Oh no, panty hose?

Hockeylovinmom

I just bought them for the very same reason and we cruise tomorrow. Not much of a selection out there. I haven't worn them in a good 10-15 years. I bet they will be as uncomfortable as I remember too

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I think you should wear hose if you want to. I believe everyone should wear whatever they feel comfortable with.:D

But just a tip...they are very out of mode right now (just say'n, in case you should care about that...some women don't and that okay too). I usually only wear colored hose or black tights but that's only when the weather is cold. Textured hose, i.e., fishnet ones, are also in style right now; but the flesh-colored ones, not so much. Have you tried using self-tanner on your legs to help them look better? That trick works for lots of women.

I used to wear hose for the control-top feature as I very much need the help in the tummy area. But now I just get Spanx (or something similar to those) undies. They work great. I got an off-brand pair at Target that work really well for me...but Spanx are the best.

Hockeylovinmom, if you still want to buy hose...Spanx makes the most comfortable ones...IMHO. They also wash very well. I have a pair of black control-top tights that I bought and I've washed them so many times I've lost count. They have never lost their stretch or pilled. They still look brand new even though I've worn and washed them so many, many times.

I hope this helps.:D

Edited by mousey

I feel the same way about baring my legs in dressy dresses. I honestly feel that hose gives a much more finished look, more polished. But, because I can't stand to wear pantyhose, I wear mid-calf or longer dresses and skirts, or I wear pants. Finished, polished, and comfy. If I really had a dress or skirt that was shorter, that I wanted to wear, I'd wear hose.

I am old enough to remember when pantyhose first showed up, available and reasonably priced. We embraced them as freedom from garter belts and the like. They were wonderful!

I think it is a matter of what is most comfortable to you. For me panty hose are so uncomfortable (no matter which brand or price point) it outweighs any thoughts of how my legs may look. I don't want to spend my time wanting the event to end so I can go change.

I am one of those who still ware the panty hose, true , very sheer , but my old legs just don't look so good as some of the young ladies on these boards , who never ware the panty hose and the little extra smoothing that you get with them is beneficial as well , honestly I never heard anyone on a ship say , "Oh dear that person is waring pantyhose" , I think you should ware what is comfortable for you.

Cori

I'm 54, don't wear pantyhose and my legs don't look like they did when I was 30, but they're not supposed to.:rolleyes:

I have worn pantyhose once in the last 5 or so years and that was to a holiday party this past Christmas and that's because the shoes were closed toed slingbacks and worked with the dress. Otherwise, if people don't like how my legs look, tough.

I don't find panty hose uncomfortable and will wear them if I think the dress, or weather, calls for them. On a Caribbean cruise probably not, going to the Symphony in winter with a short dress, or on an Alaska cruise with a short dress I will wear them. About the only long pants I wear are jeans.

Mary Lou

I just bought them for the very same reason and we cruise tomorrow. Not much of a selection out there. I haven't worn them in a good 10-15 years. I bet they will be as uncomfortable as I remember too

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Have fun! Have fun!

I think you should wear hose if you want to. I believe everyone should wear whatever they feel comfortable with.:D

But just a tip...they are very out of mode right now (just say'n, in case you should care about that...some women don't and that okay too). I usually only wear colored hose or black tights but that's only when the weather is cold. Textured hose, i.e., fishnet ones, are also in style right now; but the flesh-colored ones, not so much. Have you tried using self-tanner on your legs to help them look better? That trick works for lots of women.

I used to wear hose for the control-top feature as I very much need the help in the tummy area. But now I just get Spanx (or something similar to those) undies. They work great. I got an off-brand pair at Target that work really well for me...but Spanx are the best.

Hockeylovinmom, if you still want to buy hose...Spanx makes the most comfortable ones...IMHO. They also wash very well. I have a pair of black control-top tights that I bought and I've washed them so many times I've lost count. They have never lost their stretch or pilled. They still look brand new even though I've worn and washed them so many, many times.

I hope this helps.:D

Good advice. In truth, I haven't worn them for a long time, but I have a beautiful new cocktail dress that just looks like I need something! I have tried self tanner without much success. I guess I don't have the patience to apply it correctly. (Did I mention my legs are rather white, especially in the winter). Leg makeup works sometimes - I think Sally Hanson makes a spray on. I think I will order the Spanx brand. I like their products. When I worked (as a teacher) I wore tights with dresses for warmth!

Who says that pantyhose are out of mode? First I've heard of that too. Where do these "laws" come from. Certainly not apparent around the world. I can't imagine wearing a nice cocktail dress with bare legs.

There are some fabulous sheer pantyhose that finish off an outfit. I think it's only the young with tanned gorgeous legs that look good in formal wear bare legged.

Edited by Pushka

Perhaps one reason people hate pantyhose is that they don't fit well. I have found the size chats on the packages are really off and seem to be intended for people who are very skinny through the hips and thighs. Buying the size indicated on the package results for many women in a crotch that does not stay in place or a waist band and that is too tight or that rolls down. Whether traditional hose to tights, I buy at least a size up from the chart suggestion (I do the same thing with Spanx) and get a much more comfortable fit. Since I carry much of my weight in my hips and thighs, I find the smallest queen size (when I can find it) to be a good fit

even though I am a size 12-14 pants.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Who says that pantyhose are out of mode? First I've heard of that too. Where do these "laws" come from. Certainly not apparent around the world. I can't imagine wearing a nice cocktail dress with bare legs.

There are some fabulous sheer pantyhose that finish off an outfit. I think it's only the young with tanned gorgeous legs that look good in formal wear bare legged.

I believe I heard it from my teenaged niece. (lol)! I agree. THEY are the ones that can pull it off!

I hardly ever wear them anymore, and they are uncomfortable to me, even though I 'size up', but I certainly think it is fine to wear them if you prefer.

I see plenty of options in various stores. It might take some trial and error to get just the right look and feel you want.

Perhaps one reason people hate pantyhose is that they don't fit well. I have found the size chats on the packages are really off and seem to be intended for people who are very skinny through the hips and thighs. Buying the size indicated on the package results for many women in a crotch that does not stay in place or a waist band and that is too tight or that rolls down. Whether traditional hose to tights, I buy at least a size up from the chart suggestion (I do the same thing with Spanx) and get a much more comfortable fit. Since I carry much of my weight in my hips and thighs, I find the smallest queen size (when I can find it) to be a good fit

even though I am a size 12-14 pants.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, I buy Queen sized even though I'm a 10-12. They do not sag and I'm able to avoid the dreaded muffin top (another of my figure flaws)!

I'm curious if anyone her wears rights with a skirt and boots. Same comfort level, in my opinion and very in fashion now!

I agree it's all about what you're comfortable with. Dutchess Kate wears panty hose when the occasion calls for it and so should you if they make you feel more comfortable about your legs!

Self tanner does wonders, as does the Sally Hansen Airbrush Legs. Makes your legs look perfect! I recommend the medium tone - the light is orangey to me. SERIOUSLY - a bit waterproof, you don't worry about a little sweat or a little rain!

Sent from my SM-N900P using Forums mobile app