How to get to USA from Venice

Slypurrs

As far as I know, there are no nonstop flights from Venice to California. You will have to change planes somewhere depending on the airline. Examples:

British Airways-Heathrow

KLM-Amsterdam

Lufthansa-Hamburg

Air France-Paris

Delta-JFK

Lufthansa - Venice - Frankfurt - SFO (LAX).

Agree it would be Venice-Frankfurt-SFO, or possibly Venice-Munich-SFO. Don't think connecting in Hamburg will get you anywhere fast.

We flew non stop from Venice to Philadelphia on US Air.

Very true, Marie, but they are in California, and would have to go through customs and immigration in PHL They would have to claim their luggage and recheck it.

When we flew from St. Petersburg to LAX, we had to change planes in London, but checked our luggage straight through to LAX.

If they change in Europe, they can just got through customs and immigration at their destination

Our Orincess cruise ends in Venice. What is the best way to ge back to California? which airport leaves from Venice?

If you have time, you might want to think about a train from Venice to Rome to give yourself a day or two to see Rome. - and then take advantage of the much better flight connections from Rome to the US.

I'd suggest rail from Venice to Milan and home. You might have to connect or go the polar route to CA.

I'd suggest rail from Venice to Milan and home. You might have to connect or go the polar route to CA.

You have to connect. There are no non-stops from Italy to any airport in California.

And, as Europe is relatively (to the US)very far north, you will see the polar route on virtually all routes from Europe to the US.

You have to connect. There are no non-stops from Italy to any airport in California.

And, as Europe is relatively (to the US)very far north, you will see the polar route on virtually all routes from Europe to the US.

Polar Route to the Northeast Coast as well?

Isn't Alitalia still doing the LAX-FCO run a few times a week?

Edited by SadieN

Isn't Alitalia still doing the LAX-FCO run a few times a week?

Seems to me the last time we flew from Italy we flew Alitalia non-stop Rome to Boston.

When we used to fly from Milan, I think we had to connect through JFK.

Edited by sail7seas

This does not answer your question but as someone suggested you might want to consider taking the train to Rome and spending a few days there before heading home. We did this. When we went the airfare was significantly cheaper to fly from Rome rather than Venice and more than paid for the train ticket and a night at a hotel.

Since I live on the east coast we were able to get a non-stop flight. I did see that everyone continuing on had to get their luggage and go through customs and immigration and recheck their luggage.

I did see that everyone continuing on had to get their luggage and go through customs and immigration and recheck their luggage.

Yes this is the case connecting from any international flight (unless pre-cleared) to any international or domestic flight in the US, at any US airport, from/to any airline.

Edited by Zach1213