Do celebrity cruisers complain more?

maxsales

I basically monitor three threads, celebrity, Princess and royal Caribbean. In my entirely unscientific opinion people posting on the celebrity thread complain far more then on the other two. My imagination or do others notice this as well?

I admit that celebrity is our cruise line of choice, we have completed 17 cruises with them. Our most recent cruise on Equinox In February was as good or better then any before it. I don't see the cut backs and dismissed service that others are constantly posting about

I have read many, many " on day seventeen of our thirty day circumnavigation cruise the cabin steward failed to fill our ice bucket! This ruined the entire cruise for us and we won't sail celebrity again!" Type complaints which to me are making major mountains out of tiny molehills.

Does anyone else notice this trend? Or am I still wearing rose colored glasses when it comes to Celebrity?

I basically monitor three threads, celebrity, Princess and royal Caribbean. In my entirely unscientific opinion people posting on the celebrity thread complain far more then on the other two. My imagination or do others notice this as well?

I admit that celebrity is our cruise line of choice, we have completed 17 cruises with them. Our most recent cruise on Equinox In February was as good or better then any before it. I don't see the cut backs and dismissed service that others are constantly posting about

I have read many, many " on day seventeen of our thirty day circumnavigation cruise the cabin steward failed to fill our ice bucket! This ruined the entire cruise for us and we won't sail celebrity again!" Type complaints which to me are making major mountains out of tiny molehills.

Does anyone else notice this trend? Or am I still wearing rose colored glasses when it comes to Celebrity?

I agree that the Celebrity board are far more argumentative and complain more than Princess - dont know about RC. The reasons will of course vary, but they dont come across as a very happy bunch of cruisers. Funny, but, on our last X cruise, we heard no complaints and everyone was happy. Perhaps its the internet anonymity, but then the other boards should be the same. Maybe they do have something to gripe about after all.

I dont really like the direction X seems to want to go and my next cruise is on Princess, If theyre going to go the same way then I will simply go to a line that gives me what I want. Brand loyalty counts for nothing in X eyes , save for a few perks, so why should I be loyal to one line just to have a moan.

Now watch them have a go at me !!

Agree with OP. We have been very happy with Celebrity and I too feel as though the comments have gotten more & more negative. It was more fun to visit the board when the posts were more about sharing info and helping others than complaining.

So you're complaining about the complainers?

Maybe but my actual question is why do the folks on the celebrity roll call seem to complain more and complain about minor things?

We have sailed all three lines that I mentioned and enjoyed them. However, celebrity has always delivered the best experience.

I guess I'm one of the complainers.

We sail Celebrity and Princess. Always found pluses and minuses to both.

We did a B2B Celebrity then Princess this last winter and there was a marked difference. Celebrity seemed to have less staff because, while everyone was still pleasant, they seemed stressed and to be doing a lot of rushing.

When we got on the Princess ship the difference was HUGE. Staff were able to do their jobs and still have time to stop, talk, smile, etc. Just a really different atmosphere.

I also have found many more people on the Celebrity threads that can be mean and make (what I feel are unnecessary) nasty remarks to others. Never noticed that on the Princess board.

I don't know about others but the reason I post these complaints is in the hopes that someone from Celebrity is reading and that they see that passengers have noticed their attempt at cost cutting and make changes in the other direction.

Edited by chamima

I think Celebrity is undergoing some changes, and not all longtime Celebrity cruisers are happy about it. Of course, it's ridiculous to complain because the steward forgot to refill your ice bucket once, but it's another thing to notice that stateroom service has deteriorated over the years. We have had 6 very successful Celebrity cruises and loved them all, are booked on the Reflection in May and are very much looking forward to it. But I am a little concerned, won't be happy if we are bothered by loud techno music in the Martini Bar, poor bar or stateroom service, decreased food quality. We love the elegant atmosphere, low key entertainment and good service we are used to on Celebrity. Hopefully our expectations will be met once again, I don't think they are unreasonable. We have never once complained about a Celebrity cruise, let's hope this isn't the first time!

I agree that the Celebrity board are far more argumentative and complain more than Princess - dont know about RC. The reasons will of course vary, but they dont come across as a very happy bunch of cruisers. Funny, but, on our last X cruise, we heard no complaints and everyone was happy. Perhaps its the internet anonymity, but then the other boards should be the same. Maybe they do have something to gripe about after all.

I dont really like the direction X seems to want to go and my next cruise is on Princess, If theyre going to go the same way then I will simply go to a line that gives me what I want. Brand loyalty counts for nothing in X eyes , save for a few perks, so why should I be loyal to one line just to have a moan.

