HAL vs Disney Cruise Line

djhsolara

So obviously we LOVE HAL. It is our favorite cruise line. That, however, does not mean that we cruise HAL exclusively. We've tried several other cruise lines and have enjoyed them...but always come home to HAL (can't wait to be on Koningsdam in January!!).

We just booked a Disney cruise on the Disney Dream. We are huge Disney people, so we've always wanted to try DCL but have always worried that there would be too many children for our liking. This sailing came about just at the right time...3 nights smack in the middle of an already-planned trip to Orlando, so it's like it was meant to be.

Now that I've gone on forever, the point of my post is to see how HAL cruisers who have also cruised in DCL compare the cruise lines. I'm always interested in getting others points of view prior to sailing to see what they think.

Thanks!!

We've sailed Disney twice, once with and once without kids. We never felt overwhelmed with kids and there are plenty of kid-free zones in which to hide. You will see a lot of kids at dinner but I always found them to be well behaved and occupied. If you want a very elegant dinner, try Remy. It is classical French cuisine with true French service, pricey but it was probably one of the best dining experiences I ever had. If you ever dined at Victoria and Alberts, it is even better. Another option is Palo which is also very good and Italian themed. They also serve brunch which is nice. Those should be booked ahead or as soon as boarding. You will find a number of adults cruising with our kids and they will seat you together or at tables for 2. We did a 4 night and absolutely loved it. The entertainment is wonderful with true Disney quality. At night, there is a very adult area with entertainment. I am sure you will have a great time.

Since this is only 3 nights, we want to experience each of the main dining rooms...so no specialty dining this time.

Has anyone experienced the Rainforest? How does it compare to the thermal suite on HAL?

We sailed on Disney once and IMO they have a nice, class act.

there is tons of stuff for "kids" so you are not overwhelmed at all.

We still prefer HAL for our own reasons,but Disney is a great line and when we were on last did things well.

I think they do things better than say, Princess or Celebrity but that's JMO.

Ive been on both lines several times so I can give some comparisons.

Fit & finish....DCL wins hands down. Walking down corridors on Disney just makes me smile. One thing I don't care for on HAL are the corridors...they look cheap and old.

Rooms.....a toss up. I'd say DCL keeps them a little more up to date with furnishings. I'm not a fan of the split/double bathroom though. I think I'm the only one. Both have comfortable beds. A full size tub on HAL vs a small one on Disney

Staff....equal. Both great and gracious.

Guests......a more diverse and younger mix on Disney. Of course families. But more diverse even discounting the kids. More pool chair hogs on DCL. DO not be worried about be run over by kids though. They actually keep the adult only areas as adult only. Kids simply will not be allowed.

Food....good on both. More location variety on Disney but good on both. You'll have less kids if you take the late D seating. Love the variety of places on Disney to have a drink. They are less crowded before dinner on D. I don't typically go to shows but the comparison between the ones I have done to goes to Disney. Disney hands down has more fun outside of the evening show. They have things all the time, like trivia, game shows, contests that are in various lounges. If you don't want a big show there will still be plenty to keep you entertained. That said my & husband and I go back to HAL because it's so quiet. With less of the fun for me to drag him to he gets to sit on the verandah and chill.

We were on the Dream for three nights in Nov'13 (not Thanksgiving time). Beautiful ship, but waaaaaay too many people for our liking, both kids and adults. Of course all of the entertainment is kid oriented. We would not go again unless we were taking kids.

Since this is only 3 nights, we want to experience each of the main dining rooms...so no specialty dining this time.

You will rotate through all 3, and your waiters go with you. We liked that.

We've only been on Fantasy, most recently this past May. I think it is very similar to the Dream.

Disney Fantasy is drop dead gorgeous and in the most pristine condition. There is immaculate cleanliness with large cleaning crews in public areas. The balcony cabins are wonderful, larger with nicer appointments and split bathrooms. Many cabins can be connected through an interior door or the balcony.

Disney entertainment is top notch, there were four production shows counting the opening night of the cruise. They have an abbreviated version of the Broadway production of Alladin. Special effects have to be seen to believe this is all happening on a cruise ship. Theatres open thirty minutes prior to show time so be in line for a good seat.

The movie catalog is astounding, all available on demand. Two high tech theatres show current movies and soon to be released films. Movies are shown almost around the clock.

Disney does a fantastic job showcasing their characters and princesses. Any given day there are at least 20 posted times to meet and greet.

Pirate night, character breakfasts are very well done.

Midship detective agency is fun for kids of all ages.

Fantasy has a 9 hole mini golf and lots of game areas for kids.

Disney has wonderful children's facilities, we spent hours on in the Toy Story room with our very young ones. We did not leave them in the care of Disney employees.

The dinners are themed most night including a special animation night during dinner.

The Disney private island is top notch with an actual dock. The island BBQ is the best I've ever had.

The Disney promenade deck was our little piece of heaven with very comfortable padded loungers and not many people. It was quiet.

Food on Holland America is bland for the many older passengers.

Food on Disney is bland for the many kids on board.

Similar dinner menus on both lines.

Disney served a higher quality of meat.

Dining room servers have too many tables on both lines.

Disney Cabanas provides a more extensive selection at lunch. They always have two meats at the carving station and they serve a higher quality of meat. Disney has peel and eat shrimp and crab legs daily at lunch.

I did not like serving myself in Cabanas. Breakfast and lunch are self service, then they offer sit down dinner service each evening.m

There is free self serve fountain drinks and ice cream 24/7 on the pool deck. The fountain drinks had a bad aftertaste.

Palo is excellent for food and service. Have not been to Remy.

