Poll: Would You Cruise to Cuba?

Editor Gina

If U.S. cruise ships started calling in Cuba, would you go?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. If U.S. cruise ships started calling in Cuba, would you go?

• Yes, in a heartbeat.
    • Yes, I'd consider.
    • Maybe, it's too soon to tell.
    • No, I don't have the desire.

I would, but not at a premium price, which will be the case to begin. I would wait until things settle down a bit. Puerto Rico is pretty much the same, just more developed. Politically, I support the end to the insane embargo and the insane influence of the Cuban exiles. In the mean time, there is always Viet Nam, China, Russia, even North Korea, Iran, Iraq and all the rest of the world which are not blocked for Americans. That makes sense?

Hi all!

This is Gina, the associate editor here at Cruise Critic HQ, and we're trying to get an idea of who would cruise to Cuba. We'd love for you to chime in on the poll, below.

If U.S. cruise ships started calling in Cuba, would you go?

- Yes, in a heartbeat.

- Yes, I'd consider.

- Maybe, it's too soon to tell.

- No, I don't have the desire.

Additional comments are welcome!

Thanks,

Gina

Where is the poll???

I'm curious. How big was the ship you were on and how up-to-date was the port infrastructure? Would the port accommodate one of today's mainstream cruise ships?

Hi, I cruised on the MS Gemini with Happy Cruises, which no longer run. We moored up right in the centre of Havana. I believe some UK cruise lines also do the same.

I'm curious. How big was the ship you were on and how up-to-date was the port infrastructure? Would the port accommodate one of today's mainstream cruise ships?

I'll be there next month on Thomson Dream. This ship will be quayside, not moored off-shore. About 48,000 tonnes, 1500 pax. I think the port can accommodate larger.

You can probably guess which way I'd vote ;)

JB :)

We thought about going this winter, with Thomson, because I'm not a Caribbean fan whereas OH loves snorkelling anywhere hot; sailing into Cuba would give me something other than the usual islands to see, and I enjoyed the only Thomson cruise we've taken more than some highly rated cruise lines.

Have just arrived in USA from Sydney en route for Louis Cristal (celestyal) cruise ex Havana on 5 Jan 15. Original reason for booking was to see it before USA takes over. Was so pleased to see the start of easing of restrictions for the benefit of cuba's economy, and also confirmation that the following year might even be too late to see the living museum that is Cuba first hand. If it lives up to expectations, would gladly go again via a usa port rather than circuitous route via Mexico or elsewhere. (something like 35 hours travelling time just to get to Havana from Sydney)

I have no doubt that every cruise line that sails in the Caribbean has at least one file drawer stuffed with possible itineraries that would include Cuba.

Do I approve of everything that the government of Cuba does or believes? Most certainly not. But, do those of us who book cruises that include ports in China or Russia prevent us from enjoying such trips?

In my humble, unsophisticated political opinion, the increasing tourist trade to both China and Russia has caused some changes within those great countries. My thinking is that Cuba will also experience such an experience if more tourism is allowed.

Been to the Caribbean on a cruise many years ago. The only thing that got me to go back was a crewed yacht charter with some friends a few years back. The thought of Cuba does internet me. But, like Hawaii, a cruise would only scratch the surface of a multi-layered experience. Cuba cries out "land trip."

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Cuba had 2.5 million tourists in 2010:confused: Just not US citizens. As an example, one Spanish hotel chain has 28 resort hotels in Cuba.

That's actually not true.

A great many Americans legally visit Cuba each year. There are so many exemptions available that if one really wants to go, they usually can qualify for one or another study group, etc...... My congregation offered a group visit and had the dates worked for us, DH and I certainly would have gone.