Some questions re working with a PCC at HAL

Turtles06

Hello HAL experts -- my wife and I are veteran cruisers, but have never sailed with HAL before. With the new non-smoking policy going into effect, HAL is now open to us, and we're quite happy about that, as HAL has some terrific itineraries (as you all know). In anticipation of a future booking with HAL, I have created an on-line account with HAL, and received an unsolicited email assigning a Personal Cruise Consultant (PCC) to us.

For those of you (like me) who like to book directly with the cruise line and don't use a travel agent, have you found it useful to have a PCC at HAL? I ask because I have one at NCL (he's terrific and a great help), and I know that on the occasions when he's not available, sometimes no one else will assist me, because they say I'm his client, or it's his booking, things like that.

I don't like to be stymied that way when I need to get something taken care of (switching cabins, taking advantage of a price drop, things like that). So are there downsides to having a PCC at HAL? Upsides? Any other tips re the PCCs?

Thanks in advance for any help!

I can't answer your question, but I think you should really consider using a Travel Agent, especially one who specializes in cruises. If for no other reason, you will get a much better price than a PCC will give you.

I can't answer your question, but I think you should really consider using a Travel Agent, especially one who specializes in cruises. If for no other reason, you will get a much better price than a PCC will give you.

I second Tom's recommendation. A good TA will get you a better rate and other add-ons. We use PCCs years ago and were not impressed. Nothing other than a live person to talk to. No deals or cabin upgrades. There are folks on this board who will swear that their PCC is the best, but we weren't impressed with them. Though finding a good TA can take some time.

Dan

Hello HAL experts -- my wife and I are veteran cruisers, but have never sailed with HAL before. With the new non-smoking policy going into effect, HAL is now open to us, and we're quite happy about that, as HAL has some terrific itineraries (as you all know). In anticipation of a future booking with HAL, I have created an on-line account with HAL, and received an unsolicited email assigning a Personal Cruise Consultant (PCC) to us.

For those of you (like me) who like to book directly with the cruise line and don't use a travel agent, have you found it useful to have a PCC at HAL? I ask because I have one at NCL (he's terrific and a great help), and I know that on the occasions when he's not available, sometimes no one else will assist me, because they say I'm his client, or it's his booking, things like that.

I don't like to be stymied that way when I need to get something taken care of (switching cabins, taking advantage of a price drop, things like that). So are there downsides to having a PCC at HAL? Upsides? Any other tips re the PCCs?

Thanks in advance for any help!

I have booked cruises directly on websites, used a TA, and I'm currently using a PCC at HAL. (BTW, this website will not let us identify PCC or TA.) I have also booked cruises on-board HAL.

I too was contacted by a PCC after I opened an account at Holland. I decided to continue using the two TA I had been using. Several months later and after reading reports on this website, I re-established contact with the PCC. I'm very glad I did. She has been very responsive and helpful.

My PCC ensures I get all the benefits I'm entitled to.

My PCC applies promos and discounts that I'm not aware of.

A PCC can see many more bookable rooms than are shown on the website. She can arrange to make these rooms made available.

My PCC works a fairly standard Monday to Friday work week. Her answering machine gives an alternative POC and phone number to contact when she is out of office. I've not found a reason to use the alternative. Twice, I've noticed price drops on the webpage when she was out of office. I sent her an email noting the price drops. On her next work day, I received an email with a new invoice attached incorporating the price drop.

Holland allows TA to discount fares. Ten to fifteen percent discounts are common. Other TA will offer around 9% of the fare in OBC. Holland allows you to transfer a booking made either directly on the website, on-board, or through a PCC to a TA. (I'm fairly certain this must be done prior to final payment.) Many posters have stated that PCC are fine with transferring their bookings. That the PCC still get credit for the booking. My PCC confirms this.

It is my intent to book all my Holland cruises through this lady. I will transfer these bookings to a TA about 90 days out to get the TA discount.

BTW, any promos, perks, etc., you receive from the PCC will be transferred with the booking.

Maybe I'm fortunate in the PCC I was assigned but I see no reason not to make the initial booking through her.

Edited by RocketMan275

We do both. We have a great PCC (who always has another PCC answer our calls and emails if she's out). She knows our likes and dislikes and has always taken great care of us. That said, we don't need any hand-holding. We do like having someone who is prompt with upgrade offers and not having a middle man.