I disliked the noise level on Fantasy especially the pool deck. They blast movies and music at a ridiculously high decibel level on the pool deck. We went to one bingo event and the noise level was off the charts, the PA volume level was grating. There is lots of piped in canned music which we didn't care for. Lots of announcements.

There are too many people on Disney for the passenger space ratio. Many cabins have 3, 4 or 5 passengers. Dining rooms are crowded with too many tables and chairs. The main pool deck area is overcrowded, shoulder to shoulder kids in the pools.

There are adult only areas around the ship, the one on the pool deck was lovely but the chaise loungers were not comfortable.

We like DCL but part of the charm is treating the extended family to a vacation. Entertainment is the featured attraction. There is lots to like but it is not my preferred cruise line. I'm sure we will go again.

I am a long time HAL frequent floater. I did the 3 night cruise on Disney Dream several years ago.

I thought the ship was nice. The staff were very friendly and outgoing. I thought it was nice that they didn't push to buy the ship photos at the character appearances but offered to take photos with your own camera.

I did do Palo for dinner the evening of the Pirate party. The one thing that really blew me away , was upon returning to my cabin later that evening , there was a card from the restaurant in the mail slot.

I thought it was just a dining confirmation that arrived late but when I opened it there was a handwritten note from the waiter thanking me for dining there.

Wouldn't it be great if HAL did the same thing in the PG.

Don't miss the fireworks and Pirate party.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

HAL and Disney are more similar than they are different. Other posters have hit the high points pretty well. I do think Disney provides a bit better, more upscale experience overall but then again the pricing reflects that.

If you tend to stay concierge level at your Disney resort, you can do the same onboard. Private lounge with comp alcohol and snacks, priority boarding, reservations and early access to the adult cabanas on Castaway Cay. Almost forgot, private sun deck!

Edited by HUNKY

DW and I cruised with the family a few years ago on the Disney Magic. It truly was magic! Disney has the reputation of doing things well, and this cruise did not disappoint. The ship was magnificent, food was great quality, and entertainment superb.

I must agree with the others who have said they did not feel overwhelmed with kids. There were a lot on our cruise, but they were doing their own thing in their own areas ... so we rarely noticed them (except at the pool.)

I think you'll love the Disney cruise experience. It's a totally different bag from Holland America; but a wonderful product for what it offers.

A couple more things.

Download the DCL app for texting and to view the daily schedule.

You must obtain a port arrival time, available on the date you can book excursions. Select the earliest available time so you can get on board

The front desk will print at no charge airline boarding passes and check you in.

DCL gives each cabin some free Internet, they provide a certain number of MB's. You must establish an account on day 1 to get the freebie. Some say it is sufficient to quickly check emails during the cruise but it goes quickly if you do anything with photos. Their Internet packages were very reasonably priced.

Here are a few things that we like already:

1 - Two days after booking our guarantee room, we got our assignment. Maybe the ship is sold out already...who knows...but that's never happened to us on HAL or any other line where we've booked a guarantee.

2 - DCL has quite a liberal alcohol policy. Two unopened bottles of wine or champagne per person over 21 at boarding and at each port of call. Wow!!

2 - DCL has quite a liberal alcohol policy. Two unopened bottles of wine or champagne per person over 21 at boarding and at each port of call. Wow!!

Not any more. 1 bottle of wine, or 1 six pack of beer at embarkation only. We have relatives who were big Disney Cruise Line fans prior to the policy change.

One is for kids and one is not

Not true. There is more on DCL for kids but there is more for just adults where children are not allowed as well. I tip my hat to Disney for being a little bit nicer than HAL.

On HAL you can take your kids to specialty dining. It is absolutely not allowed on Disney. Lounges in the evenings as well. Zero children permitted. I have never much seen a kid on HAL but I know in the summer I will see more than Februarys.

Not any more. 1 bottle of wine, or 1 six pack of beer at embarkation only. We have relatives who were big Disney Cruise Line fans prior to the policy change.

Just got the welcome packet yesterday that states what I said...and I've looked it up online.

From their website:

Disney Cruise Line Guests 21 years and older may bring a maximum of 2 bottles of unopened wine or champagne (no larger than 750 ml) or 6 beers (no larger than 12 ounces) on board at the beginning of the voyage and at each port of call. These beverages must be packed in carry-on (not checked) bags or luggage.

Edited by djhsolara

Such good reports on DCL. I agree with everything. Don't miss the fireworks on Pirate Night. Grab a seat or lounger up on the adult deck and have a drink. During the show or right after look around at the sea and you'll see several

ships stopped watching the fireworks too. It is a totally different feeling on a DCL. And we never felt overwhelmed with kids. Sure kids were around but the little girls were so adorable in their princess dresses and what a happy feeling to see a little boy see Mickey for the first time. Nobody does it better than Disney!

Disney does it right.

Castaway Cay has many different areas including an adults only area. There is an "abandoned airport".

The ship also has adult only areas.

You should have a good time....Disney is not just for little kids...it's for kids of all ages.

Disney does not have gambling.

Looking forward to being on board the Magic with our family in November. On the 4th of December we disembark and board the Koningsdam on the same day - two different experiences, both will be fabulous!

Everyone has filled you in on the positives. Here is the other side. I did do an extensive photo review if you search. I think I called it HAL vs Disney in January 2014.

We took a 4 night Disney Magic cruise following a 7 day HAL cruise. Our family of 4 preferred the HAL voyage overall. Mainly because of the noise, the crowding, and the lack of space to just sit quietly and enjoy the view. Also there is zero structure in the children's activities.

Disney does cabins right though. Far superior for families over HALs quad cabins. The ship was stunning, the photographs were more affordable with better photographers, and the entertainment was top notch.

But for our family we just couldn't justify the cost given we could never hear each other speak, there are lines for everything and the pushing by adults was shocking.

Edited by 1of4