book now or wait

sweettweety

Checking for our air for cruise in October 19 leaving from South Hampton, England.

The air fare I see on Air Canada, return from Vancouver YVR - London LHR is $1022 CAD per person.

Oct. 16 YVR to LHR

Oct. 30 LHR to YVR

Both of these flights are non stop and right now there are still showing lots of seats available, but at what price point should we pull the trigger?

There is a summer sale on now, do we wait for a fall seat sale and hope it covers those dates?

Thanks.

If you're like me,, no matter what decision I make,, it's wrong.

If I buy now, the prices will drop. If I wait,, the prices will go up.

What would I do? If I like the price, I like the seat selections, I like the current timetables,,,,, I buy now and never look at price again.

However, if you're talking flights for October 2014??? I can only imagine prices going up as seats start selling. Myself, I would have bought the seats in Nov. or Dec. last year. Heck, there may only be 2 seats available at the current price you are seeing. Doesn't matter if the seating chart shows 100 seats left. 50 of those could be taken up by a group,,, just not assigned yet.

Edited by klfrodo

If you're like me,, no matter what decision I make,, it's wrong.

If I buy now, the prices will drop. If I wait,, the prices will go up.

What would I do? If I like the price, I like the seat selections, I like the current timetables,,,,, I buy now and never look at price again.

However, if you're talking flights for October 2014??? I can only imagine prices going up as seats start selling. Myself, I would have bought the seats in Nov. or Dec. last year. Heck, there may only be 2 seats available at the current price you are seeing. Doesn't matter if the seating chart shows 100 seats left. 50 of those could be taken up by a group,,, just not assigned yet.

LOL, we must be related. I booked our flights for late September as soon as I could book both ways - BC out and economy return to keep the cost down (at least we get MCE on AA for a bit of extra legroom). If I'd waited until today to fly on AC I could have saved a bundle, but the flight times weren't good - life is full of tradeoffs.

OP, if you think that $1k is a fair price, buy now and don't check again (I only check to see if I can get a BC upgrade for a decent price, so far, no and likely to stay that way).

Vancouver YVR - London LHR is $1022 CAD per person.

at what price point should we pull the trigger?

do we wait for a fall seat sale and hope it covers those dates?

1. IME, that is a reasonable fare for a round trip transatlantic flight during shoulder season.

2. At the price you feel comfortable with.

3. No one can tell you A) if there will be a fall sale, B) if any such sale would cover those dates, C) how many seats would be available in such a sale, so the answer to your question is, What are your plans if there is NOT a sale and the going rates at that point are HIGHER than $1022? Could you pay a higher price? If not, would you be willing to pay whatever the cancellation fee is for your cruise at that point?

My little flow chart for deciding when to buy airline tickets:

Are you willing and able to pay more if you wait and the price goes up instead of down?

If yes, feel free to wait, as you don't mind paying more if it comes to that.

If no, then:

Are you willing and able to pay the current rate?

If yes, buy now.

If no, you have no choice but to wait, just be sure to make note of the last possible date to cancel your cruise and get your money back, since that's what you'll be left with if the airline prices don't go down.

Can you do the air through the cruise line? We've used "their" air a few times now (but one way for TA's, not cruises in Europe) and "their" air has always been substantially less. And we've always gone over 4 to 10 days before sailing. I'd at least check into it.

Thank you everyone for your insights.

We will probably book today. The lowest sale price on Air Canada is $969 CAD but only for Mon - Wed. travel days only. The other concern we have is the poor review on the 777 plane with the added row and the tight seats (17 inches width) for the nearly 10 hours flight.

The cruise is leaving from Southampton, October 19 this year.

We checked with choice air but it does not have the non stop flights for our cruise date although they have it for the previous cruise which is a little bit higher than booking on Air Canada.

Thank you everyone for your insights.

We will probably book today. The lowest sale price on Air Canada is $969 CAD but only for Mon - Wed. travel days only. The other concern we have is the poor review on the 777 plane with the added row and the tight seats (17 inches width) for the nearly 10 hours flight.

Ah, yes, the sardine can...:D

If you're interested, British Airways has flights on your dates for $1080 - not that much more - on a 747. Can't say if it will be a lot more comfortable than AC, but an option.

Of course, on BA and now AC, you have the option of flying Premium Economy, but in both cases it doubles the price.

• 3 weeks later...

