Reactions to 2018/19 Itineraries

Travelcat2

Not as easy as it sounds. The Regent procedure is straight forward and on-board Regent security personnel were helpful to us. BUT, a lot depends upon the port security (maybe much easier ship- to-ship). In San Diego, U.S. Customs was decidedly unhelpful until Regent security stepped in to assist.

We were in Tahiti on the Mariner and were able to go over to the Paul Gauguin

when it was still part of Regent.

Since we had also been on the PG before we played tourist guides to two other couples

which was fun.

Actually they did not simply add Cuba to the itinerary, they removed ports that we had planned on. If they simply added Cuba and removed a sea day, that would be different.

....which, in the opinion of many, turned a rather blah cruise into an exciting one. I'm a bit confused because you have made positive posts about visiting Cuba and then make less than positive posts.

....which, in the opinion of many, turned a rather blah cruise into an exciting one. I'm a bit confused because you have made positive posts about visiting Cuba and then make less than positive posts.

We purchased a cruise that we did not find blah. We were then stuck with Cuba. I don't believe I made any posts that would lead one to think that Cuba had been part of our game plan.

TC I'm not sure it was as easy as going back and forth between Explorer and Navigator. We were advised that we needed to put our names on a list to visit N but we were already booked on a tour so decided against. The list soon filled, I understand and I think there were a few disappointed people who didn't make it. I got the impression (but could be wrong) that the visit was as a group. As both ships were tendering passengers ashore, it wasn't as easy as just stepping on board.

Thank you for letting us know how that worked. I had not heard about a list to visit other ships but think that it is a good idea. When we were docked next to the Voyager (right after it was refurbished), there was no visits between the Voyager and Explorer (except by officers, maybe the crew and definitely by executives from Miami that were onboard the Voyager).

Is anyone as surprised as we are about the very high fares on the 2018/19 cruises? I'm glad that I like the concierge suites on the Explorer as the suites we normally would stay in (PH) are not to our liking and the Seven Seas Suite for the cruise we'll be booking on Wednesday would be $50K - quite a bit higher than we are willing to spend for a one cruise. As it is, we're going from three to two cruises per year for 2017 and 2018.

Is anyone as surprised as we are about the very high fares on the 2018/19 cruises? I'm glad that I like the concierge suites on the Explorer as the suites we normally would stay in (PH) are not to our liking and the Seven Seas Suite for the cruise we'll be booking on Wednesday would be $50K - quite a bit higher than we are willing to spend for a one cruise. As it is, we're going from three to two cruises per year for 2017 and 2018.

I think they raised the prices in order to get folks to jump on remaining 2017 and early 2018 cruises that aren't selling well. I think it may work. Then, we will have to wait and see if they lower these new cruises, later.

Marc

It's been a while since we sailed on Regent but we have wanted to try the new Explorer ship and we like the itinerary "Cape Town to Cape Town" in December, 2018 which will be a holiday cruise, which we have never done. A free pre-cruise safari is being offered which is on my bucket list so this seems like the perfect choice. We are going to book it on Wednesday. 2018 will be our 40th wedding anniversary year and we are checking things off the Bucket List. In the early part of 2018 we will be going to Machu Picchu (private land tour) followed by a cruise on the new Silversea Muse which goes from Lima to Ft. Lauderdale. This cruise also goes through the Panama Canal, another thing to check off the Bucket List.

It's been a while since we sailed on Regent but we have wanted to try the new Explorer ship and we like the itinerary "Cape Town to Cape Town" in December, 2018 which will be a holiday cruise, which we have never done. A free pre-cruise safari is being offered which is on my bucket list so this seems like the perfect choice. We are going to book it on Wednesday. 2018 will be our 40th wedding anniversary year and we are checking things off the Bucket List. In the early part of 2018 we will be going to Machu Picchu (private land tour) followed by a cruise on the new Silversea Muse which goes from Lima to Ft. Lauderdale. This cruise also goes through the Panama Canal, another thing to check off the Bucket List.

I predict that you will not only love the Explorer as well as the safari. We did this cruise in December, 2015 (on the Mariner) and loved it! You will also be able to compare Silversea's Muse (which looks beautiful) to Regent's Explorer.

