Laundry

buffy24

Has anyone ever purchased some kind of soap and washed some of their own clothes in their room? I'm mostly thinking of undergarments, but my husband does have some quick dry clothes that he used when he went to Korea and Japan. He'd wash them at night, hang them up and they would be dry by morning. Just curious if anyone has any experience with this.

Usually I bring some Woolite for our more delicate items. But on our last cruise, when we were sorting clothing to do a load of laundry in the self-service laundry room on our deck, I realized I forgot to bring the Woolite, so I used regular soap. There's a line you can use in the shower stall.

We brought along the fragrance free Purex sheets for the washing machine.

Have hand wash a few items to minimize packing. Additionally it just so happens that I have a BS Degree in Textile Science. No need to pack extra items such as detergent and or fabric softener.

A drop or two of hair shampoo in the water will work just as well. Also a drop or two of hair conditioner in the rinse water will work as a fabric softener.

After washing/rinsing roll the item(s) in a clean dry towel to remove excess water and assist it drying it faster. If necessary the next morning hang the item on the back of bathroom door so that the steam from your shower will remove winkles.

Edited by xxoocruiser

Has anyone ever purchased some kind of soap and washed some of their own clothes in their room? I'm mostly thinking of undergarments, but my husband does have some quick dry clothes that he used when he went to Korea and Japan. He'd wash them at night, hang them up and they would be dry by morning. Just curious if anyone has any experience with this.

There's a clothesline that extends across the shower in every cabin I've been in on a variety of cruise lines so I imagine lots of people have handwashed clothes of some kind. I know I have, especially my husband's compression socks. But I don't bring soap. As others have said, use a little shampoo. I also bring a shamu cloth to help wring the moisture out. And I've even used the hair dryer to help dry them.

But mostly I use the ship's laundry for our clothes.

Edited by NMLady

I do it every trip. Woolite works well, as does a bit of shampoo or body wash. I like Dr. Bronners soap. There are dry soap sheets that work ok. They're easy to pack.

http://www.backpacktravelstore.com/Travelon_Travel_Laundry_Soap_Sheets_p/grtrvlnlssh.htm?gclid=COzytJiXmsMCFZGCaQodEosAXA

I just bought one of these: http://thescrubba.com/

It works really well. I've found the clothes I've washed in it, mostly workout clothes, get cleaner than handwashing, and my hands don't get pruned from constantly being in the sink full of water. I thought it was a little expensive, but it works as advertised.

Also, a big fan of these clothes lines from REI.

http://www.rei.com/product/804639/rei-clothesline

The suction cups don't work well, but the velcro loops are great for attaching to points in the shower/bathroom in a cruise cabin.

We send a bag of laundry out on the ship. Royal doesn't have self-laundry, and even with that, I've washed a few item in the sink with shampoo and then I take a towel and tightly roll the item in the towel to get the excess water out as well as possible. We have a balcony so I use clothes pins to hang the item on the back of a chair. If you don't have a balcony, you can hang it from the line in the shower. It really has to be thin to dry overnight on the line. I don't like having things hanging up when we leave the cabin in the mornings. I like to have the cabin and the balcony all neat and tidy when we leave for breakfast so it has to be something that will be dry and ready to put away.

Doing laundry is always part of my travel plans. I carry the little packet of the soap leaves. When I'm doing my evening bathroom routine, I have a few minutes set aside for laundry. I do some undies, and I have some quick dry shirts and pants that I'll do.