Now watch them have a go at me !!

Why invite 'them' (me ) to have a go at you? That is the type comment that stirs the pot. With 2 Celebrity sailings over the last 14 years, what type of loyalty benefit would be acceptable?

Our 1st Princess sailing was in 1992, our last was in 2012. Our 1st X was in 1993, our last was 2013, let alone a way better cruise experience. We hope you find what you want with Princess, since Carnival took over we have not.

Please do a post when you get back.

The forum is called Cruise Critic. It appears as if whenever someone has a complaint or criticizes a cruise line they get hammered or flamed because they had the gull to give their opinion or experience.

Some may seem trifle but that is how everything starts or gets changed. Give them a inch and they will take a mile. Look at how the dress code is being relaxed, and other little things that long time cruisers have experienced but have slowly vanished. The newer or first time cruises may not be aware of how things have changed and to them it may seem like complaints but it is observations.

The ice in the ice bucket may not seem like much and shouldn't ruin the cruise but the problem comes from the fact that it is described in the list of what is included in the cabin. When a cruise line does not give what is promised something is wrong.

The following is Copied from Celebrities site :

Veranda Features Service Dining Amenities Notes

Our signature friendly, personalized service with a guest to staff ratio of nearly 2:1

Twice daily service (makeup and turndown)

Daily ice service in stainless steel ice buckets

Edited by miched

I signed up for Cruise Critic when we started planning our Alaskan cruise for this June.

I have participated on many chat boards before and find this particular one to have a lot of very sad and angry people. Very much the glass half empty types. Most of these complaints are trivial.. a lot of times boards can take this sort of turn when they have poor moderation. I don't know if there are actually moderators here or if the board is self-moderating. Maybe that is the reason.

The forum is called Cruise Critic. It appears as if whenever someone has a complaint or criticizes a cruise line they get hammered or flamed because they had the gull to give their opinion or experience.

Some may seem trifle but that is how everything starts or gets changed. Give them a inch and they will take a mile. Look at how the dress code is being relaxed, and other little things that long time cruisers have experienced but have slowly vanished. The newer or first time cruises may not be aware of how things have changed and to them it may seem like complaints but it is observations.

The ice in the ice bucket may not seem like much and shouldn't ruin the cruise but the problem comes from the fact that it is described in the list of what is included in the cabin. When a cruise line does not give what is promised something is wrong.

The following is Copied from Celebrities site :

Veranda Features Service Dining Amenities Notes

Our signature friendly, personalized service with a guest to staff ratio of nearly 2:1

Twice daily service (makeup and turndown)

Daily ice service in stainless steel ice buckets

Again not the point. I am asking why the Celebrity forum has many more trivial complaints then Princess and Royal Caribbean. I am certain that a ice bucket or two gets missed on them as well it just doesn't become the end of the world.

I agree that constructive complaints can and should lead to resolution and improvement. However, many posts on the celebrity thread are about such trivial things.

Edited by maxsales

The complaints on this board lately are completely out of control. I don't ever remember seeing it so negative

I said this same thing on another thread. The complaints seemed to really amp up after the changes to the Captain's Club. It use to be that if someone (a newbie) came on and complained about something on their cruise, those Celebrity customers who had been on here for some time, would just bash them and tell them to go somewhere else if they didn't like Celebrity. Well, now the tide has turned, it seems to be the newer Celebrity cruisers who are posting the positive reviews and comments and the long-time cruisers are the ones that are upset with Celebrity and just about everything they do. If you notice, there are some on here that say everything is a cutback, when in fact many are just changes. I think it boils down to the Captain's Club changes that so some long-time cruisers were so, so unhappy with and now they are just looking for things to complain about.

The cut backs in the activity staff is one example. Many long-time cruisers are complaining even though they have no idea what Celebrity has in mind for activities in the future, but those not-so-long-time cruisers see it more as a positive move to bring more activities to the cruise line. Another example is the loudness of the music. Also, if someone says there was no problem on their cruise with the music volume levels, they are told (even those the second poster has no idea as to the sound level of the cruise) that they just didn't experience it on their cruise.

Thank goodness you don't see this type of complaining on the ships. Well, at least you only see it here and there, but not a lot of it. Anyone wanting to cruise Celebrity, but has concerns after reading some of the posts on here, should really experience the cruise line for yourself, because sometimes it isn't always as bad as the picture some people paint.