Congratulations on your upcoming 40th wedding anniversary. Our 40th will be in 2019 - too far in advance to book anything but we would want it to be as special as yours.

Edited by Travelcat2

I found a couple I liked, but the new prices are too rich for me.

Keep in mind that the new prices almost all include Business Class air - if that's an option you chose in the past, it's now included. If you didn't, the air credit has been increased to help offset it. I did a double-take when I started seeing new itineraries, but after looking at the inclusions, they didn't climb too much at all (at least, I don't think they did - I didn't do a full comparison).

Keep in mind that the new prices almost all include Business Class air - if that's an option you chose in the past, it's now included. If you didn't, the air credit has been increased to help offset it. I did a double-take when I started seeing new itineraries, but after looking at the inclusions, they didn't climb too much at all (at least, I don't think they did - I didn't do a full comparison).

Another good reason to deduct air credit when trying to do apples to apples comparisons.

Marc

I predict that you will not only love the Explorer as well as the safari. We did this cruise in December, 2015 (on the Mariner) and loved it! You will also be able to compare Silversea's Muse (which looks beautiful) to Regent's Explorer.

Congratulations on your upcoming 40th wedding anniversary. Our 40th will be in 2019 - too far in advance to book anything but we would want it to be as special as yours.

Jackie, I think your prediction may be correct...that we will love the Explorer and the safari. It's a long way off but something to look forward to. :)

Just checked out the Winter 2019 cruises in the hopes of being able to book the Lima to Buenos Aires itinerary, and discovered that Regent no longer does that one. The closest thing now is BA to Valparaiso, which is only 16 days instead of the previous 24 days (for about the same cost!). If you want to go visit Lima, you have to add on the 20 day Valparaiso to Los Angeles leg. And with only one day in Lima, it is impossible to see Machu Picchu (there used to be a pre-cruise add-on to Machu Picchu from Lima).

We were booked on the Lima to BA itinerary for next year, but with Mike's job, he just cannot get away at that time. It is such a shame, because we love Regent...but based on these new itineraries and prices (even taking out the air option), it looks like we may be done with them for a very long time if not forever.

Another good reason to deduct air credit when trying to do apples to apples comparisons.

Marc

A valid point, but a much higher level of effort...

Me, I just look at the fare and see if I can afford it, or want to afford it. Otherwise I'll explore other options.

I also don't think the script (ingenious...I was pretty sure this wasn't being done manually!) will work until they populate (or make accessible) the "Plan Your Cruise" link for the new cruises since that's what allows you to find both the Seven Seas Society discount and the air credit by setting the appropriate options. I'm assuming that information will be available on the 25th when they open the new cruises to booking.

Edited by Portolan

Which ones aren't selling that well?

I consider any cruise that has availability in Cat through Cat G within a year as having lots of availability. There are a lot on Voyager (which is what i am paying attention to) and I think even on some Explorer sailings.

Also, any cruise with a "single supplement special" is also one that is not selling well.

Mar

Edited by Marq

I am getting ready to book a cruise on Mariner for March 2019 (Shanghai to Tokyo). Regent finally has an itinerary that ticks off all of the ports and the timing is excellent.

We typically cruise Oceania and are very happy with them but this itinerary is not available for our cruising times.

My question is relating to PH suites. The Regent rep I spoke to suggested the A on deck 11 because it is above the pool. This is a forward and the Observation Lounge is above it. I would anticipate that would be noisy. I have gone thru the deck plans and what seems best to me are the PH B on Deck 9 or the PH C on Deck 8. We would want the suites to have the shower with glass enclosure and not near the laundry. I am thinking 922 or 924 would be best? Port side due to itinerary.

The rep also said that Mariner will be redone right before our cruise and the new restaurants would also be included in the refurb.

Any help prior to me getting back to him to hold suite would be appreciated.

I will then transfer to my own TA once all details are in order.

Thank you.

I am getting ready to book a cruise on Mariner for March 2019 (Shanghai to Tokyo). Regent finally has an itinerary that ticks off all of the ports and the timing is excellent.

We typically cruise Oceania and are very happy with them but this itinerary is not available for our cruising times.

