Would you book an oceanview cabin BELOW the water line?

cello56

If a cruise ship offered an oceanview cabin that was below the water line, would you be brave enough to book it? Imagine on a sunny day, you might see fish swimming by your window! It would be like those underwater observation windows in swimming pools. Of course this is just fantasy, and there is not really any of these in place. Just wondering ...

Personally, for me, I think the answer would be no!

Could be interesting in some ports (depending on the side) but for the most part you wouldn't see much while it was underway.

Also, I'm no shipwright but I doubt it's even feasible to build one like that in modern cruise ships. They have pretty huge baffles for the hull(s) that low.

If a cruise ship offered an oceanview cabin that was below the water line, would you be brave enough to book it? Imagine on a sunny day, you might see fish swimming by your window! It would be like those underwater observation windows in swimming pools. Of course this is just fantasy, and there is not really any of these in place. Just wondering ...

Been there done that.

We were cruising on the "Star Clipper" (four masted schooner) and our cabin was above the waterline UNTIL they opened the sails and the ship keeled to our side. I went to the cabin to get something and YES our porthole was underwater!!!! It was a strange sensation.

Could be interesting in some ports (depending on the side)

Ports are dirty areas. Trash falls off the dock, and bottom sediment is constantly being churned up by ships maneuvering in and out of the port. You wouldn't see much other than murky, muddy water, most likely with only discarded junk on the bottom barely visible through the cloudy water.

Edited by boogs

In January 2007 I had F1002 on Noordam - all the way forward, port side, main deck, just aft of the lower level of the theatre. The first day out we hit heavy seas , giving me green water over the window a number of times: interesting, but it would have gotten tiresome 24/7.

So, no - I would not book such a cabin.

Our good friends love booking river boats with a cabin right at the water line. They think is a very fun location when there's a storm and water splashes over the porthole.

We would not want this but some seem to enjoy.

LuLu

Our good friends love booking river boats with a cabin right at the water line. They think is a very fun location when there's a storm and water splashes over the porthole.

We would not want this but some seem to enjoy.

LuLu

This idea gives new meaning to the term "oceanview"!

Watch this youtube video. It gets interesting at the 1:25, 1:37 and 2:02 minute marks, the last includes an appropriate expletive!

Edited by boogs

Why stop there, get a balcony under the water line. :rolleyes:

Watch this youtube video. It gets interesting at the 1:25, 1:37 and 2:02 minute marks, the last includes an appropriate expletive!

Thanks for sharing that! It's one thing to have waves coming up that high, but to have the porthole leaking is a little discomforting.

Edited by TheInnocentAge

Our son dives from a catamaran out of Nassau that has a window in the bottom of one of the hulls in a stateroom. He says it's neat but remember the boat is mainly under sail in the waters of Bermuda. When they night dive they suspend a light to draw fish and locate to boat. Now THAT cabin I would like.