Royal Cancelled My Fully Paid Cruise Reservation

Yes, I unfortunately had this happen to me in 2014 for my Oasis sailing. I authorized my TA to make the final payment using my credit card 3 weeks in advance of the final payment deadline. I'm not sure whose fault it ultimately was. RCI claimed it was their reservation system, and we all know how unreliable their systems are...but I also can't help but wonder if the TA simply forgot to submit my final payment and RCI was letting the TA save face. I didn't know what to expect when working with this TA (first, and last time) so I didn't know when my credit card was going to be charged.

It took a few weeks to get sorted out between the TA, RCI's Group Bookings department, and RCI's Resolutions department. I was given a stateroom upgrade (inside to oceanview) and OBC as compensation. Not everything could be recovered as-was in terms of entertainment bookings and such (I had to re-book and re-purchase add-ons myself), but it all worked out in the end with my family being able to secure alternate bookings and otherwise being compensated for costs that had since risen, etc. Things were so broken that they couldn't even recover the original reservation and I received a new booking ID. This ordeal required me to be a much more active and vocal advocate than I thought I should have had to be (it was taking so long that I perceived the need to keep the pressure on).

It worked out in the end and we had a great vacation, though. Good luck with your situation and I hope you get compensated appropriately.

Thanks - in my case I know my credit card was charged in full and final payment was made in December, so I have no idea how Royal concluded they should cancel my reservation (but not my kids cabin) - how does this even happen?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This happened to us back in November 2015. My travel agent was very limited in what the 'travel agent' channel could do. I personally contacted Vicki Freed, VP of Sales and Marketing.....and someone from her department contacted me.....it took them days to resolve it.

Vicki Freed's email address is:vfreed@rccl.com.

I would send an email NOW to Vicki Freed and copy your travel agent. Put every detail you have including RESERVATION number, complete names, cabin number, including the fact that you have another cabin booked for your kids that was NOT cancelled. The fear you have is REAL about the reassignment of your cabin to another booking (because as you say, they take reservations all the time).

Send the email NOW. Alert them to the fact that your fear is that someone will book the cabin you HAD ON YOUR RESERVATION. They can take the cabin out of inventory, while they fix the rest.

All the other items like reservations, they will be able to fix as well.

Good luck.

I have most of my cruises with Royal Caribbean, and as such I am D+. However, since my April 2016 cruise I have booked four more cruises with other lines. Royal Caribbean used to be known for it superior customer service. This is no longer the case. Many issues much less troubling than this have occurred. However, repeat issues such as this are totally unacceptable. I may cruise with Royal Caribbean again, but it will be a while until I do. Currently I am seeing what other cruise lines have to offer, and will re-evaluate my options after I have a chance to see what the other cruise lines are offering.

I just booked a cruise for March on the Regal Princess through *************. I happened to check my credit card on line and noticed that they charged me for two balcony cabins. When checking the Princess website, they had me with two reservations with both me and my husband in both rooms. I called the travel agency and they blamed it in a computer glitch. I did get reimbursed.

Do you and your husband have duel personalities? Maybe they through each personality would like a different cabin.

The fact is, Royal Caribbean seems to be having more "glitches" than their competitors. Perhaps it is time for a new CIO.

Thanks - your experience gives me hope that Royal will fix this.

I sure would expect that they can. However, I would also expect that they would have a system that would not have such issues in the first place.

Wow - I thought that the original posting that said that Sip N Stream was going to be cancelled was a little bit much - but it turns out it might be far worse than even that original caller predicted!!

I hope you can get this sorted out - maybe alerting them that this is tied to the sip n stream cancel will help them undo it! Keep us posted!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

OMG! That's EXACTLY what I did! That must have been the cause of the cancellation!

No, an excusable computer problem cancelled your reservation. People are allowed to change the extras they booked with their fully paid cruise without cancelling their reservation.

It happened to me in 2014 with my Australia cruise. Had a balcony for us 3, fully paid for. Had already booked airfare from the US, paid for excursions, etc.. Noticed there was a drastic price drop before our true final payment date. They adjusted the cost which was more than $2K! However once they did that my mom noticed a lot of refunds to her credit card in the amounts of our shore excursions, room costs, etc...