My question is relating to PH suites. The Regent rep I spoke to suggested the A on deck 11 because it is above the pool. This is a forward and the Observation Lounge is above it. I would anticipate that would be noisy. I have gone thru the deck plans and what seems best to me are the PH B on Deck 9 or the PH C on Deck 8. We would want the suites to have the shower with glass enclosure and not near the laundry. I am thinking 922 or 924 would be best? Port side due to itinerary.

The rep also said that Mariner will be redone right before our cruise and the new restaurants would also be included in the refurb.

Thank you.

Very surprised to see you on the Regent board. I expect that the posters will treat you respectfully! Firstly, the Mariner will have the new restaurants this year - long before it is refurbished.

The PH suites are the largest of Regent's older ships (the Explorer has larger PH suites).

In terms of location, that is really up to you.

You mentioned a Regent agent which, in the opinion of many, is the wrong place to book a Regent cruise. You would be missing out on rebates, OBC's, etc. If you book this cruise (and it can only be on hold for 3 or so days), you would be better served by a TA that regularly books Regent and is knowledgeable in everything Regent!

Marc - it seems that "G" and "H" suites are not selling well on the Explorer - another opportunity to sail on the "most luxurious ship ever built" albeit in a small suite. I agree with you that booking the lower category suites on the Voyager or Navigator is a great deal. In terms of the Mariner, I disagree somewhat because the size of the lower category suites are too small (at least for us).

Edited by Travelcat2

Very surprised to see you on the Regent board. I expect that the posters will treat you respectfully! Firstly, the Mariner will have the new restaurants this year - long before it is refurbished.

The PH suites are the largest of Regent's older ships (the Explorer has larger PH suites).

In terms of location, that is really up to you.

You mentioned a Regent agent which, in the opinion of many, is the wrong place to book a Regent cruise. You would be missing out on rebates, OBC's, etc. If you book this cruise (and it can only be on hold for 3 or so days), you would be better served by a TA that regularly books Regent and is knowledgeable in everything Regent!

Thank you Drib. Very Helpful.

TC2..what is with the !! If you had taken the time to read my post, I said I would transfer it to my TA after getting all of my info. Very qualified, but she happened to be off today. I usually do most of the legwork prior because I am specific about what we like and after many cruises know where our cabin placement should be. Due diligence. Hence, a few questions and my understanding is that the bookings will be open on Weds.

You should not be surprised that I am going to book this cruise because I have stated many times, when the timing and itinerary is right for us we would consider. I had booked Navigator prior, but after reading these helpful boards, we realized that ship had a bit too much risk with brown water etc.

Thank you again Drib. I have seen your posts on other boards and I will consider deck 8 :) The itinerary is quite lovely.

Thank you.

Hope I'm not too late. If you're concerned about noise, I suggest avoiding the Deck 8 PHC's. There is a noisy air conditioning room across from 836 which we could hear clearly from 834. Other suites in that area also got occasional early morning noise when the crew was performing maintenance on the tenders.

On the port side, my personal favorite PH suite is 914, a PHC. It's in a quiet area with less foot traffic than other areas. It's not too far forward so motion has not been a problem. It only has an adjacent balcony on one side since it is next to the Mariner Suite whose balcony is midsuite.

If you feel the need to be more midship, then 922 or 924 should work. That area seemed quieter than the same area on Deck 8.

Portofinality,

Like DaveFr we have been in 912 and 914. Last year we had our best location ever and it was 1103 with the observation lounge above. Never head a cheep from the lounge whatsoever. There is no footfall noise apart from your neighbors. Yes it is a bit more noticeable in rough seas and wind, but it didn't really bother us at all. The Mariner penthouse suites with shower only so get snapped up quickly so if you really want a specific cabin I would not wait too long. Jean.

Thank you DaveFR and Lipstatic.

You both have been very helpful. After thinking about this a bit more, I think we may splurge on the SS aft. I love being at the back of the ship and the extra bath is always wonderful. We had the OS aft suite for our month long cruise on Oceania this past November for S. America and loved it.

If not, I have wonderful alternatives due to your feedback.

Greatly appreciated.