How much weight do you usually gain on your cruise?

tbmrt

I have discovered that it is possible to go on a cruise and not gain any weight. For me, it's having no dessert at dinner, ordering some melon slices instead.

Although I do admit I have a hard time passing up on Princess' chocolate chocolate chip cookies which are usually available at the buffet :D

Our last cruise was a total of 26 days with 2 days prior in London and 2 days after in NY. I think I gained about 2 or 3 pounds. :D

I ate pretty much whatever I wanted, including desserts. We ate in the buffet so I was in control of portion size. I tried to take small portions of meat or poultry and then fill the rest of my plate with veggies and salads.

It was a port intensive cruise and we were doing a lot of walking on excursions so I think that made a big difference.

8 day cruise to Alaska gained 10. 10 day California coastal and we gained 0. The difference was the ports. We walked WAY more in the warmer/larger ports than small towns in Alaska. Ate what we wanted and drank what we wanted both times. That's what it's all about [emoji6]

About a 5-7 lb. weight gain on a 30-35 day cruise. But a good amount of that is fluid weight, and comes off within a few days of getting home.

I find that on a longer cruise everything slows down, including the desire to try all the different foods. I don't feel the need to try something today, because there's always tomorrow.

our very first 2 cruises which were 7 day cruises, I gained 10 pounds each week

ate everything in sight thinking it was a once in a lifetime. now after 12 cruises

even on a 14 day cruise I seem to gain nothing, with all walking, swimming, snorkeling etc. I am more active than at home

I don't gain anything and actually lost a couple on my last cruise. I am pretty active in port and do a little bit more exercising than I do in everyday life (taking the stairs, snorkeling, hiking...etc)

I definitely eat what I want, but if their are multiple things I want to try in the buffet, I just get sample sizes versus just piling things up on my plate. I also don't overdo it and stop eating when I am not longer hungry.

When we were young (20s and 30s) and primarily doing short (7 - 10 day) Caribbean cruises we would gain about 1 pound a day. Now, when we take long cruises (usually over a month) to more exotic places we gain no more than 5 pounds. The reason is that DW and I are DIY travelers and often walk miles on our port days while many others are just riding around in buses (with their noses pressed against the windows). And is the olden days we had spectacular midnight buffets every night of the cruise. Now, on longer cruises, there are few even awake after 11 pm :)

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I am not a foodie and using the stairs keeps excess weight off.

And using stairs also benefits one's health through exercise and also avoiding the germ laden atmosphere that often occurs in crowded elevators when one person is ill and starts coughing and sneezing. We now try to use the stairs (most of the time) on all of our cruises and our incidence of getting head colds and respiratory infections on cruises has dramatically dropped. We know this is anecdotal, but from a medical point of view it also makes good sense. One other side benefit is that it lessens the chances of being crushed or being run over by a crazed scooter driver. When one of those folks come flying into an elevator is is potentially very damaging to one's safety quotient.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

On a typical 14 day cruise, with 5 to 7 days pre cruise, & 5 to 7 post, & I usually lose 4 to 7 pounds. :) walking, 6 to 10 hours a day in port plus we haven't met a bell tower or dome that we didn't climb :)

Stairs instead of elevator too.

DH will usually gain about 4 pounds, but on sea days he does not do the stair climbing that I do.

I actually lost 7 pounds. Of course I had an aft cabin and did lots of walking because for some reason I would be at the front of the ship when I wanted to go to my cabin. So I would walk down the stairs and all the way down the long hallway to my cabin. Also ate in the MDR for dinner every night and at lunch really watched how much I ate and did not eat between meals. Not intentionally, just stayed so busy didn't want anything.:)