Never Hang Anything on the Fire Sprinkler!

Bisous3

Clearly you haven't read the original post. I DID correct the situation when I saw it and that's why the sprinklers went off in the first place! And the LAST THING I did was make an excuse!!

I was not attacking you personally. My response was directed at the post I quoted that said your daughter being fifteen was an automatic excuse for this instance of lack of thought--and by inference, any other. Was just questioning if that person felt that the parent should have any responsibility for their teen's actions, or as they (and many others) have suggested the ship should just write it off as an accident. Yes I know you didn't make any excuses which is why I was wondering why in some of the responses excuses were being made for you (and your daughter). And I thank you for not being one of the make-any-excuse-lie-if-you-have-to parents that some on here seem to think is the norm.

My college dorm had been built over a hundred years ago. I think the sprinkler system must have been one of the first invented (I don't know if it was installed at the time of construction, or put in after it was invented). Anyway, it's "triggering" mechanism was a wax disk that would melt in high heat. My time at college (in the 1980s) coincided with the apparent life span of these wax disks, and about once a semester someone's room would flood. The college would kind of shrug and explain that the student's parent's home owner's insurance should be used to replace damaged items, as it's in the housing contract that the college isn't responsible for any damage to personal belongings.

Looking back, it seems pretty crazy that the college didn't update their sprinkler systems en masse one summer.

This has popped up various times in different areas over the years btw and I felt I should share my favorite 'suggestion'.

"Why don't they just put a glass cover over the whole thing so people can't hang anything there....."

Ya know for some reason that comment doesn't surprise me at all. Oy vey!

Those are still out there. Replacing those systems is actually a major undertaking, as the pipes feeding them are not up to current codes for new builds in most cases. That means its not just replacing the heads, you have to rip out all of the pipes from the walls. Since they still work, they are grandfathered in, so no real incentive to do so.

Perhaps they could replace the disks, but not sure if that would be considered a refit, or if they could even find them in quantity.

My college dorm had been built over a hundred years ago. I think the sprinkler system must have been one of the first invented (I don't know if it was installed at the time of construction, or put in after it was invented). Anyway, it's "triggering" mechanism was a wax disk that would melt in high heat. My time at college (in the 1980s) coincided with the apparent life span of these wax disks, and about once a semester someone's room would flood. The college would kind of shrug and explain that the student's parent's home owner's insurance should be used to replace damaged items, as it's in the housing contract that the college isn't responsible for any damage to personal belongings.

Looking back, it seems pretty crazy that the college didn't update their sprinkler systems en masse one summer.

I can't say how many of these incidents I've had to deal with over the years. And I'm the guy who knows where the particular valve is located to turn off the water to any particular cabin, so I get called whenever it happens.

OP, don't worry, there won't be a bill or a banning. We've had cases where folks do the same thing as you, but instead of going for assistance, they run out and lock the door, waiting until the bridge gets the alarm, sends security to the cabin, and calls me to secure the water. Usually, by that time when the door is opened, there is a mini-tidal wave coming out. We will find the hanger on a shelf near the sprinkler, so we know what happened, but even in these cases it is just chalked up to "operator error", and if there are no cabins to move the miscreants to, then they get their punishment that way!

We had a fire/sprinkler incident at the other end of the building on the 5th floor...someone left something cooking and found other things to do for about an hour. Quite the adventure with the fire siren blaring, the intercom robot shouting 'THERE IS A FIRE IN THE BUILDING!!!' and two trucks and three engines in the parking lot. There was a Niagara Falls of water pouring out of the original apartment followed shortly by a follow-up from floors 4, 3, and 2. Took at least three weeks to dry it all out.

Agree. Every Cruise ship or hotel room we've ever stayed in has had one of these stickers (or similar) by each sprinkler head. I not sure how much more warning anyone would need.

http://cdn.compliancesigns.com/media/prohib-symbols-triangles/150/Fire-Sprinklers-Label-LABEL_PROHIB_90_150.gif

I do believe the OP said it was his 15 year old daughter who hung her top on it. 15 year olds by nature are going to challenge silly warnings. My kids were all amazed at how smart I became after they turned 21.

I can't say how many of these incidents I've had to deal with over the years. And I'm the guy who knows where the particular valve is located to turn off the water to any particular cabin, so I get called whenever it happens.

OP, don't worry, there won't be a bill or a banning. We've had cases where folks do the same thing as you, but instead of going for assistance, they run out and lock the door, waiting until the bridge gets the alarm, sends security to the cabin, and calls me to secure the water. Usually, by that time when the door is opened, there is a mini-tidal wave coming out. We will find the hanger on a shelf near the sprinkler, so we know what happened, but even in these cases it is just chalked up to "operator error", and if there are no cabins to move the miscreants to, then they get their punishment that way!

In some strange way it makes me feel better knowing I am not the only one who did this! I am still mortified..

Thinking back it was just like an episode of I Love Lucy... with the Italian guys in uniform helping to catch the water... laughing at me in their Italian accents.. "Leeeedy.... you know-a how many times-a this happen already?"

Now I can start to laugh a little but at the time I was about to cry, believe me!

It was not negligence. It wss a young girl who did not understand about sprinkler systems because no one ever told her about them, but why would they have? It is not something that most people ever think about. It is not real often people have easy access to one. You see them sometimes, but they are usually too high up to actually hang something on.

I am sure if the girl had ever had reason to be told never to hang anything on one, she would not have done it. I bet she will never hang anything else on one. Lesson learned, and I think this wss a good post for information. Now everyone knows what can happen and I hope it is a reason to now tell your kids about it. Then they will know.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on the Regal right now (and thank St Thomas for having 4G ATT service!). But I was looking at our sprinklers thinking about this thread. We have two sprinklers in our cabin. Neither have signs near them! Nothing saying not to hang anything. Not like hotels which always have the sign!

image.jpg.841593ab3ace41ac206936dde4bb86f6.jpg

I realize why the steward might have been annoyed but his behavior was unacceptable. It was not like your daughter hung it up to be malicious. She was just a 17 year old and made a mistake. Things happen and a cabin attendant needs to realize that. Also, as you noted, he didn't even have to do the work to clean up the cabin.

I would write it up on your review and also tell hotel management about it.

DON

I realize why the steward might have been annoyed but his behavior was unacceptable. It was not like your daughter hung it up to be malicious. She was just a 17 year old and made a mistake. Things happen and a cabin attendant needs to realize that. Also, as you noted, he didn't even have to do the work to clean up the cabin.

I would write it up on your review and also tell hotel management about it.

DON

Finally, someone who thought about this behavior as I did. Showing anger, as you described, is totally inappropriate. Maybe he already had a bad day and this event had taken away his own personal free time. They certainly do deserve their own "down time." I get it, but I would also report him. Perhaps some anger management is in order.

The cabin steward showing anger was not called for and had this been reported to the ship's higher ups would not have set well for the cabin steward. While they did clean up the room while he watched, he still is responsible for the cabin and may have had to answer to his supervisor. At the least he had to get the cabin ready for the new pax.

I'm on the Regal right now (and thank St Thomas for having 4G ATT service!). But I was looking at our sprinklers thinking about this thread. We have two sprinklers in our cabin. Neither have signs near them! Nothing saying not to hang anything. Not like hotels which always have the sign!

Thanks for posting. I for one thought I've seen the warning symbol in Cruise ship cabins. Good to know.

Edited by davekathy