Plastic Poncho or do I need an actual waterproof jacket?

niklynn1

Leaving for Alaskan cruise in 2 weeks and trying to tackle the packing list.

Do people wear cheap plastic ponchos at all, or do I need an actual waterproof rain jacket?

I am intending to be prepared with "layers" as so many have suggested, but my only jacket that is water resistant is too bulky and heavy to bring I think. My lighter jackets are not waterproof, but I think would be warm enough over a fleece layer, which I have plenty of.

So, what are your thoughts on packing a few of the cheap disposable ponchos for rainy excursions and such?

I hate to spring for new coats that we likely won't wear again, unless not having them will really negatively impact our enjoyment of the trip.

Thanks!

Plastic ponchos are great. We use them all the time in Alaska. They fold up, and don't take up much space in a suitcase or tote and they do a great job of cutting the wind and keeping us warm. We have the reusable kind, not the really cheap plastic that is only good for one use.

This is pretty much a personal decision. I wouldn't wear one of the ponchos but that is us. The one good thing about a good water resistant rain jacket is that it is also wind resistant and that can be a big plus if you are out on deck (either on the ship or on an excursion) and should be something to consider. The ponchos aren't really going to do much good in the wind.

It's never rainy in Iowa unless it's also really cold...?

Personally I'd suggest hitting Amazon for a cheap waterproof packable - there are always multiple options for about $20, just check the current reviews to see which ones are well-rated at the moment.

Breathable pricey coats are of course the best, but unless you are outdoorsy and live somewhere where it's wet a lot their payback over cheaper non-breathables can take forever - your worst case is being rained on while you're not inside the ship, an excursion boat, bus, or train in Alaska, you don't need to worry about days on end of constant rain with no chance to dry out.

It's never rainy in Iowa unless it's also really cold...?

Personally I'd suggest hitting Amazon for a cheap waterproof packable - there are always multiple options for about $20, just check the current reviews to see which ones are well-rated at the moment.

Breathable pricey coats are of course the best, but unless you are outdoorsy and live somewhere where it's wet a lot their payback over cheaper non-breathables can take forever - your worst case is being rained on while you're not inside the ship, an excursion boat, bus, or train in Alaska, you don't need to worry about days on end of constant rain with no chance to dry out.

I have several different jackets already, but the waterproof ones are either heavier than I think I need for this trip, or too dressy. The lightweight raincoat I wear here in Iowa when it's wet, but not super cold is more of a dressy trench coat type coat, which is not really appropriate for being on a whale watching boat and such. I just don't want to buy a coat that I don't really need.

Poncho's as part of a larger wardrobe works, comes down to comfort, cost, need.

I live in the NW and have goretex, come from the desert than cheap poncho and layers of fleece is a better choice, YMMV

Leaving for Alaskan cruise in 2 weeks and trying to tackle the packing list.

Do people wear cheap plastic ponchos at all, or do I need an actual waterproof rain jacket?

I am intending to be prepared with "layers" as so many have suggested, but my only jacket that is water resistant is too bulky and heavy to bring I think. My lighter jackets are not waterproof, but I think would be warm enough over a fleece layer, which I have plenty of.

So, what are your thoughts on packing a few of the cheap disposable ponchos for rainy excursions and such?

I hate to spring for new coats that we likely won't wear again, unless not having them will really negatively impact our enjoyment of the trip.

Thanks!

When it rains it will also be windy and may be cold. I have a waterproof light weight jacket and rain pants. I carry them with me if I think it is going to rain. They also help keep me warm in Glacier Bay.

I have seen tourists in Ketchikan running from the ship to the nearby shops in the rain wearing blowing flimsy ponchos and flip flops. They will pick up some trinkets and quickly get back to the ship and hopefully they won't have to stand in line to get back onboard.

When I go to Alaska I want to be able to enjoy my trip without worrying about getting cold and wet. One day in Glacier Bay I sat on a padded deck chair on the aft enjoying the glaciers. When I got up out of the chair I noticed the chair was soaking wet. Was I ever glad I had on my rain pants. I had no idea. The chair looked fine to me when I sat down.

If you go with a poncho take a sturdy one. The throw aways might work in Hawaii's rain forest but not in Alaska's rain forest!

Have a wonderful trip.

Go with the poncho...chances are you may not need it as they've had a very mild winter..I wouldn't want to overpack with something you may not actually need. We usually have the poncho with us but they have never been taken out of their bag.

May and June are some of the driest months there, so you shouldn't see too much rain. I'd make sure to pack something that's windproof, wouldn't worry so much about it being waterproof.

Ponchos are cheap and they are waterproof. However, they do blow in the wind and they also do not breath which means that if you exert yourself or it is warm and raining, you will sweat excessively.

You need to decide what will work depending upon what your are planning to do. The only thing that I would not use is an umbrella as it is a pain to carry, blows out in the wind, and tends to stick people in the eye as you walk past.

DON

I can't seeing spending money on GOOD raingear if you think you'll never wear it. And given that you're leaving in 2 weeks, it's too late to order cheap rain gear like driducks anyway.

At least you're travelling during the driest time frame historically. Those $1 throw-away ponchos are fine for a sports event but I'd suggest something a little better for travelling. I bought a TOTES poncho a few years back that I really love for travelling. It cost about $6-$7. It stays in my daypack and travels with me wherever I go.