Just before final payment when we have everything the way we like, we transfer the booking to a big box TA and get extra OBC. Our PCC still gets credit for the booking. This has worked well for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We do both. We have a great PCC (who always has another PCC answer our calls and emails if she's out). She knows our likes and dislikes and has always taken great care of us. That said, we don't need any hand-holding. We do like having someone who is prompt with upgrade offers and not having a middle man.

Just before final payment when we have everything the way we like, we transfer the booking to a big box TA and get extra OBC. Our PCC still gets credit for the booking. This has worked well for us.

This is also what I do. It works great.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you to everyone above for your replies, I appreciate them!

For those who book directly with HAL (via a PCC or otherwise) and later transfer the booking to a TA, is there no deadline at all for that transfer after you book (other than that the transfer take place before final payment)? In other words, you don't have to transfer within x days or months of booking?

Thank you to everyone above for your replies, I appreciate them!

For those who book directly with HAL (via a PCC or otherwise) and later transfer the booking to a TA, is there no deadline at all for that transfer after you book (other than that the transfer take place before final payment)? In other words, you don't have to transfer within x days or months of booking?

Right, just do it before final payment. Unlike Celebrity, who has a more strict time limit.

I've booked with both TA and HAL, and my Hal PCC can't be beat for service. She's been easy to contact, given me pricing options, and has obtained amenities when special sales occur after booking. She has sent me bon voyage messages both by post and phone. When I return she makes sure I get on board credit for my next cruise. I will return to her for further bookings.

We use our PCC exclusively when booking all of our HAL cruises and don't feel it's right to transfer to a TA just before final payment. Sure, the PCC gets credit for the initial booking, but not as much as they would have gotten after final payment. But then again we book as soon as the HAL cruise we want becomes available and then make changes to it as promotions come and go over the next 18-24 months and usually have 3-4 HAL cruises booked at any one time. We just don't think it's fair that our PCC does all the work and only gets credit for the initial booking. But that's just us.

It also comes down to how much control you want to maintain with regards to your booking. By staying with our PCC, we get any HAL upgrade/upsell offers sent directly to us rather than having them sent to the TA. In addition, as was the case on our last cruise, we were able to get an upsell at a significantly reduced cost from what was listed on the upsell email because our PCC knew someone.

As far as OBC goes, we usually average between $800 - $1100 per cruise using our PCC which for us is plenty.

Edited by Ken the cruiser

We use our PCC exclusively when booking all of our HAL cruises and don't feel it's right to transfer to a TA just before final payment. Sure, the PCC gets credit for the initial booking, but not as much as they would have gotten after final payment. But then again we book as soon as the HAL cruise we want becomes available and then make changes to it as promotions come and go over the next 18-24 months and usually have 3-4 HAL cruises booked at any one time. We just don't think it's fair that our PCC does all the work and only gets credit for the initial booking. But that's just us.

It also comes down to how much control you want to maintain with regards to your booking. By staying with our PCC, we get any HAL upgrade/upsell offers sent directly to us rather than having them sent to the TA. In addition, as was the case on our last cruise, we were able to get an upsell at a significantly reduced cost from what was listed on the upsell email because our PCC knew someone.

As far as OBC goes, we usually average between $800 - $1100 per cruise using our PCC which for us is plenty.

I'm curious as to the difference in credit for a cruise transferred to a TA and a cruise that isn't transferred.

Very frustrated with my PCC. Have sent several emails about three cruises I am interested in and no response. She has been emailing me every few weeks about working with her directly and anytime I email her I get no response or a generic response that is computer generated. I have called and left messages but nothing. She is in the office so I don't get it. Would love to build a relationship with a PCC or TA and work with them directly but appears I am stuck with a dud. Really unfamiliar with researching a good TA. :(

I'm curious as to the difference in credit for a cruise transferred to a TA and a cruise that isn't transferred.

My PCC has told me several times that they receive the same "credit" whether the cruise is transferred or not.

Very frustrated with my PCC. Have sent several emails about three cruises I am interested in and no response. She has been emailing me every few weeks about working with her directly and anytime I email her I get no response or a generic response that is computer generated. I have called and left messages but nothing. She is in the office so I don't get it. Would love to build a relationship with a PCC or TA and work with them directly but appears I am stuck with a dud. Really unfamiliar with researching a good TA. :(

You can call and have a different PCC assigned to you. It is an easy process.

