pastry. And several didn't like the tap beer or tap wine. So evidently Hotel Continental is not for everyone. And the pink decor in the bedrooms bothers some.

Edited by NMLady

We have one night pre-cruise and two nights post-cruise in Barcelona in late August/early September.

I don't know where to stay. Las Ramblas looks interesting, still learning about various areas tho. Where do you think we should consider staying? Would it make more sense to stay in two separate hotels/areas to experience more of the city, or get to know one area well?

What hotels and areas do you recommend? Our budget is moderate. We don't want to spend $400 a night, but anything $250 and less is fine since this is our belated honeymoon and we want to treat ourselves to a wonderful experience. But the less we can spend and still have a great hotel experience, the better.

We have stayed in Sants, Montjuic, Eixample and Las Ramblas. Getting a good price for a central location has been the motivation.

All were great except Las Ramblas. I do not recall the name of the hotel but outside our window was a statue which was a meeting point for late-night party goers. There was a lot of party going on that night. It was 10 years ago and I can still recall the noise. It stopped at 7 am. I literally did not sleep. The cruise was great though.

So I would suggest that you check the reviews on Trip Advisor, look at the costs and go for one that is within your budget. Barcelona is accessible. I would go for a different hotel pre and post cruise just to experience two different areas.

Have a good trip

Good to hear. I will be there for four nights in October and had been meaning to look up the WiFi situation.