Bringing Foldable Bar-Height Chairs for Balcony

One of our favorite things to do when cruising on RCL is spending time on our balcony. However, a peeve is how the dirty glass and/or wood railings partially obstruct one's view when seated.

With that said, we're thinking about bringing foldable, lightweight, comfortable and compact bar-height chairs on our next RCL sailing.

Has anyone ever done this?

And yes, we pack light.

I think the issue, more than dirty glass, is the wooden railing is right a eye height when seated on the chairs provided. That is also what the OP is hoping to circumvent.

Edited by KMagz

One of our favorite things to do when cruising on RCL is spending time on our balcony. However, a peeve is how the dirty glass and/or wood railings partially obstruct one's view when seated.

With that said, we're thinking about bringing foldable, lightweight, comfortable and compact bar-height chairs on our next RCL sailing.

Has anyone ever done this?

And yes, we pack light.

Thought I have heard it all on CC but guess not! Not only have I never done this or would even contemplate doing this, well that's all I'll say or I might get in trouble......:rolleyes::rolleyes::eek:

Wouldn't it be easier to bring a little Windex and clean the glass?

doesn't work..the issue is the glass/acrylic is pitted from the salt water which distorts the view. plus the REAL issue is that the railing is DIRECTLY at eye level when you are seated. and windex is not gonna fix that!

I think the real issue would be you'd have to ask for the chairs that are already on the balcony to be removed in order to make room for anything you bring.

and I personally am not a fan of bar high chairs for this purpose

doesn't work..the issue is the glass/acrylic is pitted from the salt water which distorts the view. plus the REAL issue is that the railing is DIRECTLY at eye level when you are seated. and windex is not gonna fix that!

I think the real issue would be you'd have to ask for the chairs that are already on the balcony to be removed in order to make room for anything you bring.

and I personally am not a fan of bar high chairs for this purpose

I guess the more I think about this the more concerned I would be able personal safety on the balcony with a higher chair. It would have potentially a higher center of gravity and then if the ship has any 'even little turbulent sailing' could cause a safety issue.

I could be over thinking this....but it would not be something I would consider doing at all.

And to think that my husband complains when I bring a full size bottle of shampoo!

If the chairs are that lightweight, you would need to fold them up and put them away every time you finished using them.

Try sitting on your pillow..it raises you up a few inches so you can see above the rail and makes your seat more comfy! Wrap the pillow in a towel first!

I have the same pet peeve!

Lauri

Try sitting on your pillow..it raises you up a few inches so you can see above the rail and makes your seat more comfy! Wrap the pillow in a towel first!

I have the same pet peeve!

Lauri

This seems like a much simpler solution....thanks for sharing.

Take the chairs….sounds like a good idea.

We never hesitate to take the things that we think will enhance our cruise. For our Back2Back Panama Canal cruises we took a beach umbrella…DuckTaped it to our balcony railing and enjoyed the shade while everyone else sweated in the heat.

I guess the more I think about this the more concerned I would be able personal safety on the balcony with a higher chair. It would have potentially a higher center of gravity and then if the ship has any 'even little turbulent sailing' could cause a safety issue.

I could be over thinking this....but it would not be something I would consider doing at all.

I second this. I wouldn't be comfortable with anything that raises my centre of gravity that high near a railing on a ship. You could go 30 cruises without ever feeling any motion, but at any time there could be a lurch.

"""""Man overboard,,,,Man overboard"""""""Man overboard"""""""

Royal Caribbean announced today that a passenger on ***** of the seas fell overboard at 10pm Saterday. The man was rescued after two hours of searching. He was found holding what appeared to be a bar chair.

At a press conference earlier today Mr Smith stated he was going to sue RCCL for not having high enough railings on the balconies.

I second this. I wouldn't be comfortable with anything that raises my centre of gravity that high near a railing on a ship. You could go 30 cruises without ever feeling any motion, but at any time there could be a lurch.

I am 4'11 and sometimes just leaning against the balcony is creepy on slightly choppy seas -- I make sure I have nothing in my hands that will matter if it falls.

I will be content with the regular chairs and small table.

Wow! Bar height lightweight chairs on a cruise ship balcony sounds dangerous. I wonder if the line would even allow it. People will bring the strangest things on a cruise. I'm always looking to bring less...not more but whatever floats your boat.

I don't see why not. I am going to bring my RV next cruise and park it next to the Flowrider. That way I can fire up the barbecue grill and have hotdogs and burgers without going to the Windjammer. I hope they have electric and sanitation hookups there, I don't want to get called to the naughty room for bringing buckets and extension cords onboard.

Think how convenient it would be to have your own barstools with you on the cruise. You'd never have to wait for a seat at the bar--just set up your own! And for all the parades, you could just unfold your chair, climb on top, and stand there looking over the heads of the crowd. At my height, this would be a great help.

And you could join the lady who wanted to bring her camp stools and table to the windjammer to ensure they'd always have a seat there when it's crowded. :rolleyes:

"""""man overboard,,,,man overboard"""""""man overboard"""""""

royal caribbean announced today that a passenger on ***** of the seas fell overboard at 10pm saterday. The man was rescued after two hours of searching. He was found holding what appeared to be a bar chair.

At a press conference earlier today mr smith stated he was going to sue rccl for not having high enough railings on the balconies.

There's a post where someone wants to bring a portable table and chairs because of the difficulty of finding a table in the WJ. Now someone wants to bring "lightweight" high stools. If they are lightweight wouldn't that mean that in the wind, if you aren't sitting on them, they will blow over on the balcony, possibly blow OFF the balcony and possibly injure someone (including you). This means folding them and bringing them inside the cabin when you aren't using them, putting yourself up so high to sit that it could be dangerous too. To the person who said they duck tape a beach umbrella, I hope you are kidding. What an eyesore and a mess for the crew to clean around and to get the goop off when you leave. Please be serious. I see a day in the very near future when the cruise lines will have a much longer list of things you are forbidden to bring on board and people trying to figure out how to smuggle table and chairs to their cabin. The cruise lines don't limit you on the amount of luggage but more and more people are bringing rolling coolers for the cabin steward to keep filled, having coffee tables removed from their cabin, having a line that reaches across the cabin to dry clothes on, blow up pools for the pool deck, blenders, trays from home for carrying food, laundry baskets, game systems, and a multitude of other things...and encouraging others to do the same thing. I don't travel without my OTC medicines for an emergency or without my own shampoo and conditioner (in travel sizes) but one of the things I enjoy about cruising is not having to carry linens, groceries, cases of beverages and I would never think of furniture of any kind. NEVER.

I can't imagine that RCCL would allow high, light bar stools to get past the naughty room. If they did happen to make it to the cabin, the steward would probably take one look at them and remove them for the duration.

The chairs on the balconies are the heft and height they are for one reason -- safety. Why circumvent the ship in trying to keep you dry and alive?

I'm scratching my head over this one. :confused:

I've got to say all these threads about what people take on holiday with them do make me chuckle, I thought I packed heavy but playstations, coffee machines and furniture are madness!

I go on a cruise because they have all the furniture and amenities there already, anyone would think you people were going camping! :P

Edited by TheGinBoy

I've got to say all these threads about what people take on holiday with them do make me chuckle, I thought I packed heavy but playstations, coffee machines and furniture are madness!

I go on a cruise because they have all the furniture and amenities there already, anyone would think you people were going camping! :P

I can see bringing a small Keurig aboard. :p