Blu Dining not for us

Montana

Just returned from Celebrity Infinity cruise, and it is our first Blu experience. We only ate in the restaurant for dinner the first 2 nights, and we made the switch to the main dining room. The selection of dining options was poor especially on formal night, and the food just was lacking in flavor. We are not afraid to eat a carbohydrate in moderation and are not on a gluten free diet. When we changed to the Trellis, we found both the selection and the taste of the food more to our liking. We did not miss Blu. I know there are many who love this dining, but I will not sail Aqua Class again to experience this dining option.

Just returned from Celebrity Infinity cruise, and it is our first Blu experience. We only ate in the restaurant for dinner the first 2 nights, and we made the switch to the main dining room. The selection of dining options was poor especially on formal night, and the food just was lacking in flavor. We are not afraid to eat a carbohydrate in moderation and are not on a gluten free diet. When we changed to the Trellis, we found both the selection and the taste of the food more to our liking. We did not miss Blu. I know there are many who love this dining, but I will not sail Aqua Class again to experience this dining option.

i feel the same way. . On two cruises switch to the MDR as the food was better and i could dine with others.

We have just returned from a B2B in the Med, and only the first part was in Aqua (got a bargain) and we just loved it, purely because of Blu. Always good to read others' opinions though :)

We love our carbohydrates too, but didn't feel we missed out by eating in Blu. The second cruise, using the MDR, felt like a zoo in comparison - noisy and crowded (sold-out cruise and in the middle of the dining room :(). We certainly missed Blu and will definitely consider it for future cruises. In fact, we are on a wait list for Aqua for our 2017 Panama canal cruise!

Tried aqua, primarily so we could try Blu, and as I recall the food was OK. Our objection was the tables for two. One of the things we really look forward to on a cruise is a large table and meeting new friends and that just didn't work out in Blu. To me there is a huge difference between having a set table each night, and walking into Blu and just sitting next to whomever, often times people are not interested in talking to the neighbors etc. So that was our one and only time in AQ.

Tried aqua, primarily so we could try Blu, and as I recall the food was OK. Our objection was the tables for two. One of the things we really look forward to on a cruise is a large table and meeting new friends and that just didn't work out in Blu. To me there is a huge difference between having a set table each night, and walking into Blu and just sitting next to whomever, often times people are not interested in talking to the neighbors etc. So that was our one and only time in AQ.

I prefer tables for two and didn't eat in the MDR, so I can't compare the food, but I have a hard time believing it's better, not that Blu is otherwise amazing...it's mediocre...certainly plenty of carbohydrates...plenty of unhealthy foods in Blu.

Also, may ppl in Blu coupled up during the cruise...even creating tables of six.

Edited by soxfan2013

For us we do like Aqua Class but dinner in Blu is probably the least attractive part of it for us as we do prefer the MDR food offering & atmosphere... But we do really like breakfast in Blu as its nice & chilled out with great breakfast options & service [emoji4]

We will be cruising Celebrity for the first time next month on the Silhouette. We will be in an aqua cabin and we are looking forward to trying Blu. I hope we have a better experience eating at Blu.

We have dined in Blu on both Solstice and Eclipse and enjoyed both very much. When we do not have Blu dining we choose Select in the MDR as we are not fans of fixed seating.

Edited by sandancer

To each their own. Nice to hear differing views on dining preferences as long as we all appreciate that's exactly what they are ? There are no right or wrong answers on this one.

Not sure I understand your post? I don't see anyone posting anything other then their own views?

My DH and I book AQ when the price is the same as CC. While we aren't great fans of Blu food, IMO it beats the mobs in the MDR. We have had a couple of bad experiences with obnoxious table mates in MDR and now always dine at a table for two unless we travel with people we want to travel with. We typically dine mostly in specialty restaurents, but dine occasionally in Blu in order to reduce the calories we intake on the cruise. Since the food isn't great, better to eat less calories! While the tables are close sure beats the MDR. IMO food in either venue not great. Despite our best efforts, we manage to gain weight after a cruise.

Must admit it's the tables for two that would actually put us off Blue. Some of our best experiences of cruising have come from meeting new people in the MDR on a shared table. When on our honeymoon we took a table for two most night and admitted afterwards we really missed a shared table. We have made new friends and the good has far outweighed the bad.

On our last transatlantic we were in a Celebrity suite, and after dining in the MDR for the first 5 nights (Luminae was not an option yet) decided to try Blu, since as suite people we could dine there when space was available. We found the food we had been eating in the MDR superior to the offerings in Blu and never went back to Blu again.

Blu dining room is lovely, easy to have a conversation at dinner. I did like having breakfast served to you. The food is fine but I thought less variety than MDR.

If you are traveling with friends it makes sese if you only want have dinner with your group.

If just the two of us, we love late seating in MDR at a table for eight. I like the food in MDR.

Also the only time we were in Aqua was on the Constellation and the price point was the same as a veranda when we booked.

I would not pay that much more to have a AQ cabin. I will pay more for a C1 on the aft on any Celebrity ship.

I'm don't understand the part about carbohydrates. Is Blu low carbohydrate? Or, is Blu carbo heavy?

Edited by RocketMan275

Our sentiments exactly. We have that same objection to Murano, but we go there a couple of times a cruise for the food. I am dubious about Luminae but will give it a chance. If Luminae and Michael's don't work for us, I don't know what we'll do about, as Celebrity calls it, The Suite Life.

We have an aft Aqua cabin booked for Alaska in May '16 - it was cheaper than an aft Concierge Aqua. This is our first Aqua cabin but we've dined in Blu before as we were in a suite. We were not impressed so I'm thinking we may find ourselves in the same boat -:) as the OP.

Montana - did you discuss and o.k. your change to the MDR with the Maitre D of Blu and he arranged it? Was that awkward? I'm curious what it took for you to be changed as if we decide to do the same I'd want to follow proper protocol.

I do want to give a try but after a couple of nights if I dread going to dinner than we'll either switch or head to specialty.

Hi Jane2357,

Just for further info... on our last cruise in May we were in Aqua and wanted to dine in the MDR... We just spoke to the host/manager at the MDR and they said no problem... This was for select dining and we just showed up when ready... We never had to mention it again [emoji4]

This was our experience also. And friends who cruised with us too.

If we ever book an Aquaclass cabin again, it will be for that awesome shower!

I'm don't understand the part about carbohydrates. Is Blu low carbohydrate? Or, is Blu carbo heavy?

Thank you! What's up with the carbs?

We have an aft Aqua cabin booked for Alaska in May '16 - it was cheaper than an aft Concierge Aqua. This is our first Aqua cabin but we've dined in Blu before as we were in a suite. We were not impressed so I'm thinking we may find ourselves in the same boat -:) as the OP.

Montana - did you discuss and o.k. your change to the MDR with the Maitre D of Blu and he arranged it? Was that awkward? I'm curious what it took for you to be changed as if we decide to do the same I'd want to follow proper protocol.

I do want to give a try but after a couple of nights if I dread going to dinner than we'll either switch or head to specialty.

I can't imagine it would be awkward...the Maitre D said he'd be happy to make reservations for us in the Specialty Restaurants for a 20% discount.

This was our experience also. And friends who cruised with us too.

If we ever book an Aquaclass cabin again, it will be for that awesome shower!

Thank you! What's up with the carbs?

Blu is trying to be "healthier" and always offers healthy options...portions are smaller, but:

* you can get as much as you want and order as much as you want

* there are plenty of unhealthy, high carb options, from french onion to soup to apple pie a la mode.