Snobby Passengers??

So far we have only cruised on Carnival, but to be clear it's because the price, dates and ports were what we were looking for. I'm not a die hard supporter of any cruise line/resort/etc.

To be clear, my husband and I usually cruise with our boys (five of them, though our next cruise in January our two oldest will not be with us-military got them instead! :( ) Though we are trying to do more things as a couple, now that our boys are older. I am a fairly reserved person, I like to have fun, but I'm not always the best at meeting new people. I would hardly call myself rude or unfriendly, just a bit on the shy side when it comes to putting myself out there in large groups where I do not know anyone.

We have booked a cruise on RCCL for this upcoming January. We got an amazing deal, and the kids were thrilled to try something new. To be honest, so were my husband and I.

What I'm really surprised about is how many people say that guests on RCCL, and even the staff are snobs.

Maybe I'm wrong, but making such a harsh judgment about someone you don't know seems pretty snobby to me.

And can we really say that there aren't snobs on CCL? I know I sure met a few on our three cruises...and a few of them took the cake! sheesh!

Is RCCL really that bad? I'm hoping for some unbiased opinions, as I'm just not one of those gals that's going to be a die hard CCL fan/RCCL/NCL etc...I've not been treated yet to anything that would inspire that sort of loyalty from me.

I haven't been on RCCL in 5 years, but when we were on it, it was no different than what we've experienced with Carnival. You will find all types of people on any cruise. Just ignore them the best you can and enjoy your vacation.

And this also includes the staff. We didn't interact with the staff as much on RCCL as we do with Carnival (our choice), but the best waitress (or waiter) we've ever had was on the RCCL Jewel.

Steve

I have been on five RCCL ships and find the staff very warm and including about 99% of the passengers. Once in a while just like on land you will come across an occasional jerk but that can happen anywhere at anytime in life.

Having been on one RCI cruise and six Carnival's, I can honestly say that the people are more friendly on Carnival. We cruised out of San Juan on the Adventure of the Seas. Maybe the port of departure had something to do with it. All I know is that if you say something to someone on Carnival, they will answer back 99% of the time. On the AOS if you spoke to someone, they ignored you 75% of the time.

I realize you asked for an unbiased opinion but all opinions are biased. I wouldn't exactly call the passengers and crew on RCI snobs, just not very friendly.

I have been on 53 cruises so far and most of my cruises are on RC and Carnival. There are pros and cons to each of these cruise lines but we prefer and our most favorite cruise line is RC. Out of the past 20 cruises I have taken during the past 9 years I have to say NCL Breakaway out of NY was the only cruise that we encountered a number of sarcastic, rude, obnoxious and snotty people. I could not believe the comments made to people by passengers on this cruise.

You will love RC trust me, you will see everything for yourself and when you come back I am positive you will love RC. Which ship did you book?

We've cruised 5 times with RCI and once each with HAL and Carnival. Our upcoming cruise is Carnival because we want to leave from Charleston and because RCI no longer permits smoking on balconies. I agree with a previous poster. We always found RCI fellow passengers to be friendly down to earth people who want to enjoy their vacation just like you do. We didn't find them snobbish. You will always have a few losers in any large group, but I think you should expect to have just as enjoyable time as on Carnival.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Forums mobile app

So far we have only cruised on Carnival, but to be clear it's because the price, dates and ports were what we were looking for. I'm not a die hard supporter of any cruise line/resort/etc.

To be clear, my husband and I usually cruise with our boys (five of them, though our next cruise in January our two oldest will not be with us-military got them instead! :( ) Though we are trying to do more things as a couple, now that our boys are older. I am a fairly reserved person, I like to have fun, but I'm not always the best at meeting new people. I would hardly call myself rude or unfriendly, just a bit on the shy side when it comes to putting myself out there in large groups where I do not know anyone.

We have booked a cruise on RCCL for this upcoming January. We got an amazing deal, and the kids were thrilled to try something new. To be honest, so were my husband and I.

What I'm really surprised about is how many people say that guests on RCCL, and even the staff are snobs.

Maybe I'm wrong, but making such a harsh judgment about someone you don't know seems pretty snobby to me.

And can we really say that there aren't snobs on CCL? I know I sure met a few on our three cruises...and a few of them took the cake! sheesh!

Is RCCL really that bad? I'm hoping for some unbiased opinions, as I'm just not one of those gals that's going to be a die hard CCL fan/RCCL/NCL etc...I've not been treated yet to anything that would inspire that sort of loyalty from me.

Form your own opinion. There are "snobs" on every line. ;)

For the most part you won't find many snobs on any mass market cruise lines

although like anywhere there are bound to be a few jerks.