My best advice is to book in late fall for next late spring-early summer and jan-march for fall-winter flights. The best online is direct through airline websites with promo code you can google for and on a Wed after 12am-2am (that would be staying up late Tues. night.) This strategy works for me everytime...I can usually find return flights 150-300 less in price....depending on where I'm going.

Hello...we are cruising next May 3rd, and flying from JFK to Barcelona then back. Both delta and American have pricing of $1159 round trip as of today. On Delta, we can add Economy Comfort Seating for an additional, $69 per person each way.

Sounds decent even though this will only be our 2nd time ever flying so we are confused on a lot of things.

Delta will be flying an Airbus 330-300 each way. American will fly an older 777 plane. We do like the 2-4-2 seat arrangement on Delta, however, I haven't read many positive reviews about either airlines planes I just mentioned for comfort, leg room, etc.

We do have the option of flying out of Toronto for a bit less money, but, there are NO non-stop flights out of Toronto, however, flying British Airways gives us the option of flying on a 787-800 plane, 747-400, or, Airbus 380. But again, an hour or so layover at Heathrow each way.

Bottom line question...are we better off taking the non-stop out of JFK on Delta or American with their planes that haven't received high marks, or, even though flying out of Toronto means one stop each way, it might be better because of the higher reviews and comfort level of BA's 787, 747, or A-380?

Thanks for your help.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I forgot to ask what is a promo code? It was mentioned to go on Google to get the promo code. What domain type in on the search? And, is there a promo code for each airline, say Delta?

I forgot to ask what is a promo code? It was mentioned to go on Google to get the promo code. What domain type in on the search? And, is there a promo code for each airline, say Delta?

Just search- (airline) promo code - and you will get many sites that offer codes for different things. You can do this for anything, any name and add "promo code".

Thanks for the tip. It is a very difficult decision for us to make. Because of severe issues with my back, I am trying to determine what model plane with what airline can provide the most comfortable seat and most stretching room based on Economy, Economy Comfort and Economy Plus.

As much as we'd love to fly in Business or 1st class with a lot more room, that is out of our affordability range.

On Delta, we can add Economy Comfort Seating for an additional, $69 per person each way.

Delta will be flying an Airbus 330-300 each way. American will fly an older 777 plane. We do like the 2-4-2 seat arrangement on Delta, however, I haven't read many positive reviews about either airlines planes I just mentioned for comfort, leg room, etc.

however, flying British Airways gives us the option of flying on a 787-800 plane, 747-400, or, Airbus 380. But again, an hour or so layover at Heathrow each way.

Bottom line question...are we better off taking the non-stop out of JFK on Delta or American with their planes that haven't received high marks, or, even though flying out of Toronto means one stop each way, it might be better because of the higher reviews and comfort level of BA's 787, 747, or A-380?

Stop worrying so much about the type of aircraft you will potentially be on; the biggest differences as far as seat size/style/etc. from one to the next are in first/business. In coach, you won't find the differences to be significant enough to worry about, i.e. you really aren't going to find any reviews for any airline -in reference to coach seating- where people are singing their praises about how much room they had, LOL.

That said, I'd take the 2-4-2 seating on Delta in a heartbeat. There's a lot to be said for not having to worry about climbing over anyone (except each other) to get to the lavatory, or having anyone else climbing over you to do likewise. Plus, the economy comfort option will give you a couple more inches of legroom and a little more seat recline, which is very nice on a transatlantic flight, particularly on the way over when you're trying to sleep.

:)

Thanks again Waterbug...I think my OCD over this has finally dropped to a normal, sane level.

I also feel it's probably better to take the non-stop flight out of JFK versus the one stop flight each way out of Toronto, even if there is a $400-$600 savings out of Toronto.

I just have to decide on booking the flight now for next May 3rd, or wait till 6-months out like some have suggested since they said if a price drop were to occur, it's normally around 6-months out. But since there are only a handful of Economy Comfort seats on the Delta plane, I should probably just do it now, then move on to what we want to do in Barcelona for 3days before our cruise.

Thanks again for your help and patience with my repetitive questioning.

Dave

Those promo codes are in my experience just a way to get you to a web site that is NOT the providers. Very easy to land on the wrong site and then you are dealing with 3rd person tickets. Promo code is a come on! IMO you are better dealing directly with the provider and often cheaper also. Read the materials in the sticky on Cruise air and on 3rd party discount air fares. Learn from the masters here on CC. They truly give good advice. Thanks FlyerTalk and Globalizer.

