Nobody Wants The insurance Details

TOBY1965

Hello

Booked my parents (who are 84 and 83) on a 1 week cruise to the Norwegian Fjords in July with Princess Cruises.

Having checked the price with their online booking office £ 2,700 I decided to purchase the exact same cabin, date, ship and trip from an online travel agent based in Germany for £ 1,900.

No problems there but given their age and the fact my mother has a long history of medical conditions, I purchased their insurance at a cost of £ 350 for 1 week's cover.

Now the problem begins - there is no space on the online cruise organiser to enter their insurance policy details. Their UK office says this is because it was a travel agent booking and the holiday was booked through their American office but when I phone the USA Office they say it is nothing to do with them and was booked through Germany and because it was done through a travel agent , they can't access my details.

They also told me that this means it is not subject to the same stringent conditions that apply in the UK or USA regarding the pre-registering of insurance policy details and that all they need to do is turn up at the docks with the insurance documents and everything will be fine.

Any thoughts on this ? it does not sound very convincing to me.

Surely they (me) must have to pass the relevant details on to someone somewhere so they can be logged ? I have visions of them turning up on the Eavesway Coach at Southampton Docks and being told they can't board because they didn't pre-register their insurance details.

Thanks for any help / advice.

I don't think having insurance or not makes any difference to the cruise line! The insurance (if you have it) is a private contract between you and the insurance company. You don't have to have insurance at all to travel....as long as there is a policy somewhere, then should something insurable happen, you are covered.

Well I know it is compulsory on almost all cruise liners in the UK, including the one my parents are sailing with :-

Some cruise lines do require you to have travel insurance otherwise you won’t be able to sail. These are Cruise & Maritime, Cunard Line, Fred. Olsen Cruises, Holland America Line, Hurtigruten Cruises, Norwegian Cruise Line, P&O Cruises, Princess Cruises and Seabourn Cruise Line.

P&O and Cunard holidaymakers must have a minimum of £2 million cover for medical and repatriation costs before they can sail. “Most UK cruise lines have now made travel insurance mandatory,” says Carolyn Spencer Brown, editor-in-chief of Cruise Critic.

And that's from the editor-in-chief of this very forum site lol !

Edited by TOBY1965

If your cruise was booked through an American company then there is your answer. It is not mandatory here in the US to have travel insurance. So if they have the insurance then I would send them with a copy of the policy or the insurance card in case they are asked

Most US cruisers are not aware of how complicated the insurance issue can be across the pond. For British or European passengers who booked through a cruise line's or TA's UK/Europe office to embark from there, proof of insurance must be presented. Yes, that means medical evacuation insurance is required even for a Cunard transatlantic crossing. But many cruise lines will not allow you to purchase their insurance when booking certain fare categories or when booking after a certain number of days post final payment date, requiring finding a third party provider. And let's not forget that outside the US and Canada cancel for any reason coverage--when it even can be found--must be purchased only on the date of booking else the original deposit is not covered.

But I absolutely recall when discussing this issue with UK tablemates on one of my TAs that simply showing proof when boarding is more than adequate.

If your cruise was booked through an American company then there is your answer. It is not mandatory here in the US to have travel insurance. So if they have the insurance then I would send them with a copy of the policy or the insurance card in case they are asked

Well sorry but that is not an answer at all. As already stated, to board a cruise ship in the UK, you MUST have travel insurance, irrespective of where you live or where you booked the cruise from. It is compulsory for every passenger.

The editor in chief of this very site confirmed this when asked the question as I have quoted above. :)

Well sorry but that is not an answer at all. As already stated, to board a cruise ship in the UK, you MUST have travel insurance, irrespective of where you live or where you booked the cruise from. It is compulsory for every passenger.

The editor in chief of this very site confirmed this when asked the question as I have quoted above. :)

Good luck because the vast majority of Americans, wherever they cruise from do not have insurance, even if they leave from the UK, it is simply not necessary. I suspect that the difference has to do with the way health insurance is provided in the different countries. Finding a spot to enter the details in an online check-in form are not going to happen. If you feel that they must have insurance send the policy information with them when they board the ship.

Edited by zqvol

Are you able to confirm this rather surprising requirement: That EVERY passenger boarding a ship sailing from the UK must have travel insurance, the minimum coverage so required, and whether the cruise lines are aware of such requirement?

Not sure if this will confuse things further or be of help, but would like to cite a specific situation. We are US citizens. We have sailed on european cruises 2 to 3 times a year since we retired. Therefore we board in a european country and a regular basis. 3 of these cruises in the last 3 years have departed from an English port (Dover & South Hampton) in the event the country of boarding is an issue. We always arrange both our cruise bookings and our travel insurance through our US based TA who works for a US company.

We have never been required by a cruise line to have travel insurance.