Called to find out what was going on and they told me at RC that I had cancelled the cruise!!! WTH, NO I did not cancel and the time stamp they had was during a time I was at work, so no way I could have done it. Turns out when they refunded the the price drop, the "computer" started refunding everything! It was too on a weekend and so all they could do was book the only room that was left, since they gave ours away.

Well that only room that was left was the Royal Family Suite . They gave us the room at no extra charge, paid the increase in gratuities, $300 spa credit (to help us destress, LOL), and $300 in onboard credit.

So RC did take care of us. I did have to ask for more than the room upgrade as it was very stressful and we had a lot of money invested into going.Some thought I was greedy, but I asked and they said yes!

p.s. One bad part about the upgrade however, now I can't seem to just stay in a normal balcony room, I must have that Royal Family Suite!!! LOL

I cancelled my deluxe package and purchased the Sip & Stream as well. So far my cruise in still in my Cruise Planner. Hopefully it stays that way. I have a sinking suspicion there will be a whole lot of meetings next week at RCL about this whole debacle.

OMG! That's EXACTLY what I did! That must have been the cause of the cancellation!

Wow. Now I am glad it would not let me book the Sip and Sail at all! I do still really like RCCL and understand problems so am confident they will take care of you and it will turn out better than it ever was!

Yes, I am an optimist...but I am also a very happy person and like it that way.

I had this exact thing happen to us. Also late Saturday night received an email stating my reservation was canceled and all my excursions,drink packages and Internet has been canceled. Again, my children's room was not canceled. Only 1 of our rooms. When I called Royal this morning they would not help me, told me I had to talk to my travel agent. Which they are not open until Monday. Very stressful to say the least as we are to sail in 2 weeks. And now I don't know if we will be going!! :mad::loudcry:

Your situation is terrible and doesn't seem isolated.

I booked the beverage and internet packages separately a month back when it was on sale. I also booked the joint promotion your referring to, but never cancelled my original packages since I had over a month to the cruise to cancel. I wonder how I should handle cancelling? Any ideas?

Judging by the number of people who bought this package it looks like there will be a lot of people in this situation.

The issue is probably more difficult to fix for those inside final payment window.

Biker, who wonders if any IT guy got the boot over this.

I called and had the lady in customer service cancel my original drink and voom package and add the promotional on the 22nd. I got my confirmations that both were cancelled and that the new promo was billed. They are all still showing on my reservation as open and after hearing all of this pandemonium I am going to wait until the end of the week to call about it. The last thing I want them to do is accidentally cancel our cruise when we have less than a month to go....and it is now sold out!

Can we cancel the original drink and voom package when we board?

When I called Royal this morning they would not help me, told me I had to talk to my travel agent. Which they are not open until Monday.

This right here is why I am happy I now have a TA I can call at anytime day or night. Wife of a guy I work with so I have no issues with getting hold of her, even though I would never call her middle of the night. But weekends are for sure fair game. . First time using a TA for me but so far I'm pleased.

Hope all works out for you. Good luck.

Happened to me as well...thank God I was on their site trying to navigate to see what was there. While navigating I discovered my cruise was not loaded on their site. I waited till this morning to see if this was an isolated issue...when I called the RCCL agent he said the trip was cancelled...

I'm in the process of trying to get it restored...wish me luck.

SR

The anticipation of an upcoming cruise is all part of the fun of going on one and the overall experience. This stress that RCI is imposing on people is inexcusable and detracts from that anticipation window. I still say that they should just outsource their IT department to Amazon. They sell almost anything that has ever been invented and can get it to just about any address that exists. RCI can't cancel a drink package without screwing it up.

Thankfully, the product they provide and their ships are a different story.

I have most of my cruises with Royal Caribbean, and as such I am D+. However, since my April 2016 cruise I have booked four more cruises with other lines. Royal Caribbean used to be known for it superior customer service. This is no longer the case. Many issues much less troubling than this have occurred. However, repeat issues such as this are totally unacceptable. I may cruise with Royal Caribbean again, but it will be a while until I do. Currently I am seeing what other cruise lines have to offer, and will re-evaluate my options after I have a chance to see what the other cruise lines are offering.

I know your in BC, but its afternoon here, what happened? ;)