If you want to find them just let everyone around know you like Carnival . Ta Da - instant jerks ! :D

I've sailed on four lines, and only met one couple that I would consider snobs on any of them--and it was not on RCCL. We also only truly "made friends" with anyone on the same ship, so you take the good with the bad.

By the way, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

Edited by ducklite

I've sailed Carnival, RCL, and HAL. Found the most snobs on HAL but the crew was the best and most friendly of all three lines. Did not like RCL and found the crew to be the least friendly of all and the passengers not much better with a few rare exceptions.

I wonder how you decide if someone is a "snob"?

Does that just mean they aren't interested in being friends with you or socializing or does that mean they talk about their money or???????

I really don't know how to judge that with strangers on a cruise?:confused:

We find that most people respond to friendly conversation on all cruise ships.

I have cruised both Royal and Carnival, and have found the passengers to be about equal in their demeanor. I haven't experienced what I would describe as "snobs," although i have run into those who felt they were more "entitled" than the rest of the passengers making unreasonable request due to their cruising level/status, or the type of cabin they were staying in. I don't let it/them bother me either way. I'm on vacation to have a great time, and enjoy those who are doing the same.

The only thing I noticed that when you sail on RCCL, you are sailing with others willing to invest a little more in their vacation. The one thing lacking is the FUN element. Service is a bit better, as is the entertainment.

But snobby? No one knows or is advertising what they normally sail unless you have a conversation with them. And you will find many that have sailed many lines. And you will find some that have only sailed RCCL, and have preconceived notions of other lines they haven't tried.

When we took our first RCCL cruise, I kinda bought into that I was stepping up to something, and came away finding it was just a step to the side. They are just as popular as they know what they are doing.

I do not believe their is anything inherently more "snobbish" about RCCL cruisers vs. Carnival ones. Many who some perceive as "snobby" are in fact quite shy. We have sailed several lines and enjoy them all and have met wonderful folks on each.

We've traveled on several cruise lines and I do not remember anyone being snobby. There was one woman, however, who after finding out we were from Alaska and didn't like Sarah Palin any more turned her nose up at us. LOL

Just have fun and don't worry about a thing! You'll find people from all walks of life on your Royal Caribbean cruise.

Cheers,

Taters

Does that just mean they aren't interested in being friends with you or socializing or does that mean they talk about their money or???????

What you said above is true. We don't know what the meaning of snob is. What it means to me may not mean it for others. Every time we asked to share a table on the Lido deck, no one turned us down or said the chairs were for family. We can usually talk to any one and have met some nice people here and there and we still stay in touch with them. I suppose if one expects snobbish, they'll find it.:rolleyes:

I met some great people on RCL, both passengers and crew. The service in the main dining is better on RCL, but i love the more relaxed and fun atmosphere on Carnival. I have 2 more Carnival cruises booked but i am looking at fitting in a RCL cruise between the two of the Carnival.

I do not believe their is anything inherently more "snobbish" about RCCL cruisers vs. Carnival ones. Many who some perceive as "snobby" are in fact quite shy. We have sailed several lines and enjoy them all and have met wonderful folks on each.

Generalizations, like RC pax are "snobs" or Carnival pax are " fill-in-the-blank", are rarely true. Every cruise has a slightly different cast of characters and if one's purpose is to enjoy their cruise as one of the 3,000 or so individuals on board, one will be able to do just that. If you choose to find particular character traits and defects amongst those 3,000, then your cruise experience will be adjusted accordingly. It's entirely your choice.

I've always found at least one other passenger on board a ship I'm cruising on that can impart a new way of looking at things for me - one of the reasons I enjoy cruises or land vacations in unfamiliar countries.

We've encountered people who we just didn't care for, and while cordial, we were cool to avoid encouraging them to try to further befriend us. If that makes us "snobs," so be it.

We don't talk about money or how much things cost in general. It's one thing to say, "While we were out exploring we walked a few blocks away from the main tourist drag and found a small shop with the cutest little shell necklaces for only $4 each, so we picked one up for our eight year old niece" and another to say, "We didn't bother to look at any of the jewelry stores in port as we only buy our jewelry at Tiffany and never spend less than $18,000 on a piece." In my opinion the first is making small talk, the second is being a snob.

We've found that on cruises with a lot of people from the West coast, they are not very friendly. They ignore you, are unfriendly, and will just step right in front of you when you are in the buffet line etc. When coming back from a repositioning Hawaiian cruise through Vancouver, a customs agent made the comment that we must not be from California, we were too friendly.:)