The bonus to a poncho is that it keeps your daypack dry as well ... along with your camera, wallets, and whatever else is packed.

p.s. be sure to pack ski hat/headband and gloves if you have glacier viewing or boating on your itinerary

Edited by mapleleaves

I have several different jackets already, but the waterproof ones are either heavier than I think I need for this trip, or too dressy. The lightweight raincoat I wear here in Iowa when it's wet, but not super cold is more of a dressy trench coat type coat, which is not really appropriate for being on a whale watching boat and such. I just don't want to buy a coat that I don't really need.

I think that is the bottom line. Until you need it, you're not going to buy it. So go and try to get by with your plastic poncho. And if you find you need something more, buy it there. And if you don't need it at home, donate it to someone who does.

We are disembarking the Golden Princess right now after spending the last ten days in Alaska. It was sunny and warm every day on shore, wish we packed a few more pairs of shorts. Our fleece jackets came in handy while on the top decks though. The locals say it hasn't rained for a few weeks.

We are disembarking the Golden Princess right now after spending the last ten days in Alaska. It was sunny and warm every day on shore, wish we packed a few more pairs of shorts. Our fleece jackets came in handy while on the top decks though. The locals say it hasn't rained for a few weeks.

Glad to hear you had great weather! I hope it holds out for us in a couple of weeks!

I hope so too! The last two times we've gone in September and it has been cool and damp. This year we're going the end of June, keeping fingers crossed!!!!

Several years ago we traveled throughout Alaska with wildlife/glacier day cruises out of Whittier and Seward. We bought Gore-Rex rain jackets, rain hats,pants, gloves, and shoes. Also wool socks. Columbia convertible pants, quick dry Columbia shirts, and fleece jacket. We took two weights of Capilene long underwear. Even in August many days were cold and rainy. Dressing in layers is imperative. The weather can change on a dime. This kind of apparel is not cheap but well worth it in the long run. We are going on an Alaskan cruise in September and I'll be pulling out and packing my "Alaska Wear".

Edited by HLGW60

This is only my limited experience.

I've been on three SE Alaska cruises so far. All 7 day round trips. Two from Seattle, one from Vancouver.

Before my first cruise, in 2010, I scoured this board for advice. I was so concerned about rainwear and even looked at some Gore-Tex. But living in Arizona, I just couldn't bring myself to spend the money on something I thought I'd never use again.

Well, I'm glad I didn't! It was warm and sunny the entire time on my cruise. I actually had convinced myself how nice it would be to come back to the ship from an excursion all soaked to the bone, take a nice hot shower, and lounge in the cabin in my bathrobe. But I couldn't even do it because it never rained!

On my other two cruises, it was drizzling lightly one day in Juneau, but I was fine with my "water-resistant" jacket. And it rained one night while on ship. On the other cruise, I was complaining that I was sunburned!

I still look forward to the day that I can come back on ship all soaked to the bone and take that nice long shower. Maybe this year?

So, this year I'll bring a poncho, and an umbrella, but I'm not going to worry about it any more than that.

Edited by cavecreekguy

Yeah, I agree with the buy-the-poncho opinions expressed here. I live in Oregon and I know a little bit about rain gear:). I've been to Southeast twice, once on a big ship cruise, and once, doing extensive hiking and kayaking from a small ship. Even then, I did not need rain pants, long underwear, etc. It's a temperate rain forest, so it's probably going to rain while you are there, but not to the extent that you need to invest in top-of-the-line Goretex rainwear. Granted a plastic poncho (or an umbrella) is not much fun or useful in sideways rain and wind. But chances are you won't have to worry about that! Have fun!

I suppose everyone can report different experiences based on the weather conditions during their visits and how cold natured they are. We did a lot of hiking and day cruises to Prince William Sound and Kenai Fjords National Park. If you think you will only be exposed for a short while then I suppose you could get get by with just a poncho. However, I still advise layering.

DH will bring his golf rain suit and I bought rain pants and a Northface waterproof jacket. Hats and gloves will be packed as well we have fleece hoodies and will layer as needed. I would rather have them with me and NOT need them than to need them and NOT have them with me! We're on for 10 days with whale watching, float plane, etc so figure we will be prepared whatever the weather!

A plastic poncho in Alaska or on a cruise ship with wind is absolutely, 100% useless. However, there is no need to invest in an expensive Goretex jacket, the patent on Goretex expired a few years ago and there are many inexpensive waterproof jackets which are made of the generic Goretex. Check Cabelas, Pro Bass, LL Bean, REI and alike, you should be able to come up with a waterproof, breathable shell for nicely under the $100 price point. I picked up a Goretex shell for Dudette at Cabelas in OR on our way to AZ this fall .... it was exactly what she needed for AZ:rolleyes:, for $99.

The hubby and I live in TX where we rarely get rain. Think 10 year drought at this point. But I bought the hubby a 'real' raincoat from Amazon. And he loves it. We don't need it often but it'll last forever. I got him a $15 pair of FrogTogs waterproof pants that have come in handy a few times. You can find quality raincoats for $75-$100 that will last 5-10 years.

I took Frog Togs ($20 for both pants and jacket) last trip to Alaska and loved having it when it rained the whole day in Juneu. I was on deck of the whale watching boat while others stayed inside. Light weight, reusable, cheap. Not cute though. You just pull them over your cloths.

I just about froze myself during a glacier tour of Prince William Sound out of Whittier. On my next trip I am definitely packing my Dale of Norway wool sweater gloves, and ear warmers in addition to my Goretex rain jacket which I mentioned in another post. It gets the coldest when you are on the water and near glaciers.We took the park shuttle bus in Denali to Wonder Lake and I don't remember it being too cold there in August. It was chilly in the morning but we took off our sweater/jacket as the day progressed. I think you should always go prepared for rain. A backpack is your traveling friend!