Stop worrying so much about the type of aircraft you will potentially be on; the biggest differences as far as seat size/style/etc. from one to the next are in first/business. In coach, you won't find the differences to be significant enough to worry about, i.e. you really aren't going to find any reviews for any airline -in reference to coach seating- where people are singing their praises about how much room they had, LOL.

That said, I'd take the 2-4-2 seating on Delta in a heartbeat. There's a lot to be said for not having to worry about climbing over anyone (except each other) to get to the lavatory, or having anyone else climbing over you to do likewise. Plus, the economy comfort option will give you a couple more inches of legroom and a little more seat recline, which is very nice on a transatlantic flight, particularly on the way over when you're trying to sleep.

:)

Hi Dave. I have never gotten to the front of the plane -- I go too often to afford "bubbly" on my diet coke budget. I do think that Economy + for longer flights is well worth it (under $200 per person upgrade). Our trusted plan is economy + each side of the aisle in the middle set of 3 and pray like mad that no one takes the middle:p Works about half the time. Often if we get a seat mate it is a young solider on his way home and that too is joyous. (standby tickets at last minute fills all seats). Have also done the 2 side seats but HATE 3 with a window. Just as good if no 2 seaters left is 2 aisle seats across from one another -- you both have aisle access and you are still very close -- more convenient than having person between you in some ways.

Thanks for the tip. It is a very difficult decision for us to make. Because of severe issues with my back, I am trying to determine what model plane with what airline can provide the most comfortable seat and most stretching room based on Economy, Economy Comfort and Economy Plus.

As much as we'd love to fly in Business or 1st class with a lot more room, that is out of our affordability range.

Hi Dave: I take my own seat comfort items that essentially pad the seat. Together they work for me and are easy to carry. You have to find your own combo of things.

I have these http://www.amazon.com/Therm-a-Rest-Camp-Seat-Nautical-Blue/dp/B00AWQL5WY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1404487521&sr=8-4&keywords=thermarest+seat+cushion

http://www.amazon.com/Design-Travel-Lumbar-Support-Gray/dp/B0029ZGTOU/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1404487606&sr=8-11&keywords=lumbar+travel+pillow

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008FEZ814?psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/Microbead-Embroided-Stylish-Travel-Pillow/dp/B009VHP3EQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1404487706&sr=1-2&keywords=laura+ashley+neck+pillow

Hi Dave. I have never gotten to the front of the plane -- I go too often to afford "bubbly" on my diet coke budget. I do think that Economy + for longer flights is well worth it (under $200 per person upgrade). Our trusted plan is economy + each side of the aisle in the middle set of 3 and pray like mad that no one takes the middle:p Works about half the time. Often if we get a seat mate it is a young solider on his way home and that too is joyous. (standby tickets at last minute fills all seats). Have also done the 2 side seats but HATE 3 with a window. Just as good if no 2 seaters left is 2 aisle seats across from one another -- you both have aisle access and you are still very close -- more convenient than having person between you in some ways.

So agree--and love the analogy.

I think whatever airline we decide on, we have made up our mind to do a non-stop round trip, and, also do an aircraft that has a seat configuration with only 2-seats on either side of the isles compared to the 3-seat configuration.

Now, it's seeing who has more comfortable seats, more leg room, and what services for their Economy Comfort/Premium Economy sections, and, at what price for the upgrade. Obviously a lot depends on the model aircraft and what revisions and upgrades have already been made, and what upgrades might be made between now and our flight date at the end of April, 2015.

Bravo!! Nice to see someone who sees that there is more to an airline ticket than just the price.

As for seat comfort....IMO, that's pretty subjective and without that much differentiation in coach. Leg room (pitch) can be researched on sites such as Seat Guru and other similar websites. Services will vary from airline to airline.

One thing to remember is the difference between "Premium Economy" (such as you would find on Air France) and products such as "Economy Plus" (UA), "Economy Comfort" (DL) and "Main Cabin Extra" (AA). They are very different, with significant pricing differentials. One clue is to look at the seating - if you find fewer seats across per row, then it's most likely a "Premium Economy", while if you have the same as coach, it's usually the other type. (There may be exceptions to the generalization - please post if you are aware of any to expand my own knowledge.)

Yes, and after hours of careful research and planning, and then choosing the flights with your preferred seating months in advance, the airline will do an equipment swap the night before, and you will find yourself in a middle seat near the back of the plane.

True story.

Of course, you could get lucky as I did, and then take a bump to another airline entirely, and get paid enough money by the airline to take the bump that all your expenses while on your vacation were covered.