A New Radiance Class Please

Alan13

Was hoping someone else would comment and we see many of the same thoughts we have.

I guess we are a dying breed: We cruise to see the world. All the new toys that they are rolling out are within 5 feet of where I sit right now. And cost me nothing.

I prefer the smaller ships without all the amusemen park amenities.

I too prefer the Radiance class ships, but also like the Freedom and Navigator as two of my favorite ships. Have not been on the Oasis or Allure, but don't care if I do. While I am sure they are impressive, I want to be in touch with the sea. I love all the glass, but the glass eliminates those revenue generating balconies that all the ships have to have now. If you don't have a balcony, you rarely see the ocean. That is what is missing from the larger ones. I couldn't imagine going to Alaska on anything but the Radiance class.

It's like going to a baseball game and sitting in the skybox....while it is a treat, it lacks the real feel of being at a game. The sounds, the smells, the excitement. Plenty of theme parks and resorts give you what the Oasis has.

They will not build intimate anymore, but let's hope the Radiance class stays around for a long time.

Radiance class is the smallest ship I will sail on, but I prefer ships with a Royal Promenade. Waited to book our Norway cruise until a Voyager class sailed there. Oh and since I do like amusement parks even at 65 ( was at Dorney Park last week) amusements are ok with me. I live on an island with ocean all around me, so I can get that fix anytime.

Radiance class is the smallest ship I will sail on, but I prefer ships with a Royal Promenade. Waited to book our Norway cruise until a Voyager class sailed there. Oh and since I do like amusement parks even at 65 ( was at Dorney Park last week) amusements are ok with me. I live on an island with ocean all around me, so I can get that fix anytime.

Alternately, there are some who are very much land-locked with nothing but desert all around them so the ocean cruise experience is a fix we don't get very often and appreciate it immensely when we do. ;)

I don't feel that the life of smaller ships is over....there will always be itineraries that need the smaller ships for entry into the ports there.

I wish all cruise lines would be more creative in the development of itineraries. As much as I love the Caribbean (and I do), there must be other ports that can be considered to increase the value to go on a ship for a second or third time, beyond seeing the same places (even though there are multiple excursions available in each port of call).

Great post... The smaller ships are definitely here to stay. Proof in point are Oceana, Azamara, Regent, Crytsal and other luxury lines who's passengers pay 4 times RCL cruise prices to fill a 1000 passenger ship. You can see in my signature I love all types of RCL ships, large and small, fortunate enough to have tried them all. I'm going on my least favorite class of ship in 3 weeks strictly for the one of a kind bucket-list itinerary that is no longer repeated after this Sept. Can't do this itinerary (sail into Kotor or Venice canal) on Oasis or Freedom Class for example. For those that want the bells and whistles I went on Oasis not liking my first day on board... turned out to be amazing in the end. I went for the ship. If you want bells and whistles you try and do everything... if you want peace and quiet there are TONS of places for that too.

Explorer, Vision, Rhapsody in Europe, Legend 11 day Southern Carib + out of Brisbaine, 11 Serendade to South Caribbean... I think RCL is trying but you're right regarding repetitive ports. But let's provide a solution... where else can RCL go visit that they haven't gone (or don't go regularily?). I think this might be more difficult than at first glance. Quantum/Jewel is visits Martinque the odd time, I would like to see ST Lucia much more regularily, Dominica also not offered much. The issue being how do you do these ports on only a 7 day? Much much easier to hit St Thomas, San Juan, Labadee, Cozumel over and over again.

I live on an island with ocean all around me, so I can get that fix anytime.

I grew up in Hawaii so I understand not *needing* the ocean fix but there is still something different about going outside and seeing nothing but water around you as far as you can see. At least for us, we feel like we really are away from it all.

Alternately, there are some who are very much land-locked with nothing but desert all around them so the ocean cruise experience is a fix we don't get very often and appreciate it immensely when we do. ;)

I live in the SW corner of New Mexico with 2 man made lakes 45 miles away.

