So excited but this formal night is stressing me out!

We are taking a 7 night RC cruise the end of June. We are bringing our 2 15 year old daughters too. Where does everyone shop for formal night? We have 2 formal nights (that means 4 dresses) - it's after prom season here and there seems to be nothing! What does everyone have their teenage daughters wear? Where do you shop? I haven't even thought about what I will wear!

How "formal" do you want to be? What would you like in a family portrait? You should dress how you are comfortable. "Formal" is not an enforced rule, so do not feel compelled to spend a lot of money for clothing if you intend to wear it once or twice. Anything you'd wear for a family meal dining out would be sufficient. If you are into fashion there is a sub forum on cruise critic all about fashion as well.

We are taking a 7 night RC cruise the end of June. We are bringing our 2 15 year old daughters too. Where does everyone shop for formal night? We have 2 formal nights (that means 4 dresses) - it's after prom season here and there seems to be nothing! What does everyone have their teenage daughters wear? Where do you shop? I haven't even thought about what I will wear!

R you church goers? Dress up church? (most men in our church wear shorts but . . .)

That's all you need to fit in . . . don't buy prom dresses for a cruise.

NICE is FINE ......

You need not worry over this. There is absolutely no need for separate dress for each formal night. I hesitate to respond due to your even thinking it. We may live on different planets. It is not prom night. It is just dressy. Some go full formal, some less. If I need to explain dressy, forget it, I can't help.

My neices wore nice sundresses with shrugs to cover thier shoulders. Cute and as was noted above 'chruch' level dress up. On the Alaska cruise many wore nice pants with sweaters. It's not really 'formal' on most lines anymore, but think nice dinner (Morton's vs Outback).

A lot of ladies (me included) wear black slacks with a nice top and sandals. Don't stress about it. If you don't want to spend a lot of money check out consignment shops. Young adults can look great in some of the cute sundresses that are everywhere.

Found a whole bunch of pretty dresses at Kohl's online. These are all short but can do maxi. DDs wear jersey knit dresses. They can also wear the same dress twice. Good time to teach them about changing the look with accessories;)

1542292?wid=180&hei=180&op_sharpen=1

1760398?wid=180&hei=180&op_sharpen=1

1681575?wid=180&hei=180&op_sharpen=1

1668006?wid=180&hei=180&op_sharpen=1

As others have said, don't stress about it. A nice skirt (long would be nice, but not necessary) or dressier pants with a top with a little lace or sparkle would work fine. Luckily lace/sparkles/flash/glitter are "in" right now, so it should be easy to find something that doesn't cost a fortune and they'd be comfortable in. Same goes for Mom!

I bring a black skirt (or dress pants) and a nice top - not everyone will be in a long evening gown. No need to get stressed.

lYou are overthinking this. Your girls can wear their older prom dresses, if they fit. Otherwise, any "party dress" will do.

You can wear an evening gown or cocktail dress, hubby can wear a dark suit or tux... or you can be less "formal"....it's up to you. "Formal" is but a suggestion.

I often wear cocktail gown length. That's fine for teen girls, too. Something they would wear for a party. Our 16 year old went to her band banquet a few weeks ago and was probably the least dressed up (she wore a skirt with lacy tights but wore a open men's style shirt over a tank top -- she's got her own style:rolleyes:) while many of the girls there wore mid-thigh length dresses, with green the most popular color).

If they need to get a dress, you can certainly check out a thrift shop for vintage dresses. Also check sales at places like JC Penneys. As some have said, some women will go with a dress skirt or pants (silky type) and pair with glitzy tops for each formal night. If you accessorize right, you'll look really dressy.

The word 'formal' implies something that it really is not.

When we do attend formal nights in the MDR we very, very seldom see women dressed in true formal wear...unless you call cocktail dresses or slacks and blouses formal. Same for men.

Like! Kind and helpful suggestion.

Found a whole bunch of pretty dresses at Kohl's online. These are all short but can do maxi. DDs wear jersey knit dresses. They can also wear the same dress twice. Good time to teach them about changing the look with accessories;)

1542292?wid=180&hei=180&op_sharpen=1

1760398?wid=180&hei=180&op_sharpen=1

1681575?wid=180&hei=180&op_sharpen=1

1668006?wid=180&hei=180&op_sharpen=1

There are a few good threads on the cruise fashion forum as well. I'm going on HAL to Alaska in July - I'm taking a church-y black dress [even tho I mostly wear slacks to church!] - a silk beaded shawl/pearls for one night and a jacket with a teeny little glitz/statement necklace for the other. Or I'll wear the slacks with those accessories...

I bring a black skirt (or dress pants) and a nice top - not everyone will be in a long evening gown. No need to get stressed.

This is so true. In fact, not many at all will be in long evening gowns.

LuLu

Do your daughters like dressing up? I have one that does and one that doesn't. We used the opportunity to take a family picture, tried it again this year, but the photos didn't turn out good enough to buy this time.

We were able to get clearance prom dresses really inexpensively, from Macy's online. We got them in 2012 and they were able to wear them again this year, plus we lent some out to a good friend. 3 of the 4 dresses are short, 1 was a high/low. For our Alaska cruise we just got some evening shawls - one purchased on clearance after Christmas/New Years, one borrowed.

BUT on both of our cruises, my daughters were in the minority - most teens didn't dress up, many apparently didn't even go to dinner with their parents at all...

DO NOT spend money on gowns for this. It is not that formal, and nobody is checking at the door (or anywhere else) whether you and your girls are wearing the right stuff (whatever that is).

It is an elegant dining room with linen cloths and careful service from the staff. Dress up as much as you will enjoy without spending a lot of money on clothes. I am a great fan of long diaphonous shawls with some sparkles. Covers up a multitude of mundane clothing underneath.

If you want to go true formal--or close--there seem to be lots of prom-type dresses on sale here or online right now. There will be some teen girls who dress up like this; I think it's a great look for them.

Otherwise, there are so many cute options that are just dressy--not formal--in the stores right now. Lots of sundresses, lacy short dresses, skirts and tops, etc.

I know because we are taking teen granddaughters and grandsons on a cruise and I've started shopping with the girls. Target and Penney's have some great options, as well as the 'teen' stores. The boys are easier though, because they don't really care, they'll more or less wear what I buy them.

I am also taking a 15 year old girl on a cruise this summer. As others have said, it doesn't need to be "formal" like prom, but dressy. My daughter is a freshman in high school, so hasn't been to any really formal dances yet. She did buy a nice dress for homecoming this year, and will wear that for one formal night. She has a couple of other dresses that might work, but I think I might take the suggestion of going to thrift shops. There's a pretty good consignment store that she likes to visit, so maybe we will go there. Anything that you'd wear to a nice party or wedding is good enough. My boys will be in tuxedos, because they own them already for band, so I suspect my daughter will want to dress up enough to not look out of place with them, but not go so far as a long ball gown.

If you have a mall near you with a "DEB" shop, that is a good place for teen aged girls. Their clothes are pretty reasonable.

I think a cocktail style dress for you is appropriate. Some people do dress up on RC. On our last cruise, 2 out of the 8 men at our dining table wore tuxes, the other 2 wore dark suits. All of the women were in cocktail dresses.

On my 1st cruise I wore a black dress for both formal nights. I doubt anyone noticed.

Don't stress. The formal night is only a short time out of a cruise. Enjoy!

Don't stress! The "little black dress" is always appropriate. ( mine is a no-wrinkle jersey type). As someone else said - anything you would wear out to a nice restaurant. For the most part, the long sequined numbers are few and far between. Accessorize and wear your dress more than once. I guarantee, no one will notice!