I wonder how some can lead their lives, when they always think that the glass is always 1/2 empty.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Seems to be in the past month or two........ I started researching for our first cruise back in december. I think I found these boards in January and started reading.

In february, partly do to all the posting on the celebrity boards I picked celebrity for our first cruise as a best fit. and joined up in march to start asking questions.

But had I come along the end of march and april and saw all the complaints and problems people were having I might have shied away from X and looked closer at the other cruise lines.

I try not too read so many posts these weeks as it was starting to be a downer a bit, and I was getting worried if we made the right pick. but then we snapped out of it - we are going on a cruise, it's gonna be fantastic!! :D

Edited by forceten

Why invite 'them' (me ) to have a go at you? That is the type comment that stirs the pot. With 2 Celebrity sailings over the last 14 years, what type of loyalty benefit would be acceptable?

Our 1st Princess sailing was in 1992, our last was in 2012. Our 1st X was in 1993, our last was 2013, let alone a way better cruise experience. We hope you find what you want with Princess, since Carnival took over we have not.

Please do a post when you get back.

There was a marked difference in style between my first and recent X cruise, and judging by these boards, the difference for me will get further away from what I want. I do not seek any loyalty benefit obviously because I havent any loyalty with 2 cruises. My Princess cruise will be my first, with the hope that it will be an improvement to what I want, if not I will move on. My point about loyalty was that there are those here who do nothing but complain rightly or wrongly about X, they should do the same as me and look for a line that will provide them with what they want, and not think that because they are loyal to X, they will be rewarded by getting what they want. . On the other thread the CD at a M&G said if you dont like it - find another line- so much for X loyalty. Times are changing, only the individual will determine whether changes are for the better. Whining because it doesnt go your way, no matter what loyalty points you have, wont make a jot of difference

As per usual, my post is now a point of discussion rather than the OP's original observation - hence the "have a go at me comment" just because I express an opinion which has been mis-interpreted.

I said this same thing on another thread. The complaints seemed to really amp up after the changes to the Captain's Club. It use to be that if someone (a newbie) came on and complained about something on their cruise, those Celebrity customers who had been on here for some time, would just bash them and tell them to go somewhere else if they didn't like Celebrity. Well, now the tide has turned, it seems to be the newer Celebrity cruisers who are posting the positive reviews and comments and the long-time cruisers are the ones that are upset with Celebrity and just about everything they do. If you notice, there are some on here that say everything is a cutback, when in fact many are just changes. I think it boils down to the Captain's Club changes that so some long-time cruisers were so, so unhappy with and now they are just looking for things to complain about.

The cut backs in the activity staff is one example. Many long-time cruisers are complaining even though they have no idea what Celebrity has in mind for activities in the future, but those not-so-long-time cruisers see it more as a positive move to bring more activities to the cruise line. Another example is the loudness of the music. Also, if someone says there was no problem on their cruise with the music volume levels, they are told (even those the second poster has no idea as to the sound level of the cruise) that they just didn't experience it on their cruise.

Thank goodness you don't see this type of complaining on the ships. Well, at least you only see it here and there, but not a lot of it. Anyone wanting to cruise Celebrity, but has concerns after reading some of the posts on here, should really experience the cruise line for yourself, because sometimes it isn't always as bad as the picture some people paint.

I wonder how some can lead their lives, when they always think that the glass is always 1/2 empty.

Nicely put. I, to, was thinking that the volume of trivial complaints has ramped up after the Captains club changes were made.

First of all, you're on a cruise, so you're already winning. Occasionally, something goes wrong. Probably 95% of the time it's something minor. A problem that can be remedied with a phone call. Several months ago, someone started a thread about the audacity of Celebrity replacing the pepper shakers with small pepper mills. He was incensed that Celebrity now expected him to grind his own pepper. The poster was so outraged that it took me a moment or two to realize he was being very tongue-in-cheek. The comments were the best entertainment I'd had in a long time!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Again not the point. I am asking why the Celebrity forum has many more trivial complaints then Princess and Royal Caribbean. I am certain that a ice bucket or two gets missed on them as well it just doesn't become the end of the world.

I agree that constructive complaints can and should lead to resolution and improvement. However, many posts on the celebrity thread are about such trivial things.

OK. You are right, I am wrong. You win again.

Happy Easter 🐰

Edited by miched

Maybe but my actual question is why do the folks on the celebrity roll call seem to complain more and complain about minor things? We have sailed all three lines that I mentioned and enjoyed them. However, celebrity has always delivered the best experience.