Not sure if this is part of the question, but may be worth noting. My husband and a friend we have travelled with both had situations where they had to receive medical care prior to our boarding a European cruise (two different cruises). We all have our health insurance through the same entity and had travel insurance as well. My husband also had to have additional treatment on the ship from the ship's doctor. As we expected we had to pay at the time for services both onshore and on the ship, which was a negligible cost compared to US medical fees. Our US based insurance could not be used for payment. We were able to receive total reimbursement once we got home by submitting our receipts to our health insurance company plus the travel insurance company.

What im trying to get across to you is because it is booked through a US based agent, there is no spot to put the insurance information. When we do our online check in, it does not ask us for it, so neither will your parents. You are going to have to go back to the agency that booked it and find out what they want you to do about it.

Edited by deladypilot

Are you able to confirm this rather surprising requirement: That EVERY passenger boarding a ship sailing from the UK must have travel insurance, the minimum coverage so required, and whether the cruise lines are aware of such requirement?

I've no idea if every passenger sailing from the UK has to have travel insurance. But certainly cruise lines require passengers booking through their UK offices or through a UK travel agent to have insurance, though I'm not aware of any minimum coverage being stipulated. When you fill in your cruise personaliser in the UK, included in the required information is space to input the name of your insurer, the name of the company providing emergency assistance etc. It doesn't cause us any problems. Like many people in the UK, we choose to have annual travel insurance so we're covered all year round anyway.

I think the difference is that most Americans have very extensive private medical insurance as part of their normal lives , certainly those able to go on cruises , so you are automatically covered in most cases anyway.

Remember here in the UK, we have the National Health Service , Private Medical Insurance is rare rather than normal so we have to take out travel insurance when going on a cruise.

On previous cruises I have booked them on (all P&O ships) , there has always been a space on the online organiser where you MUST input the insurance details before you can print the boarding passes.

This may only relate to UK passengers travelling from a UK port , I don't know.

I was told by Princess Cruises that if I had paid an extra £ 700 to book with them direct, there would have been a space on the online form to enter the details.

They will take the policies with them for boarding and I have also forwarded pdf copies of the policy to the German travel agent who will forward them to Princess Cruises and contact me if anything else needs to be done.

I am sure everything will be fine, it is just frustrating not to be able to get a definitive answer as to the exact procedure to follow from the cruise company itself.

Like I said earlier and as cruise critic's editor in chief confirmed in an interview - P & O and Princess inisist that EVERY passenger has cruise insurance before boarding a cruise ship in a UK port.

Remember what Carolyn Spencer-Brown said :-

P&O and Cunard holidaymakers must have a minimum of £2 million cover for medical and repatriation costs before they can sail. “Most UK cruise lines have now made travel insurance mandatory,” says Carolyn Spencer Brown, editor-in-chief of Cruise Critic.

Edited by TOBY1965

Hello

Booked my parents (who are 84 and 83) on a 1 week cruise to the Norwegian Fjords in July with Princess Cruises.

Having checked the price with their online booking office £ 2,700 I decided to purchase the exact same cabin, date, ship and trip from an online travel agent based in Germany for £ 1,900.

No problems there but given their age and the fact my mother has a long history of medical conditions, I purchased their insurance at a cost of £ 350 for 1 week's cover.

Now the problem begins - there is no space on the online cruise organiser to enter their insurance policy details. Their UK office says this is because it was a travel agent booking and the holiday was booked through their American office but when I phone the USA Office they say it is nothing to do with them and was booked through Germany and because it was done through a travel agent , they can't access my details.

They also told me that this means it is not subject to the same stringent conditions that apply in the UK or USA regarding the pre-registering of insurance policy details and that all they need to do is turn up at the docks with the insurance documents and everything will be fine.

Any thoughts on this ? it does not sound very convincing to me.

Surely they (me) must have to pass the relevant details on to someone somewhere so they can be logged ? I have visions of them turning up on the Eavesway Coach at Southampton Docks and being told they can't board because they didn't pre-register their insurance details.

Thanks for any help / advice.

I think they are correct to just have all the insurance proof with you at the dock.

Even though most US policies do not cover outside the US, US citizens sailing from UK on those cruise lines do not have to have insurance and no questions are asked about it. If those with UK passports are asked, just show the proof.

Edited by NMLady

When I have booked through a UK agent, I was only asked if we had travel insurance. I said yes, we have an annual policy, and that was that. I was not asked for proof, or policy details at booking, boarding or any other time.

As long as your parents have their insurance information available in case they need to make a claim, they should not have any problem.

I hope they enjoy their cruise.

Thanks, I think the worry has come about from their experiences on P & O cruises, where , like I said, you have to input the policy number and insurance company name & telephone details on the online form before being allowed to print off boarding passes.

I think the difference is that most Americans have very extensive private medical insurance as part of their normal lives , certainly those able to go on cruises , so you are automatically covered in most cases anyway.

Remember here in the UK, we have the National Health Service , Private Medical Insurance is rare rather than normal so we have to take out travel insurance when going on a cruise.

/B]

Not necessarily true.

