Russian Nesting Dolls

I looked back a few pages and didn't see this as a conversation. I'm sorry if this is a repeat. I have a friend that wants me to purchase her several stacking dolls while I'm in St. Petersburg. My question is does anybody know how much they cost? My husband would like us to only use cash in Russia so I'm trying to plan well. Thanks.

The ones that I bought for my granddaughter were around $100. They are medium to good quality. There are much cheaper ones in the souvenir shops, but once you look at the better ones you can tell the difference.

The cheap ones are "made in China". If you want high quality ones someplace like the Hermitage or St Catherine's Palace are a reputable place. Also believe it or not the ship will sell all sorts of souvenirs

I don't want nesting dolls made in China but also don't want to spend$100 for each of the granddaughters. Do you remember what they cost on the ship and I assume would be of reasonable quality? Anyone with experience either buying or pricing them?

Thanks for the suggestions. I had been looking on the internet and saw that there was a wide range in prices. My friend was going on this trip and had to cancel due to illness. She said the thing she really wanted was the nesting dolls for her daughters. I didn't know it was going to be so many variables when I told her I would buy them for her. I feel like the post before this one - I don't want China junk but don't want to spend a fortune either. I will check with my tour company, continue looking on the web and check out the ship gift shop. Thanks again for the suggestions. :)

If you are buying them for your grandchildren, I would go for the least expensive ones you can find. As was said, you can get a decent set for about $10 and no one in the states will know the difference. Yes, once you compare them to a much more expensive set, you can see which one's would cost more, but as cheap souvenirs, we found the inexpensive sets were nice and much appreciated by those we gave them to.

Just a few thoughts, try buying some of the sets in Tallinn. They have an equal number of sets and them seem to be a bit cheaper. Also, there was a shop at the cruise terminal that had some nice but inexpensive sets. Also, if you can, try to shop at one of the street vendors. You can bargain with them, specially if you are buying several items. Most of the tour companies don't like you to stop at these vendors, as they take you to their own souvenir shops, but you can get good buys if you are able to deal with them.

Cheers

Len

If you are buying them for your grandchildren, I would go for the least expensive ones you can find. As was said, you can get a decent set for about $10 and no one in the states will know the difference. Yes, once you compare them to a much more expensive set, you can see which one's would cost more, but as cheap souvenirs, we found the inexpensive sets were nice and much appreciated by those we gave them to.

Just a few thoughts, try buying some of the sets in Tallinn. They have an equal number of sets and them seem to be a bit cheaper. Also, there was a shop at the cruise terminal that had some nice but inexpensive sets. Also, if you can, try to shop at one of the street vendors. You can bargain with them, specially if you are buying several items. Most of the tour companies don't like you to stop at these vendors, as they take you to their own souvenir shops, but you can get good buys if you are able to deal with them.

Cheers

Len

Yes, Len is right, you can find very nice but inexpensive stuff with the street vendors, I bought a bunch of stuff for about $10 apiece. I bought a bunch of stuff, the Russian dolls with porcelain face, hands and feet, nesting dolls, wooden items, etc, the guy threw in a couple of extra items in the end! Made for lovely gifts and my family and friends were thrilled.

I agree that some of the best we found were not in Russia but in other Baltic countries.

However, wherever you consider buying, if you see ones that you like do not expect them to be available elsewhere. We saw beautiful Christmas themed ones in Helsinki and passed, assuming we would see the same or better in St. Petersburg. Never saw them again.

If you see what you like and the price is right, buy them. Same goes for amber if you are interested.

I wrote my tour company and will post their reply. I thought it was most helpful.

It’s true that these can very in price greatly depending on quality, but if you spend about 20-25 USD you can find something of solid quality. Of course they can also be much more expensive, into the hundreds of dollars, but a practical option is to spend about 20-25 USD. This is approximately 700 - 900 RUB. There will also be some for as low as 5-10 USD, but I’d say these would be cheaply made and not very nice.

I looked back a few pages and didn't see this as a conversation. I'm sorry if this is a repeat. I have a friend that wants me to purchase her several stacking dolls while I'm in St. Petersburg. My question is does anybody know how much they cost? My husband would like us to only use cash in Russia so I'm trying to plan well. Thanks.

From what I have been told. The ones are sent to couple of stores in Alaska.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Forums mobile app

I wrote my tour company and will post their reply. I thought it was most helpful.

It’s true that these can very in price greatly depending on quality, but if you spend about 20-25 USD you can find something of solid quality. Of course they can also be much more expensive, into the hundreds of dollars, but a practical option is to spend about 20-25 USD. This is approximately 700 - 900 RUB. There will also be some for as low as 5-10 USD, but I’d say these would be cheaply made and not very nice.

That's about what we spent last year. They had some very high quality items in the ship's store.

Thanks you - just the sort of information about price and quality that I wanted. I'm happy with paying this amount. I'm not good at haggling - feel the street vendor needs the money more than I do. What is a good souvenir for boys? I have one Grandson. The three girls will get dolls.

What is a good souvenir for boys? I have one Grandson. The three girls will get dolls.
Does your GS like sports? My then-17 YO son found - of all things - a New York Mets-themed set of nesting dolls in St. Petersburg. It's his favorite cruise souvenir. The shop had lots of other sports-themed nesting dolls. Our other son picked out one of those Cossack fur hats as his souvenir. And with the winter we just had, it came in handy.:D

What is a good souvenir for boys? I have one Grandson. The three girls will get dolls.

Depends on his age --for our 2-3 yr old grandson we got a wooden decorated ball that we purchased in the ship's shop. He loved it! Lots of nesting doll sets with different themes. Maybe a lacquer box --lots of lovely painted ones from $$ to $$$$$

Edited by Alaskanb

I don't want nesting dolls made in China but also don't want to spend$100 for each of the granddaughters. Do you remember what they cost on the ship and I assume would be of reasonable quality? Anyone with experience either buying or pricing them?

The ones on Princess were lovely and authentic and were very pricey. well over 100.00

Just do your homework before you go and you'll be fine.

We paid around $20 as I recall, in the shops at the cruise pier. The quality was just fine and we were happy. If you are there for two days, you will have time to do some comparison shopping. We got ours right before we got back on the ship on the second day.

These are handmade pieces of art. You get what you pay for.

Most stalls are selling low quality from China. Any dolls that have an odd theme...presidential leaders, sports, Winnie the Pooh..are definitely made in China. Russian artisans would never create a doll with these motifs.

The currency is Rubles.

I echo going to the museums. If you want a life lasting authentic souvenir, do some research and be comfortable spending some money.

If you just want a cheap gift go to Russia? Go on ebay!

NBC did a piece during the Olympics about the differences of prices on nesting dolls. They went out to a factory in the country where artisans still create the sets in the traditional way. Here is a link to that story:

http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/history-russian-nesting-dolls

Enjoy!