Reactions to 2018/19 Itineraries

Travelcat2

I've only scanned the itineraries since there are so many of them.

Good to see that the Explorer will be doing Africa. Not as happy to see her in South America.

At first glance, I find the Mariner's itineraries boring, and the Navigator's quite interesting (especially having the Navigator sail from L.A. to Tahiti - rough seas for a ship that doesn't take the seas as well as her sister ships).

No clue yet what we will be booking but it will likely be in both 2018 and 2019.

Good to see that the Explorer will be doing Africa. Not as happy to see her in South America.

As with most things, opinions will vary. As I mentioned in the thread about the release of the 2018 and early 2019 itineraries, we are very happy to see the Explorer doing South America right in the timeframe we'd planned (expecting the Mariner).

Although not a fan of Brazil, I am giving a harder look at South America (itineraries that do not include Brazil).

Just noticed that the rumor about Regent not doing the Amazon in 2018 is not true.

There are a few unique itineraries that I'm looking into (this is like studying for a test - it is 10:20 a.m. here and I'm not even dressed - too busy studying).

I've see a few that look interesting, but I'm also noticing a trend toward longer itineraries. We're still limited to usually 14-15 days or less, so the longer ones, although they look cool, won't work for us. :(

That fact alone has us checking out some other lines. Shame.

Thanks for the heads up, Jackie. By coincidence, I spoke to Regent this morning and they put me on a list to contact me when around 25 Jan when Regent was supposed to release this schedule. I naively thought that Regent folks would have known. The Honolulu to Papeete itinerary is tempting.

Z and TB

Thanks for the heads up, Jackie. By coincidence, I spoke to Regent this morning and they put me on a list to contact me when around 25 Jan when Regent was supposed to release this schedule. I naively thought that Regent folks would have known. The Honolulu to Papeete itinerary is tempting.

Z and TB

I did notice that itinerary. Will have to look at it again as it would be so great to cruise with you and TB again!

To posters questioning the lack of Cuba itineraries, I think that Regent may be waiting to learn what other ports would work for Regent. This takes time for obvious reasons. If they are able to include Havana and/or additional ports, I think they would simply add them to an existing Caribbean itinerary as they did for 2017.

drib, i hope you take air out before calculating per diems; it could have a major impact.

Marc

Assume Marq you are talking about removing the air credit? Possible issues with that are that the credit is a moving target that seems to change as one gets closer to embarkation as well is different for different cruises.

drib, i hope you take air out before calculating per diems; it could have a major impact.

Marc

Marc, it only has a major impact for folks who have miles and other air options. For most of the trips I've looked into, Regent air is still a comparable, or better, value than taking the air credit and booking BC air separately. Even more so when you figure in transfers. True, you give up some flexibility unless you deviate (which can also skew the cost difference) but we've found it advantageous in the past to just do it all together.

Different story altogether for frequent fliers, of course.

Marc, it only has a major impact for folks who have miles and other air options. For most of the trips I've looked into, Regent air is still a comparable, or better, value than taking the air credit and booking BC air separately. Even more so when you figure in transfers. True, you give up some flexibility unless you deviate (which can also skew the cost difference) but we've found it advantageous in the past to just do it all together.

Different story altogether for frequent fliers, of course.

Bill, the reason to remove the air "credit" is that a $6,000 credit on a 12 day cruise subtracts $500 per diem whilst a $6,000 credit on a 24 day cruise subtracts only $250 per diem. Thus, the shorter cruises are displaying a higher per diem if you don't subtract the air credit.

Marc

UUNetBill, when I said above there were 86 itineraries 14 days or less, that included a placeholder on Mariner which is probably a charter. Still, 85 out of 113 is 75% that are 14 days and under! It only seems like they are all too long because the long ones are the ones you really want to book! (That's what she said.) And also note, on Voyager, there were zero new itineraries over 14 days.

Drib, those are interesting stats, thanks for compiling and posting them.

Of course you're correct that the majority of voyages are 14 days or less. My concern is that the ones that I want to go on our all over 14 days! I guess that's what you call first world problems. :)

Bill, the reason to remove the air "credit" is that a $6,000 credit on a 12 day cruise subtracts $500 per diem whilst a $6,000 credit on a 24 day cruise subtracts only $250 per diem. Thus, the shorter cruises are displaying a higher per diem if you don't subtract the air credit.

Marc

Marc, that's true...but the air travel is still a cost that we need to bear one way or another. A cruise on another line that posts cruise-only fares with a $300 per diem isn't any less expensive after you factor in air.

Of course, air can vary widely depending on one's starting point. In order to do a fair 'apples-to-apples' comparison of cruise costs you'd absolutely need to break it down to cruise-only fares and then figure air separately. What Drib posted is a good way of comparing relative costs for Regent sailings. With the airfares being so fluid for everyone, I think that's the best way to get a snapshot of Regents relative pricing.

Now if you'd like to do the analysis of all the fares without the air included so we could compare, that would be interesting as well...

And along those lines, I'd be interested in knowing what percentages of passengers use the included air or take the air credit. Seems to me that more frequent cruisers would take the credit since theoretically they'd have more traveling under their belts...unless they always use Regent air.

Would be fun to know...

