What's Best for a Daily Wallet? (Ladies)

BikiniBlonde

I'm sailing on Celebrity's Constellation this month.

I've read suggestions for a lanyard to keep travel documents handy when boarding.

And I've read suggestions for a small cross-body purse when in port, or a knapsack when carrying heavier loads, such as for beach visits.

What about onboard, though, when you are at the pool, shopping, eating ...

# Will I need to show my ID/key card for every drink I order? If I need to constantly have my ID out to pay or to access areas of the ship, then I need to keep it somewhere besides in my wallet with other cards. Where do you keep yours?

# Will I need to show my credit card to pay for anything onboard, once it's connected to my room account? What I mean is, can I charge purchases in all the stores onboard to my room?

# Will my 17-year-old be issued a card? Will he be able to eat by himself? For instance, if I'm by the pool and he wants to grab a bite, can he do this without me, with his own room key?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

You won't need anything onboard but your cruise card. I find a pocket very handy. You should not need other ID unless you are buying alcoholic beverages and look very young. But I always carry a small tote bag for my camera and Kindle.

Your teen will have his own card. Yes, he can eat by himself. He will not need it to eat, as most of the places he will find sustenance (buffet, burgers, pizza...) will be included. Are you going to allow him charging privileges? Set a daily limit? He will need it to buy sodas, unless you buy him a drinks package. Your card is your charge card for ship services/purchases. And your room key. It is also scanned when you leave the ship in port to indicate that you have left the ship. It is scanned again when you reboard, to indicate that you are back onboard. EM

At the pool, my cabin key is my bookmark for my book! I have a small tote to put book, sunscreen, comb, etc....in for trips to the pool or beach.

Everyone will get their own ship's card. Little children's card should be kept by the parent, as the child won't be going anywhere alone! Teens will need to carry their own card, if they want to be able to get in their cabin!!! Or, buy something....

I'm bringing a product from the direct sales company I'm a consultant with. It'll be great for the port days and our airline travel. I normally carry a large purse but don't want that for travel. Plus it's small enough that I can lock in the safe when I just need my sail and sign card.

Thanks for the information and suggestions. It's just what I needed to know.

Both my son and I have a beverage package, so we won't need to charge drinks to the room.

I plan to use a wallet I have that has a wrist strap. It's large enough for my phone (which functions as my camera and my kindle) and has both zippered and open pockets. I'm terrible about misplacing things, so I'll keep my card zipped up.

Ronda

When you go into a port for an excursion or just to walk around, you will most likely need a picture ID, often your driver's license. You can't always get back to the ship with just your ship's card because the port authorities want to see your official picture ID. Your ship's card does not have a picture on it. So when you leave your ship, you will need both your ship's card and that picture ID. Just saying.

Both my son and I have a beverage package, so we won't need to charge drinks to the room.

I plan to use a wallet I have that has a wrist strap. It's large enough for my phone (which functions as my camera and my kindle) and has both zippered and open pockets. I'm terrible about misplacing things, so I'll keep my card zipped up.

Ronda

I found a great small purse/bag that was perfect for traveling from LLBEAN. it was a durable, washable fabric and fit everything I needed to travel in and around Disney. I plan on bringing it on our first cruise this summer for our day trips. I'll try to find it online and post a link.

I used this on my cruise back in November and loved it! I loved it so much I plan on getting more in different colors. My iPhone 6 Plus fit it in beautifully, and best of all, it's an RFID wallet.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GSXM6DM?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Forgot to say, I put our passports in it also.

Edited by Debala715
adding info

Ronda

Sounds perfect. Have an excellent cruise!

What do people do when they go ride the slides? Do you just leave your stuff? It's just me and DH traveling so if we want to go together.... I've read they won't let you go down the slide with ANYTHING in your pocket but I'm assuming husband can keep our cruise cards on him?? I've found these forums to be so helpful with insight. We're first time cruisers and really have no idea. TIA

Ronda

That's exactly what I use. Small to pack so you can carry a couple in your suitcase if you feel like it.

Ronda,

You and son will still need your sea-cards; that's how they know you DO have the beverage pkg. And if you carry your card next to your phone-camera, it WILL become demagnetized necessitating an inconvenient trip to the Front Desk for a new card (and a scolding). Just saying. I tested this and it is in fact true and not just something to shift the blame!

After several cruises where I kept carrying my cruise card in a little purse all over the boast, I gave in and just use a lanyard. You not only need the card to "buy" drinks, you need it to get into your room.

I also suggest that you contact the cruise line to put a $ limit on your son's card. And make sure he can't use it to buy alcohol.

Just put on the lanyard, put on your sunglasses and you're good to go all over the ship

Ronda,

You and son will still need your sea-cards; that's how they know you DO have the beverage pkg. And if you carry your card next to your phone-camera, it WILL become demagnetized necessitating an inconvenient trip to the Front Desk for a new card (and a scolding). Just saying. I tested this and it is in fact true and not just something to shift the blame!