I asked our Oceania PCC once if it would impact her booking credit monetarily speaking if we transferred the booking to a TA after initially booking a cruise with her to get the early booking Oceania perks? She said she would still get some monitory credit for booking the cruise, but not as much as if she managed the booking through final payment.

I'll have to ask my HAL PCC that question, but we still prefer working with our HAL PCC for the other reasons I mentioned earlier.

Please let us know what you learn.

I don't really want to adversely affect the PCC but neither do I wish to forgo the 10% discount.

If I book direct with HAL, I call general reservations and get excellent service - no need to wait for a PCC to call you back. I have booked with a PCC but it seems they always have to call you back. Any questions I have after a booking direct with HAL or online, I get answered at the general reservations number.

Just my personal preference.

I don't really want to adversely affect the PCC but neither do I wish to forgo the 10% discount.

Our PCC is on vacation right now, so I won't be talking with her for at least a week. However, my best suggestion is for you to ask your PCC and see what he or she says.

I feel disappointed in my PCC after reading these posts. He is cordial, pleasant, responsive, always makes sure someone else covers his clients when he is away, but he has never made me aware of any upsell, special promotions, etc. I'm a 4 star mariner, have more than 20 cruises on HAL and have been with this same PCC for over 10 years. Am I not asking the right questions?

He/she might be checking and just not saying anything if no better deal pops up. Our PCC does check each time I speak on the phone. He looks for our current sailing and future ones. He knows our spend history, probably in more detail than we expect, and factors that into whether moving on or off a given promotion would make sense; i.e. Explore4 or Anniversary promotion.

I considered doing the switch to TA thing , and I guess we are leaving money and miles on the table, but we will stay with our PCC. We are satisfied with the service and overall experience. I just don't feel like trying to find that 'great' TA people keep mentioning.

Dennis

I just don't feel like trying to find that 'great' TA people keep mentioning.

Dennis

That's definitely an issue for me, especially since people can't name TAs on here and recommend folks. Hard to get that great personal reference. Plus, I'm very much into wanting to have control over my booking, and I know that having a TA might be irritating to me on that score. :)

I want to thank everyone for all the info they've provided in response to my questions. Now, if HAL would just release the rest of the 2018 transatlantics .... :)

I talked with our HAL PCC and here is what I found out. Let's say a PCC has an annual quota to book $2 million worth of cruises. When you initially book your cruise, and let's say your total booking came to $20,000, that gross sum gets added to their annual quota count and does not get removed if the booking is later cancelled or transferred to a TA. However, there is also a commission tied to that booking. Simply put, a HAL PCC only gets a commission on a cruise once it is fully paid for. Yes, they get a base salary of which the annual quota plays a big part in, but the commission is where the PCC makes the real money.

Now if you ask a PCC if they mind if you transfer your cruise to a TA, the politically correct answer is "no problem" as they want your future business with regards to their annual quota. However, don't kid yourself. Closing the deal and getting the commission on the complete sale is the ultimate goal.

Edited by Ken the cruiser

I feel disappointed in my PCC after reading these posts. He is cordial, pleasant, responsive, always makes sure someone else covers his clients when he is away, but he has never made me aware of any upsell, special promotions, etc. I'm a 4 star mariner, have more than 20 cruises on HAL and have been with this same PCC for over 10 years. Am I not asking the right questions?

My PCC does not make me aware of any promotions, either. I think that one has to do that on one's own. Since CC'ers are good about posting about new promos, like the current View & Verandah Sale thread, I am alerted to the fact that there is a new promotion and will check my pricing accordingly. If I find it to be a good deal for me, then I will ask my PCC to check it out and let me know if it's as good a deal as I think it is (sometimes, one loses some perks already in place). She provides me with a what I have now and what I would have if I took the new promo and leaves it up to me to decide whether or not to go for it.

As for upsells, I tell her (when I left the booking with her) what my limit is. If she gets something close to my limit (even if over my limit but not by much), she'll contact me to decide for myself.

Have you actually told your PCC that you might be interested in upsells? If not, you should do so. Then he can be on the look out for you.