Yes, I do need my ocean fix! Additionally, I have terrible juniper allergies (except for gin) and for my upcoming 14 days, I breathe pure saline air with no allergens or pollution, only beautiful clean air! Looking forward to my fix in 62 days on Indy!

Alan

Love the smaller ships ... and I'm not a huge fan of the Royal Promenade. I prefer to "see the sea".

I'm intrigued by the Quantum, however ... and I can't say that about the Oasis class. I will try a Quantum class ship before I do an Oasis one ... if only to experience the innovative entertainment.

But I will return to the Vision and Radiance class ships for most of my cruising ... it just seems more like cruising to me.

I agree that the Radiance Class are wonderful ships, we LOVED the Radiance when we sailed a few months ago. With that being said, we also love large ships, and are planning on sailing on either the Freedom Class or larger next year. Royal can't just give up on small ships, they would lose access to SO many ports!!! Maybe they eventually will build a smaller ship when the Radiance class begins to be retired in many years (maybe not as small as Radiance, but maybe not bigger than Voyager) to be like their ship to the see the destination. They can't just give up on the destination, so many people cruise for it!

While there's an appeal to having the biggest or the one with the most "stuff" the economics simply aren't there for a 4000 passenger ship on every route.

I'm hoping someone at RCL is currently thinking "How do we take some of the 'wow' we have on the Quantum class ships, apply it to a smaller platform, and still manage to make the economics work?

While there's an appeal to having the biggest or the one with the most "stuff" the economics simply aren't there for a 4000 passenger ship on every route.

I'm hoping someone at RCL is currently thinking "How do we take some of the 'wow' we have on the Quantum class ships, apply it to a smaller platform, and still manage to make the economics work?

Because the large ships simply can't go to some ports and those ports are not something that the cruise line wants to 'take off of their itineraries', I am sure that Royal is always discussing how to bring the 'new WOW factor' to the smaller ships. Lets remember those smaller ships began with their own 'WOW' factor.

We haven't sailed a Voyager Class but did the LOS in 2011, I am afraid except for the Ports, there wasn't much planned even during the long Sea days back to FT Lauderdale. The LOS was a beautiful ship, entertainment, staff were very very good, no problems, but it lacked activities during the long sea days returning to FT Lauderdale. I judge our cruises individually, so a less enjoyable one only means that ship didn't offer as much as others, but doesn't reflect on the cruise lines as a whole. We have sailed mostly RCCL three with Princess.

Most people like all the glass for viewing; what are your reasons for it being your least fav ship?

Like Bob said, I include no sun tanning in the Solarium... of course with the thought that Radiance is more of a "cold" weather ship (ie. Alaska, Baltics/Norway, etc) whereby you spend more time inside looking outside from the glass rather than being top deck.... from this POV the solarium on Radiance class is the best in the fleet. However regarding "all the glass" I personally don't spend my day on the elevator going up and down looking out at the sea! Other factors for me that make it least fave class:

• Smallest pool in the fleet for number of passengers
  • I feel a useless sports deck
  • No amenity whatsoever at the rear of the Windjammer/aft with the views on deck... should really be a bar back there like on the Celebrity M class ships
  • I find the deck 6 rear lounge area extremely dark and large with no views at all unless you sit away from the action at the very edges against the windows
  • Floor plan... decks 5 and 6 are not great for me... don't like the interior space of the pub (zero view, I may as well be at home in a bar)
  • Interestingly enough, I find the Vision class centrums brighter and more airy

I like Radiance class, I just happen to like the other classes a little better :D

My personal likes/preferance for various reasons in order are (1) Voyager (2) Oasis - a very close second (3) Vision (4) Freedom (5) Radiance.

I live in the SW corner of New Mexico with 2 man made lakes 45 miles away.

Yes, I do need my ocean fix! Additionally, I have terrible juniper allergies (except for gin) and for my upcoming 14 days, I breathe pure saline air with no allergens or pollution, only beautiful clean air! Looking forward to my fix in 62 days on Indy!

Alan

"Yes. We'll talk when you get there."

Edited by Bazzito