And along those lines, I'd be interested in knowing what percentages of passengers use the included air or take the air credit. Seems to me that more frequent cruisers would take the credit since theoretically they'd have more traveling under their belts...unless they always use Regent air.

Would be fun to know...

I'd be interested in that percentage as well. My DH had tons of frequent flyer miles as he traveled for work. We didn't want to waste our miles on flights that were "included" so that we could use our miles for First Class air to places that have the highest fares. Now our miles are used up and we continue to use Regent Air - not because we have to but because we like the airlines they use, can deviate and pick our flights and get transportation.

Had a cruises we were hoping for and did not happen.

October 2018 Montreal to Miami on the Mariner and they moved it to Navigator so NO deal for us.

JimB we did this very cruise in 2014 on Navigator and it was our best ever cruise. We had taken a very similar cruise in 2004 on Celebrity Constellation and it was such a great itinerary we had to repeat it.

2014 was our second time on Navigator. We had no issues whatsoever with vibration as we were well forward. We didn't miss the observation lounge for this particular itinerary.

It was by far our most friendly cruise and quite possibly due to the fact the Navigator being more compact. I know it's not a ship that suits everyone but the itinerary certainly was the icing on the cake for us. Jean.

Had a cruises we were hoping for and did not happen.

October 2018 Montreal to Miami on the Mariner and they moved it to Navigator so NO deal for us.

We are part of the group that does not want to sail on the Navigator due to past experiences. For whatever reason(s), some of the best new itineraries are on that ship. While I'm willing to give it another try, my DH is against it. Maybe someday (or not).

We are part of the group that does not want to sail on the Navigator due to past experiences. For whatever reason(s), some of the best new itineraries are on that ship. While I'm willing to give it another try, my DH is against it. Maybe someday (or not).

We've sailed on 3 of the 4 current Regent ships with two booked on Explorer this year, and we're in the minority, I guess, because we love the Navigator. Maybe because we did our first Regent cruise on her, I don't know. But we wouldn't skip an itinerary because it's on Navigator. I might change my opinion a bit after Explorer, but she's definitely on our option list, especially after her refurb. Of course, we do a lot of port-intensive cruises, too, and that helps. Don't know if I'd enjoy a crossing or WC as much on the Nav, but I'd sure take one over being stuck in the office!

We've sailed on 3 of the 4 current Regent ships with two booked on Explorer this year, and we're in the minority, I guess, because we love the Navigator. Maybe because we did our first Regent cruise on her, I don't know. But we wouldn't skip an itinerary because it's on Navigator. I might change my opinion a bit after Explorer, but she's definitely on our option list, especially after her refurb. Of course, we do a lot of port-intensive cruises, too, and that helps. Don't know if I'd enjoy a crossing or WC as much on the Nav, but I'd sure take one over being stuck in the office!

There is something about our first ship that seems to stay with us. Ours was the Voyager (if you don't count the Paul Gauguin which is no longer part of Regent). We were really surprised when the Explorer took over the 1st place spot.

In terms of the Navigator, long time Regent cruisers went through a lot with that ship - especially if you go back to when Regent/Radisson was privately owned. The last and current owners have put more money into the Navigator than into the Mariner or Voyager. I'm hoping to be in port with the Navigator sometime in the future so I can walk through and see what she looks like now. Still, nothing will change the fact that almost all of their suites are the same size (until you get to the Navigator Suite level) and the ship likes to rock and roll when in high seas (I enjoy rock and roll music but not rolling around on the ocean;) ) Some of her 2018/2019 itineraries will take her into what is typically rough waters -- it should be interesting to read reports from those cruises.

Tonight is the night that my DH and I will really go over the new itineraries in preparation for booking on the 25th. We seem to figure it out easier when we share a bottle of wine (or two).

So if we see a Regent ship docked in our local port can we go aboard and take a look around too, even if we're not on the official manifest? Or is special permission required and only granted to the chosen few?

Anyone can request to visit a Regent ship but it requires around 30 days notice - filling out a form, etc. We visited the Mariner when it was in port in Vancouver last summer and had to follow this policy (we were visiting someone booked on the ship - we were not).

Apparently, according to a post this past week, the Navigator and Explorer were docked next to each other and passengers were free to go back and forth. While I've never heard of this before, IMO, once you are cleared to be on one ship, there should be no reason that, with your passport and keycard, you should not be able to visit another Regent ship.

TC I'm not sure it was as easy as going back and forth between Explorer and Navigator. We were advised that we needed to put our names on a list to visit N but we were already booked on a tour so decided against. The list soon filled, I understand and I think there were a few disappointed people who didn't make it. I got the impression (but could be wrong) that the visit was as a group. As both ships were tendering passengers ashore, it wasn't as easy as just stepping on board.

I did notice that itinerary. Will have to look at it again as it would be so great to cruise with you and TB again!

To posters questioning the lack of Cuba itineraries, I think that Regent may be waiting to learn what other ports would work for Regent. This takes time for obvious reasons. If they are able to include Havana and/or additional ports, I think they would simply add them to an existing Caribbean itinerary as they did for 2017.

Actually they did not simply add Cuba to the itinerary, they removed ports that we had planned on. If they simply added Cuba and removed a sea day, that would be different.