Teen boys and elegant dining night?

cruisedreamin-gang

We are sailing on Carnival Fascination Feb 28 and bringing 2 fifteen year old boys. Husband and I will be dressed up for dinner that night but will the boys be able to wear jeans and button up shirts for dinner that night? I don't want to buy dress clothes they will never wear again if I don't have to.

We are sailing on Carnival Fascination Feb 28 and bringing 2 fifteen year old boys. Husband and I will be dressed up for dinner that night but will the boys be able to wear jeans and button up shirts for dinner that night? I don't want to buy dress clothes they will never wear again if I don't have to.

They'll probably be alright but it's up to the maitre'd (a strict application of the elegant night dress code is no jeans). Dress pants and nice shirt would work for sure.

I have been on one cruise long ago -- before marriage and kids -- so I probably shouldn't be chiming in, but here are my thoughts.

My boys (12 and 14) are going on their first cruise this year. I wouldn't allow them to wear jeans on formal/elegant night. It seems from reading these forums, that it's a no-no. I read one story on these forums where a teenage boy showed up to the dining room in jeans and sneakers (with his family) and they wouldn't seat him. I cannot remember the cruise line.

The safest option is to purchase pants. Maybe it doesn't have to be fancy dress pants. Chinos are a step above denim and depending on your kids, they might like them enough to wear to school. My kids have the flat front chinos from American Eagle and the Izod brand that you can buy at Kohl's. Black or charcoal looks dressier than khaki. Put a nice collared/dress shirt with them and you're set.

Edited by LoriLoriLori

I just bought my son a pair of Dockers and a button up shirt with a collar. Back then the style was to wear pants below their butts...I didn't allow it and made sure the Dockers fit correctly too. Thank gosh he is 27 now and that stage is over! lol But just some kind of pants other than jeans, they don't have to be fancy.

Coming from a mom of 2 sons (now age 40 and 41 :eek: ) it's time they learned that there will be times in their future lives when someone else (job, etc.) will dictate what they wear. So now is a nice time to start. You can get nice dress pants and dress shirts at almost any store that don't cost an arm and a leg. You might want to tell them that the girls will pay more attention to them if they're dressed up. :)

My Grandson has been cruising with us since he was 3-4 years old. He's 21 now and we we've seen teens turned away (they ask them to please go change). I've seen one man in jeans, so I agree...it's hit or miss. If they don't mind being told they can't come in and they are willing to just do the buffet in the WJ that night, that's fine...but they'll miss the lobster because they don't serve it at the buffet. I would have them carry dress slacks and a shirt.

Kimberly,

You can buy nice gently used pants for teen boys here for only a few dollars - some pairs as low as $4 and they have 25% off flash sales - like right now:

http://www.schoola.com/stitch/shop/boys-high-schoola?category=Pants

You can always re-sell them back afterwards if these boys are still going through growth spurts.

The idea of being reluctant to buy a boy (almost a young man) a pair of trousers other than jeans, which he "...will never wear again..." is worth comment.

Will he actually never wear anything but jeans? Or is he simply so disinclined?

Buy the boys some of chinos --- set some standard - perhaps complying with the ship's standards if you have none of your own when it comes to teaching young men how to live in the world.

They may be allowed in they may not.

A pair of pants, dockers, chinos or even something a bit better won't break the bank and at 15 they may soon need them anyway to go out on dates or apply for part time jobs or just to try and attract some chicky babes.

The idea of being reluctant to buy a boy (almost a young man) a pair of trousers other than jeans, which he "...will never wear again..." is worth comment.

Buy the boys some of chinos --- set some standard - perhaps complying with the ship's standards if you have none of your own when it comes to teaching young men how to live in the world.

Perhaps the OP was referring to the very real possibility that the pair of trousers will not be worn again because fifteen year old boys grow like weeds and by the time the next special occasion comes around the trousers will no longer fit.

I raised three boys and through their teenage and collage years they worn almost nothing but their school uniforms, jeans and shorts. Trousers or Dockers special occasions were very, very rare. Luckily when they wore Dockers or trousers for those special occasions the once worn trousers could be passed down to the next boy. If we had had two boys the same age as the OP it would have been wear once and done!:(

There has been some good advice given so far about buying some inexpensive Dockers type pants for the boys. But if anyone expects the OP's two fifteen year olds to wear those pants to school, or to the mall, or to their sports games is living on another planet.;)

a pair of khakis or dockers is far more appropriate

Perhaps the OP was referring to the very real possibility that the pair of trousers will not be worn again because fifteen year old boys grow like weeds and by the time the next special occasion comes around the trousers will no longer fit.

then hit your nearest Thrift Shop and buy them for $3.

