storm headed to Florida - cancellations?

Gingee

Tropical Storm Erika

Updated August 27, 2015 - 5:30 PM EST

At Norwegian Cruise Line, the safety and security of our guests and crew is of the utmost importance. The company has been closely monitoring Tropical Storm Erika and will be adjusting itineraries for Norwegian Getaway, Norwegian Gem and Norwegian Sky, to ensure our guests have the best vacation experience possible.

Norwegian Getaway’s itinerary for her sailing departing on August 29 will now call in Cozumel, Mexico on Monday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Ocho Rios, Jamaica on Wednesday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.; and Nassau, Bahamas on Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Norwegian Gem’s itinerary for her sailing departing on August 29 will call on the Royal Naval Dockyard, Bermuda arriving on Monday at 8 am and remaining until Wednesday at 5 p.m.

Norwegian Sky’s itinerary for her sailing departing on August 28 will now call in Nassau, Bahamas on Saturday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Key West, Florida on Sunday from 12 p.m. to 7 p.m.

Edited by biker@sea

As Sail suggests, check with your cruiseline's website. I know that Princess usually will post any itinerary changes. It's usually best if traveling during hurricane season to always be prepared for changes from Western Caribbean to Eastern and vice versa. In other words, don't depend on any port for sure.

And even more important, it's another reason to make sure to get to your embarkation port at least a day early.

On the Disney website:

Travel Advisory

Tropical Weather Update

August 27, 2015

Disney Cruise Line is monitoring the current weather conditions and path of Tropical Storm Erika. At this time, we have made no changes to our itineraries. Should weather conditions change, we can alter the itinerary of our ships to ensure the safety and comfort of our Guests. We will also continue to update this website with any new information as it becomes necessary.

Hopefully, anyone flying to a departure port in the storm path is also actively monitoring their flights and not relying on updates from the airlines/Choice Air before taking action. Airlines will post for weather waivers on their web sites as soon as they know flights will be impacted - could be days in advance. Waiting to be informed may put you at the bottom of the change ladder - those who monitored themselves have already jumped on the plum changes...

Edited by slidergirl

If Miami and FLL airports are impacted, they could change embarkation port to Tampa or Canaveral. That happened to us on Volendam about October/November 2005. We were supposed to sail out of Port Everglades and the port and airports were all closed so they moved embarkation to Canaveral. A mad scramble to get different flights.

I realize that the question has come up to inquire what the cruise lines have announced in order to stay one step ahead of the professional weather guessers in the interest of safety.

But we have no idea if a storm is actually coming to Florida. Best that can be said at this hour is that there is roughly a 50% chance of tropical storm force winds reaching the Florida peninsula three and a half days from now. Odds of Erika actually reaching hurricane status even less, though slightly more than last week's storm that fizzled out in spite of all the Chicken Little TV Weather crews' efforts to send us scurrying to buy bottled water, batteries and plywood from their sponsors. The National Hurricane Center has made it clear that despite the five day and seven day "cones of probability" all over the media that there is no way to know if Erika will come near Florida until/unless she wobbles north of Hispaniola sometime late tomorrow.

Meanwhile those ships turning around Saturday morning in San Juan still expect to do so amidst a forecast of between four and eight inches of rain. And I've heard nothing of any flights there cancelled.

Edited by fishywood

If you are flying -- I would be more concerned about cancelled flights and not getting to the various embarkation ports.

I remember a few years ago when many ships did not get back to Florida on time -- arrived a day late -- those people had an extra day on the ship. The next group of passengers had a shorter cruise.

They are much more likely to change the itinerary than to cancel. As others have said, where they have the option in Florida they might change the port. The exact timing may mean everything.

I am just guessing, but I think the cruise ships would rather be out in the storm than in port. Explorer of the Seas got stuck in the corner at Bayonne NJ at the beginning of Sandy and they chose to ride the storm. We were on the cruise after that and there was a lot of damage to the guard windows/overhangs(?) on the pool deck as well as significant damage to the cars that parked at the pier which were hit by the storm surge.