I think there are four major reasons why you see so many of the regular, or experienced Celebrity cruisers complaining. They feel slighted and don't understand why things aren't as they "used to be".

1.) The company is headed in a different direction than previously - to attract a different clientele base.

I understand their decision, and as a stockholder am not opposed to most of it. Gone (or going) are many things that used to be part of the cruise experience (only early or late seating, tableside service, dance hosts, bridge, large card rooms, large libraries, etc., to name a few).

New cruisers don't know what they are missing - it's all new to them! Just as many seasoned cruisers don't know what they are missing from 20 years ago on board a cruise ship or ocean liner, it's the same today, with new cruisers. You don't miss what you haven't had - it's all relative.

Celebrity is banking on the future with new clientele. They have done marketing research for years, and I trust, know what they are doing. Many seasoned cruisers are not happy with the changes, but also, many seasoned cruisers know how to do a cruise economically, and how to take short cuts with their budget.

I feel that experienced cruisers don't spend as much as new cruisers, on a whole, while on a ship. They don't buy all the extras like shore excursions, spa treatments, art auctions, photos, specialty dining, drinks, drink packages, etc. The newer generation seems to have more disposable income than the retirees who are living on more of a budget.

I can't tell you how many times I have walked thru lounges on ships to see them half empty, and to see that most of those sitting have no drinks on their tables unless it is from a beverage package. That does not make money for the cruise line. I think I understand Celebrity's marketing change, they know the demographics and what people spend.

I am Elite Plus with Celebrity and often visit the lounge set aside for us in the evening for complimentary cocktails and hors. During those hours, I rarely see anyone who is eligible for those benefits in any of the other lounges (with great views) buying drinks. They know the system and don't want to spend more money.

I have also met many cruisers who feel that they have paid $x amount of money to be on the ship and don't plan on spending a dime more. They are going to get their monies worth, and are entitled to it, not spending more. That is not the clientele that the cruise lines are looking for. Yes, they will help fill a ship so it does not sail empty, but they are not making any money from them.

2.) The economy has forced them to cut back in all areas of the business.

Unfortunately Carnival seems to be setting the standard of how to run a cruise line efficiently. They seem to have the lowest price to beat, and thus keep the other lines from raising their base fares to stay competitive. Every department, of every mass market cruise line, has looked at all areas in which they can cut back in order to stay competitive. From staffing, to food, to entertainment, to amenities, all cruise lines have made major cut backs in the past 5 years.

One of the most obvious of changes is the number of staff that has been cut back. Cabin attendants have many more cabins to clean than ever, wait staff have more tables and guests to make happy, wine sommeliers have more sections to cover, officers have more work on their plates because of staff cuts, and doing double duty, etc.

I feel bad for the employees because they are trying to do their best in making guests happy (somethng they take pride in doing) but their hands are tied and they have no controll over the situation, other than to be at the brunt of the complaints of unhappy guests. It's unfortunate, but not their fault.

Also, there have been many changes to existing ships and new builds. Prime real estate on ships has been reconfigured to maximize profits, and marketed as a benefit for the guest (think the "Emperor's New Clothes"). Everything from large dance floors, complete promenade decks, views, game rooms, movie theaters, are all being sacrificed for profit generating venues and marketed as a benefit for the guest. A perfect example is what RCI is doing to their Voyage Class ships, by adding new cabins on deck _, blocking the views of the ocean from the gym. Another perfect example is what Princess has done with their new ship - so long free steam & sauna, and a complete promenade deck.

3.) Necessary changes to the Captain's Club

Something had to be done to change the existing system because of the increasing number at the top levels. I don't want this to become a topic of complaints about the changes, so let's keep that for another thread please! Let's just say that the changes may not have been the best for some of the established Captain's Club members, and leave it at that. At any rate it increased the complaints about Celebrity, the topic at hand.

4.) People buck change.

People resist change, and when it happens, they complain, thus the increase in complaints on the Celebrity boards. You'll see many complaints on the Princess boards about their new builds and the direction that company is taking. I do not follow the HAL, NCL, or CCL boards, so don't know what the current topics of complaints are on those.

I have accepted the fact that the cruise industry is a business. I also accept the fact that the industry is in constant change. Their number one goal is to make money and keep their stock holders happy. The number two goal is to make the guest happy. I think most changes in the past 5 yrs are a result of that philosophy. All the mass market cruise lines are making many changes to stay competitive in this market.

These are the reasons I feel you see so many complaints on the Celebrity boards.