[...]

There has been some good advice given so far about buying some inexpensive Dockers type pants for the boys. But if anyone expects the OP's two fifteen year olds to wear those pants to school, or to the mall, or to their sports games is living on another planet.;) and what is wrong with expecting these almost adults to start dressing like adults?!

want to be treated like mature individuals, then start acting/looking like one.

It is likely these boys are going through growth spurts. The fasted period of growth in boys is between ages 12 and 16 where they may grow as much as 1 foot in those years. But boys really don't stop growing until they are 21 in most cases. The difference in height between age 12 and age 21 can on average be as much as 1.5 feet and they typically gain 15 to 65 pounds during this period as well. What fits now may not in 1-3 months time because of this. This is why buying gently used/secondhand clothes makes sense with this age group.

So, I think the OP's comment about not wanting to spend money on clothes the boys won't wear again, is most likely tied to the fact that these boys are experiencing growth spurts. The boys ARE right in the prime age to experience growth spurts.

This is just a suggestion if you don't want to spend lots of money go to a thrift shop and find some dress slacks for them.

I have been on one cruise long ago -- before marriage and kids -- so I probably shouldn't be chiming in, but here are my thoughts.

My boys (12 and 14) are going on their first cruise this year. I wouldn't allow them to wear jeans on formal/elegant night. It seems from reading these forums, that it's a no-no. I read one story on these forums where a teenage boy showed up to the dining room in jeans and sneakers (with his family) and they wouldn't seat him. I cannot remember the cruise line.

The safest option is to purchase pants. Maybe it doesn't have to be fancy dress pants. Chinos are a step above denim and depending on your kids, they might like them enough to wear to school. My kids have the flat front chinos from American Eagle and the Izod brand that you can buy at Kohl's. Black or charcoal looks dressier than khaki. Put a nice collared/dress shirt with them and you're set.

I've seen some of the boys my girl's gone to school with experience big growth spurts, so I can understand the reluctance. But if you go to Goodwill or other second hand stores, you may luck out and find slacks that end up at those places because of growth spurts. But then that means the clothes are still in great shape. And once the boys outgrow the slacks, you can sell or donate them back.

I can't believe that there won't be occasions for 15-year-olds not to need something more dressier than jeans. This is the age when girls are wanting to throw dressier birthday parties (my daughter has gone to ones in which the teens were asked to dress up, and usually boys are invited). There could be high school functions that ask for something other than jeans (banquets, athletes are often asked to dress up on game day, etc.). And also those events that unfortunately came up suddenly, such as funerals and you don't want to be shopping around then for appropriate clothes (a couple of years ago, someone my daughter knew passed away, and many of the kids wore their "Sunday best" to the service).

It is likely these boys are going through growth spurts. The fasted period of growth in boys is between ages 12 and 16 where they may grow as much as 1 foot in those years. But boys really don't stop growing until they are 21 in most cases. The difference in height between age 12 and age 21 can on average be as much as 1.5 feet and they typically gain 15 to 65 pounds during this period as well. What fits now may not in 1-3 months time because of this. This is why buying gently used/secondhand clothes makes sense with this age group.

So, I think the OP's comment about not wanting to spend money on clothes the boys won't wear again, is most likely tied to the fact that these boys are experiencing growth spurts. The boys ARE right in the prime age to experience growth spurts.

Of course, teen age boys' growth should not just be physical --- part of it should be learning how to live among people. I have a hard time believing that boys whose parents can afford to bring them on cruises would not have any occasions where something other than jeans woud be indicated. Seriously!!!!!!!

Well i had no idea this would cause such a debate. Just so you understand why I asked. the boys are homeschooled and we live in the country. foot hills of the Appalachia. both boys are always dressed nicely and rarely go out of the house without a button up shirt tucked in, nice dark wash jeans, with a belt, and cowboy boots. They do not nor will they ever wear pants that do not fit properly or their shorts hanging out.

I will buy them the pants that's needed but wanted to avoid the expense if I could. They are growing inches everyday and one already wears 34 length.

You don't need to spend a lot to get them appropriate clothes. What a shame to let such a good teaching opportunity go by. How do they learn they cannot always wear jeans to anywhere/everywhere. Let them learn they will have times in life when other clothing is expected of them and there could be penalty to them (even if only subtle) if they fail to comply. If you get them a blazer and decent pair of trousers, a button collar shirt and tie, they'll look great and there are plenty of places to buy on line for very low prices. Doesn't have to be from Brooks Brothers. :D

If they outgrow these clothes, I am sure there are charitable opportunities where you can donate them.

Edited by sail7seas