Is there some way of stopping it demagnetizing? I plan on having my phone and card in the one small cross body bag so I'm hands free. Don't like the idea of lanyards.

Is there some way of stopping it demagnetizing? I plan on having my phone and card in the one small cross body bag so I'm hands free. Don't like the idea of lanyards.

Mrs.Cookie:

I am not even sure what it is about the phone that DM's the card! Even in airplane mode (no wifi/signal and no phone ringing), and rarely ON at all (only if taking pics of the ship)(otherwise sleeping), it was happening. So I can only suggest that you change your plans and find another place for the card -- either a pocket on the other side than your bag, or one of these:

name-tag-holders-with-clip-i12.jpg

That you can clip somewhere handy but inconspicuous. Actually, if you can find one like this you could have the Front Desk triple-punch your card to make a long connected slot and forsake the little envelope.

It's possible that one of the RFID blocking card sheaths that you can get on Amazon or eBay would stop it, but as I said -- don't know what part of CELL PHONE is the problem! But really, I can't emphasize too much what a pain it is to have to go get a new card "cut" when you are tired from being ashore, or need to use the WC or change clothes for dinner...

Z

Edited by crystalspin

• 3 weeks later...

Embarkation can feel a bit frantic, and I like the idea of something to keep everything together, but I don't think a lanyard is the best choice.

I have a flat black "documents" pouch that AAA gave me years ago when I booked a cruise with them. It's slightly larger than a mailing envelope, has several "pockets" and closes with velcro. I'd declare it perfect -- IF it included a wrist strap.

What you need to keep in mind:

- First you'll enter the terminal and will be "processed" there. You'll need to show your documents and the credit card upon which you'll be making charges during the trip. They'll take your picture and hand you your ship ID in the terminal.

- If you're like me and have arrived early, you'll probably have to wait between check in and boading. DO NOT pack away your ship ID. Once you start moving towards the ship, you'll have to put your ID through a machine that'll officially "bing" and log you onto the ship. If you pack away your ship ID and have to fiddle for it, you'll hold up the line.

- From that point on, every time you board or disembark the ship (for an island stop or for home), you'll put your ship ID through the machine, and it'll log you on or off.

As for island stops, my husband always brings a day pack and I always bring a tote bag. Then we bring just one ashore. If we're walking around town, his pack is better. If we're doing a beach day, my tote bag is better. Regardless, we never keep money or ID of any type in our bags; we prefer to keep those items on our persons. We typically split up our money between us.

Yes, as other people said, do expect to show your ship ID every time you order a drink (or make any purchase) onboard. You should always have your ship ID with you; after all, it's your room key. You can leave all your other cards in your cabin (and a bunch of them can stay at home).

Yes, your son will have a card, but his will look slightly different -- perhaps a different color scheme. Upon check in you can decide whether he's allowed to charge or not.

At the pool, my cabin key is my bookmark for my book! I have a small tote to put book, sunscreen, comb, etc....in for trips to the pool or beach.

Everyone will get their own ship's card. Little children's card should be kept by the parent, as the child won't be going anywhere alone! Teens will need to carry their own card, if they want to be able to get in their cabin!!! Or, buy something....

I didn't even think about my 7 year old getting a card, but I guess that makes sense for getting off and on the ship at ports. Will he need it for anything on the ship? He most definitely will not be getting charging ability, 1. he won't be alone and 2. I could imagine my arcade bill! Lol

The "purse" or "back pack" issue is something to consider when you are out on excursions, especially in any areas prone to pick-pockets. Someone from CC introduced me to the Safepac brand of purses and bags. They have both women and men's styles. There are a lot of safety features built in. I got my purse from Amazon when it was on sale but there are other places you can order them from.

I usually just keep my room card in my pocket (or my husband's if I'm wearing something with no pockets). Some people use a lanyard for their key card, but I'm not into wearing one. That card is both your key card for your room and your credit card, so keep it with you always. You will not need your credit card once you check in. They will issue your 17-yr-old his own card, which he will use for entrance to the room and for a credit card too. Your card is also scanned for each drink or other purchase and also to get on and off the ship.

I take a vera bradley little cross body bag and a travelon RFID wallet and it all fits in nicely with room for other stuff liek phone, sunscreen, sunglasses. I just use that one bag for on board and in port so I don't have to change it around a lot. I don't know how to add pics in the body? So, hopefully they are attached.

crossbody.jpg.b19ba2251675360fd69a67de7e188190.jpg

k2-_c726b5cf-ac3b-4f81-b93c-0e140b2c2e8f_v1.jpg.c049b213e35407c34e880f99d04af3fe.jpg