Most Americans are aware of the cost of medical care and therefore purchase insurance; many however choose to risk traveling without insurance. American Medicare does not cover you outside of the U.S., and a large number of private insurance is for coverage within the US only. Only certain policies cover outside of the country.

Have sailed from Southampton on a U.S. Passport and have never been asked for proof of insurance so I assume this rule does not apply to all passengers.

You are mistaken in your thinking

We as Canadians have a similar NHC as the UK

We do buy travel insurance (personal choice) but have never been asked to show it when embarking for a cruise starting in the UK or other European ports

Give your parents the insurance policy to take with them in case they need it

No problem

Sounds like another typical day in the UK then - there is a strict rule concerning travel insurance on cruise ships which makes it MANDATORY but nobody going around checking whether or not it is being complied with lol.

What im trying to get across to you is because it is booked through a US based agent, there is no spot to put the insurance information. When we do our online check in, it does not ask us for it, so neither will your parents. You are going to have to go back to the agency that booked it and find out what they want you to do about it.

He states that he booked through an online travel agent in GERMANY.

Thanks, I think the worry has come about from their experiences on P & O cruises, where , like I said, you have to input the policy number and insurance company name & telephone details on the online form before being allowed to print off boarding passes.

True,but the details don't have to be correct :eek:

On one cruise I filled in the wrong details by mistake and it did not make any difference, I was still allowed to board, it fact it was not even mentioned.

If there is no online form to fill in don't worry.

There is no legal requirement to have travel insurance. However, most cruise lines would refuse to carry you if you don't have it, because that would risk leaving them in the position of either (a) giving you expensive medical treatment in an emergency and not getting the money back; or (b) letting you die. They would choose (a), but they wouldn't like it.

All I have ever been asked for is the insurance company and the policy number. If your parents turn up with their insurance document with them, then P&O may ask for the info, and if so they will be able to give it. That's all.

There is no legal requirement to have travel insurance. However, most cruise lines would refuse to carry you if you don't have it, because that would risk leaving them in the position of either (a) giving you expensive medical treatment in an emergency and not getting the money back; or (b) letting you die. They would choose (a), but they wouldn't like it.

Seriously what a load of misinformation

Are you sure that A or B are the only options ;)

If you need treatment on the ship you will get it all costs are added to your shipboard account ...

If you cannot pay on disembarkation day you will be asked to sign an IOU of sorts

The cruise line will treat you & collect any monies ...not to worry

If you ashore you may or may not get treated unless you pay upfront

Travel insurance is a good thing to have but some people have an allergic reaction in buying it

Edited by LHT28

All I have ever been asked for is the insurance company and the policy number. If your parents turn up with their insurance document with them, then P&O may ask for the info, and if so they will be able to give it. That's all.

The fact is that I have never been asked about medical, evacuation or any other insurance (other than whether I wanted to buy some at the time of booking) upon reserving or boarding a cruise -- including several departing from British ports.

It is clear that TOBY 1965 misquoted the editor of this site in saying she stated that everyone, irrespective of where they lived or booked a sailing, had to have insurance.

I do happen to carry supplemental health insurance to pick up what Medicare does not cover, as well as medical evacuation insurance -- but I hate to see blatant misinformation posted on what is meant to be an informative site.

I do happen to carry supplemental health insurance to pick up what Medicare does not cover, as well as medical evacuation insurance -- but I hate to see blatant misinformation posted on what is meant to be an informative site.

I hope you also purchase medical coverage, as Medicare won't cover you out of the country. I agree, there is so much incorrect information on this thread, the entire thing should be pulled.

It is clear that TOBY 1965 misquoted the editor of this site in saying she stated that everyone, irrespective of where they lived or booked a sailing, had to have insurance.

Ermm pardon me but I didn't misquote her at all, I repeated what she said word for word here ;-

P&O and Cunard holidaymakers must have a minimum of £2 million cover for medical and repatriation costs before they can sail. “Most UK cruise lines have now made travel insurance mandatory,” says Carolyn Spencer Brown, editor-in-chief of Cruise Critic. “Although travellers don't have to purchase the cruise line's own product, they will have to show proof of cover.”

the original article the quotation came from is here :-

http://www.itij.com/feature/no-travel-cover-no-exit

What you are trying to suggest from your misquotation accusation is that ther are different sets of rules applicable to UK travellers and foreign travellers ? That is irrelevant as far as the UL cruise company is concerned, as stated in the quote "a holidaymaker" does not infer any nationality exemptions.

It may well be that P & O turn a blind eye in such cases , I don't know if they do or not but please check the facts before you accuse people of misquoting others with such fanfare "It is clear that" because I most certainly have not misquoted her.

Perhaps you would like her to ask her comment herself on what she meant exactly considering she is the editor-in-chief on this site ?

That's the easiest and quickest way to get the truth. She may well have been misquoted on the other website but until you ask, we won't know but I simply repeated what was said on there and attributed to her as a direct quote.

Edited by TOBY1965