Silly question: white pants in September on Med cruise??

snookie1

I know this sounds frivolous, but I do not want to commit any fashion feau pauxs (I'll bet I spelled that wrong!). We will be leaving on our Mediterranean cruise at the end of September, and I was wondering if it is acceptable to wear white pants then in Italy and Croatia, Montenegro and Slovenia. I know here in Massachusetts that is a no-no, but I've read that it can get very hot even in September there, and the white is so much cooler. Have you seen much white at that time of year? Just wondering.

It's summer somewhere. Do what looks good on you! Start a trend.:) Generally by end of September the temps are just like in the Northeast US and days are getting shorter- so it will be very comfortable for you in Europe. Believe me- cruisers are not slaves to fashion. They will be in bermuda shorts and wearing ugly white tennis shoes probably with black dress socks.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

Wear your white pants, no one will say a thing. Not wearing white after Labor Day has been an outdate fashion rule for some time. I went in September and yes it can get hot, so be comfortable and cool!

Edited by NLH Arizona

It's summer somewhere. Do what looks good on you! Start a trend.:) Generally by end of September the temps are just like in the Northeast US and days are getting shorter- so it will be very comfortable for you in Europe. Believe me- cruisers are not slaves to fashion. They will be in bermuda shorts and wearing ugly white tennis shoes probably with black dress socks.

Not many cruisers dressed like that in the med on our cruises .well maybe yes to the white sneakers.

white pants no longer a no no after labor day !

Edited by hcat

No white after Labor Day is a North American thing started by the Astors and the Vanderbilts. Europe and the rest of the world have never practiced that habit. In the 1960's Jackie Kennedy and Coco Chanel started wearing white after Labor Day and the trend started to fade. Now women wear white all year long think "winter white" slacks.

Wear whatever you are comfortable with and what makes you feel good. We are going on a cruise to Europe in September and several of the women have already said they are bringing white slacks.

Here's the thing - no matter what you wear you will be committing a fashion faux pas in someone's eyes. I have seen people wearing some pretty horrible things on cruises, whether it be in Europe or anywhere else in the world but mostly they seem to be oblivious of the shameful crime they are perpetrating and enjoying their holiday anyway.

Bottom line is if you feel comfortable in white pants and think they look OK then wear them.

The weather should still be very pleasant in the med at the end of September so think you should feel perfectly comfortable in your white pants.

I would also pack an umbrella though just in case.....

Umbrellas are provided in the cabins :)

Yes my dear wear your white pants on your Med cruise. I live dangerously in the winter wearing white according to someone who came up with that "rule" of not wearing white after Labour Day. Clothes designers or shop buyers need to understand that winter is drab enough and wearing their black, blue, brown clothes do not uplift anyone when it's grey outside.

Coming from the UK I've never heard of this. We wear white year round. I have a pair of white linen trousers (pants) that I plan to wear in the Med in October.

Dont worry. Not all of us have either. The northern states have some weird dress traditions. No white after Labor Day - or something like that.

Europeans & us Aussies don't even know when Labor Day is. I have long white & 3/4 length white jeans I wear all year round. Perfect pants for a holiday as I can dress them up & down.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

:D thank goodness I am not the only one who has never heard of such a stupid ridiculous rule!! I cannot believe there is such a concept. Wow, no white pants after Labor Day??!! We will be in the US in November. Thanks for the heads up. I will keep an eye out for the no hoods who know no different :p:D!!

(Btw- when can you start wearing them again?? ;))

Europeans & us Aussies don't even know when Labor Day is. I have long white & 3/4 length white jeans I wear all year round. Perfect pants for a holiday as I can dress them up & down.

Not in the US you can't!!! :D:p

Labor day is when North Americans celebrate the final day of the great vowel famine.

After this all vowels are available....