I agree with others that if you are flying, I would bite the bullet, pay the change fee, and try to get an earlier flight while there may be some seats left from people who are cancelling non cruise trips.

I see there is a storm headed to Florida and north. I wonder if anyone has heard of any changes of ship itineraries?

Majesty of the Seas and Norwegian Sky, both who will be on a 3 night cruise and who would normally be in the Bahamas on Sunday, are currently scheduled to go to Key West on Sunday. That could change though, because the forecasted storm track just moved to the west, putting it more over the Keys.

At this point as others have stated, I would be most concerned, not only with what the cruise lines are doing, but the airlines are doing as well. Even if the storm is only a tropical depression I can easily see it affecting flights in a major way. Visibility can be greatly reduced and there can still be high winds with this storm that will certainly affect the airlines in both miami and Ft. Lauderdale.

Not to mention, this morning on Good Morning America they showed grocery shops in Florida who's shelves are already empty in preparation of this storm. People in Florida seem to be taking it seriously and as a vacationer and a traveler I would as well!

If one can fly in two days early rather than one, it might be worth considering. So far, only one departure time has been changed, and that appears to be moved forward a bit. Watch the weather, watch CC. and keep in touch with your cruise line. Most post everything on their website ASAP.

Driving in torrential downpours is exciting, to say the least. Leave a bit early and allow for a lot of slow going. Most of I-95 is not subject to flooding, but absolutely do not even think of driving into flood water on the road.

Keep in mind that airlines do not want their planes or crews stranded in a storm area. Same as for winter storms in snow country, airlines start cancelling flights before the first snowflake falls and even if the weather turns out to be not that bad, there is no flying because there are no planes.

I have no idea if airlines to the same with predicted tropical storms but I strongly suspect they might.

I haven't heard a recent weather update so don't know what the latest projection is.

Most important is for all to stay safe.

From the RCI website:

Tropical Weather Update

August 28, 2015

4:30 p.m. E.S.T

Royal Caribbean International continues to closely monitor the path and progress of Tropical Storm Erika to ensure guests enjoy safe and comfortable cruises, and to make certain our ships steer clear of the storm. The safety of our guests and crew is always our foremost concern.

Freedom of the Seas

Guests sailing on Freedom of the Seas are asked to arrive to the ship between 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. The ship will now depart at 3:30 p.m.

Independence of the Seas

Due to the current path of the storm, Independence of the Seas will now depart Port Everglades at 3:00 p.m. Check in and boarding will take place between 11:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m.

We encourage guests sailing on Enchantment of the Seas and Majesty of the Seas monitor this website for any additional updates.

If you have not done so already, we strongly suggest guests complete their online check-in as soon as possible, including the section on your preferred method of contact while traveling. You can access online check-in at http://www.royalcaribbean.com/onlinecheckin

Royal Caribbean will continue to closely monitor weather conditions and will update this information again tomorrow, August 29, 2015 at 5:00 p.m.

Hopefully, anyone flying to a departure port in the storm path is also actively monitoring their flights and not relying on updates from the airlines/Choice Air before taking action. Airlines will post for weather waivers on their web sites as soon as they know flights will be impacted - could be days in advance. Waiting to be informed may put you at the bottom of the change ladder - those who monitored themselves have already jumped on the plum changes...

Sometimes you are the windshield, sometimes you are the bug. [Mary Chapin Carpenter]

Let's say you have a planned departure from San Juan this Sunday, 7:00p.m. Those like me who prefer to fly a couple of days early would have found the San Juan airport closed yesterday and today, standing by for a flight tomorrow or Sunday. Those scheduled tomorrow Saturday might make it, might get bumped. Those scheduled to arrive Sunday a.m. might have the best shot at making their cruise with minimal hassle...

