Tipping in speciality restaurants?

mtm103

Hi all

I have searched this but can't find an answer, and I am on the allure at the moment, how much do people tip in speciality or free restaurants, like coastal kitchen? Just had a meal for 2 in Izumi and tipped 30, and he looked slightly offended, should I have tipped more? And how about coastal kitchen where it is free?!! Thanks and sorry I have no clue!!!

Hi all

I have searched this but can't find an answer, and I am on the allure at the moment, how much do people tip in speciality or free restaurants, like coastal kitchen? Just had a meal for 2 in Izumi and tipped 30, and he looked slightly offended, should I have tipped more? And how about coastal kitchen where it is free?!! Thanks and sorry I have no clue!!!

Sounds like you over tipped to me.

Have no clue about Coastal Kitchen as we have not done that yet.

I never tipped in CK. I paid a lot of money for the OS and it was part of the deal. I did tip $20 at Giovanni's and did tip (can't recall amount) at Chef's Table, which was expensive anyway, but well worth it. I think we might have done $40 over at CT.

Your $30 was more than enough.

The tip is included in the fee you pay....don't forget that! If you feel you need to tip additionally, $5-10 is ample! Also, if you get drinks, the tip is added to that cost.....you really can't tip a percentage....because it's not an accurate factoring.

Edited by cb at sea

If you were a group of 2 at Izumi then that's roughly a $60 bill. Would you leave a 50% tip at a land based restaurant. That was a look of shock at your generosity.

Gratuities are included on the specialty restaurant fee however many do leave something extra but it is not required.

The tip at Specialty Restaurants are in the upcharge. We usually leave a little more, maybe $10-$20 depending on service. Same with Chef's Table. As for Coastal Kitchen, I assume they are part of the standard tip division. I always add for those who serve us if it is warranted (I think I've always added). But keep in mind you have already tipped.

Wow. His look was probably more shocked. Please please people look at and read your bill. Then tip accordingly based on service. We met a handful of people on our last cruise who didn't even realize a service charge was automatically added.

It was 30 U.S. dollars. Problem is for me when a restaurant is free or reduced in price, I never know whether I should tip what the meal would have been if I had paid full price. Thanks everyone for your replies most helpful

I have never been in CK, and I thought it was a free suite benefit. I wouldn't have thought to tip anything! Do most people tip extra in CK?

For specialty, if the service is very good, $5 pp is generous, imo. Some people don't tip anything, also fine, and some tip more and think it isn't enough.

In Chops our two meals were no cost to us as they were compliments of our travel agent. We had great service, fantastic filets, and thought that this would have been a $100 usd dinner for us in a land based restaurant.

So I tipped $20, representing 20%, the same as I do at home.

Hi all

Zero. It's included in the fee.

I have never been in CK, and I thought it was a free suite benefit. I wouldn't have thought to tip anything! Do most people tip extra in CK?

For specialty, if the service is very good, $5 pp is generous, imo. Some people don't tip anything, also fine, and some tip more and think it isn't enough.

It is a benefit. And I am sure that the staff is compensated. When we were in CK on Quantum, there was a few waiters. One waited on us most of the time and did a fantastic job. We tipped him an additionally at the end of the cruise. The other waiter only waited on us a couple of times, so we tipped him but not as much. We felt the service warranted it. They both did great, but the one waiter was a definite cut above. Again, I believe they are included in the tip pool.

Edited by papaflamingo