Edited by Ahhh

Complaints come from un-met expectations. My expectation for a cruise is a safe, clean ship that gets me where it is supposed to go. I expect decent service, decent food, the chance to get away from the stress of home, the cold weather, and maybe meet some interesting people. I DO NOT expect to be waited on hand and foot as though I was some king. I do not expect very busy workers to stop and chat with me, just as I would not expect this from workers in any other retail business. Trust me, there were a lot of days I did not smile at people with whom I interacted at work. But I tried to do my "job" which is all I expect of the crew. I figure I am on the ship, on the ocean, being served by others. If the music is too loud, then I can put on my earphones, or go sit somewhere else. If I am bothered by pool games, then I will go sit in a quiet spot on the upper deck. I also do not expect "banquet" type food, being prepared to serve over 2,000 people in a relatively short amount of time, to be of gourmet quality. But I did not have to shop for it, prepare it, serve it, and clean it up. So, what are your expectations. if they are consistently NOT MET, then perhaps you should spend your money somewhere else. That is my rant. Happy Easter.

Complaints come from un-met expectations. .

I don't disagree, but I think what we're starting to see here is complaints about heresay. They're not even on a cruise and they're complaining about things they've heard, cutbacks that they think might happen. Crazy! ;)

Complaints come from un-met expectations. My expectation for a cruise is a safe, clean ship that gets me where it is supposed to go. I expect decent service, decent food, the chance to get away from the stress of home, the cold weather, and maybe meet some interesting people. I DO NOT expect to be waited on hand and foot as though I was some king. I do not expect very busy workers to stop and chat with me, just as I would not expect this from workers in any other retail business. Trust me, there were a lot of days I did not smile at people with whom I interacted at work. But I tried to do my "job" which is all I expect of the crew. I figure I am on the ship, on the ocean, being served by others. If the music is too loud, then I can put on my earphones, or go sit somewhere else. If I am bothered by pool games, then I will go sit in a quiet spot on the upper deck. I also do not expect "banquet" type food, being prepared to serve over 2,000 people in a relatively short amount of time, to be of gourmet quality. But I did not have to shop for it, prepare it, serve it, and clean it up. So, what are your expectations. if they are consistently NOT MET, then perhaps you should spend your money somewhere else. That is my rant. Happy Easter.

Ditto!

I have posted my opinions -- both good and bad -- about different cruiselines and their current practices. There have been way more good reviews than bad ones from me, however and no bad ones about Celebrity except for the lack of maintenance on a recent Celebrity Century cruise. And...while I commented on the disrepair of the ship, I still gave the overall cruise experience a 4 out of 5 rating because of the excellent staff, food, entertainment and overall value....and I really had a great time.

While I have seen some slight cut backs here and there -- I don't think this was anything that negatively has affected my cruise. On thinking back to my first Celebrity cruise on the Mercury, I had an inside cabin on a 14 night Panama Canal cruise from San Diego to Fort Lauderdale back in 2000. The cost was $1499 + tax per person. I just booked a Panama Canal cruise for 2015 -- 17 nights from SF to Ft Lauderdale -- in a nice midship oceanview cabin for only $70 more per person. Really? Taxes are higher because the US no longer controls the Canal -- but the base price of the cruise is actually cheaper as it is 3 nights longer and in a much nicer cabin....oh, and they threw in an additional $500 in OBC as well as the classic beverage package.

Whoa!! Because we are now elite after falling in love with cruising over 20 years ago, there are also some free perks that come with that. The cruiselines have had to offer better deals with all the competition out there ... and still think they have had relatively few cutbacks and many, many enhancements. It is really the best bargain travel to be found. While I will probably never sail on Oceana or Crystal -- I cannot imagine they could be much better than what Celebrity offers -- I guess I will never know, though. :)

I am actually pleased to see this thread because I have noticed lately that there are an awful lot of really CRANKY cruisers on this board. I've been posting here for several years (7, 8?) and have never before been so turned off.

These boards used to provide a lot of good information for cruisers and a fun place for discussion. If I was a new cruiser today and stumbled on these boards I would probably skip a cruise vacation altogether. Seriously, so many complaints about everything!

I agree with another cruiser who said the changes to the loyalty program seems to have amped things up. I personally don't sail for the loyalty program and I don't see it as a right or entitlement.

My husband reminds me that the name of this site is Cruise CRITIC ... But it seems like so many people only see the bad. I've said this before but it doesn't ever seem to sink in ... COMPARE PRICES TODAY TO THOSE 20 or 30 YEARS AGO. Celebrity can't afford to give everyone a caviar experience on a cheese sandwich budget.