My co-worker in the cube next to me let out a "oh x**t" late this afternoon. Her second job is with the reservations center for Jet Blue. She just got a email alert that she could be working long and late hours this weekend. Then, she showed me the newest weather waiver news for Jet Blue (outside of all the ones for the Caribbean):

"Due to Tropical Storm Erika, we will waive change/cancel fees and fare differences for customers traveling on Sunday, August 30, 2015 and Monday, August 31, 2015 to/from the following cities:

· Nassau Bahamas (NAS)

· State of Florida

o Fort Lauderdale (FLL)

o Fort Myers (RSW)

o Jacksonville (JAX)

o Orlando (MCO)

o Sarasota (SRQ)

o Tampa (TPA)

o West Palm Beach (PBI)

Customers may rebook their flights for travel through Thursday, September 3, 2015 prior to the departure of their originally scheduled flight. Customers with cancelled flights may opt for a refund. Original travel must have been booked on or before Thursday, August 27, 2015.

To rebook travel or request a refund online, click here. If you are already checked in for your flight, go http://checkin.jetblue.com, find your itinerary and click on "Cancel Check-in".

Customers are encouraged to check the status of their flight online prior to leaving for the airport. Customers with web-enabled cell phones may check the status of their flight at mobile.jetblue.com ."

Any CCers heading back home from those airports, PLEASE keep an eye on your airline!

If you are flying -- I would be more concerned about cancelled flights and not getting to the various embarkation ports.

I remember a few years ago when many ships did not get back to Florida on time -- arrived a day late -- those people had an extra day on the ship. The next group of passengers had a shorter cruise.

That happened to me on my first cruise. The ship was slowed to half speed so it got back to Port Canaveral 12 hours late. We were detoured to Key West on the cruise too. Because all Carnival Sensation cruises were 3 or 4 nights to Nassau, the next cruise was canceled. We were on the edge of Hurricane Sandy.

Majesty of the Seas and Norwegian Sky, both who will be on a 3 night cruise and who would normally be in the Bahamas on Sunday, are currently scheduled to go to Key West on Sunday. That could change though, because the forecasted storm track just moved to the west, putting it more over the Keys.

Carnival fully expected to keep its Sensation itinerary up to embarkation day. It was not until the Nassau port closed hours before embarkation that anyone had a clue Key West would be the port of call.

The forecasted storm track is sometimes way off. Everybody expected Sandy to go east and make a landfall in Bermuda IIRC. We all know she never got close.

As time passes, the threat from Erika has become less and less with each update. The storm has pretty much fallen apart south of Cuba. It looks like the rains are going to bring us some heavier than normal rainfall here in the Forida panhandle, but that is no big deal.

Keep much of the advice in this thread in mind and use it to prepare for the next one that may threaten your booked cruise.

Edited by DocF
can't type

Tropical Storm Erika

Updated August 27, 2015 - 5:30 PM EST

At Norwegian Cruise Line, the safety and security of our guests and crew is of the utmost importance. The company has been closely monitoring Tropical Storm Erika and will be adjusting itineraries for Norwegian Getaway, Norwegian Gem and Norwegian Sky, to ensure our guests have the best vacation experience possible.

Norwegian Getaway’s itinerary for her sailing departing on August 29 will now call in Cozumel, Mexico on Monday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Ocho Rios, Jamaica on Wednesday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.; and Nassau, Bahamas on Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Norwegian Gem’s itinerary for her sailing departing on August 29 will call on the Royal Naval Dockyard, Bermuda arriving on Monday at 8 am and remaining until Wednesday at 5 p.m.

Norwegian Sky’s itinerary for her sailing departing on August 28 will now call in Nassau, Bahamas on Saturday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Key West, Florida on Sunday from 12 p.m. to 7 p.m.

UPDATE

Tropical Storm Erika

Updated August 29, 2015 - 9:00 AM EST

Norwegian Cruise Line continues to closely monitor the path of Tropical Storm Erika. Due to the westward track of the storm's path, Norwegian Gem and Norwegian Getaway will return to their originally scheduled itineraries. We continue to monitor the storm's movement and will share any further updates as they become available.