Ocean Princess for sale

yyjguy

For many months the rumours have around that the 3 smaller ships in the fleet (one over at P & O) were going to be sold. Today Carnival Corporation confirmed that Ocean Princess is listed for sale, and that she would be available at almost any time for the buyer. It would appear that Pacific is the next, as much major refit work has been deferred on her too. It would appear than once the new Panama Canal locks are opened, the vessel deployments will see Coral and Island take over the globe roaming voyages and the larger vessels take on the Canal trips. Good news for those of us that love longer voyages but would not sail on those tired ships.

Effectively yes, though that is not common. Even if the purchase is executed tomorrow, there is usually several months of time before the transfer.

From experience of other sales... What does this mean for someone who is booked on a trip. If bought tomorrow, will itineraries be cancelled?

Thanks for the info & something I thought would happen sooner than later. With the Pacific's fully booked 50th anniversary cruise in December 2015 she'll be sailing Princess until then & probably kept in good condition. :)

It'll be interesting to see if Oceania who already has a couple of these old Renaissance ships in their fleet will purchase these three ships & remodel them.

The Island will be sailing Med cruises beginning next summer because she is the largest Princess ship (along with her sister the Coral) allowed in Venice. Before then she is undergoing a 5 week drydock which among other changes will add more cabins.

This is so sad. To treat these 15 year old ships like they are trash is not right. With a little maintenance(Oceania does) they can be jewels for many years. Many airlines have aircraft with an average age of 15 years that are still flying and well maintained.

We absolutely love these small ships. Have sailed on the original R ships on Azamara, Oceania, and Princess. Guess we have to hurry up and sail them even more than we have.

Just off the Pacific Princess in August to Alaska. Never a line, no tender issues, great entertainment, wonderful personal service, easy navigation of the ship, up close glacier views, easy embark/disembark, etc. The list goes on.

We will follow these wonderful ladies whenever possible.

Edited by SkystheLimit
word eliminated

send em to australia, a dumping ground for tired old ships lol

I hate to see them leave the US market. I don't like the monster ships--too many pax at embarkation and tendering, and I suspect mass chaos in the event of an emergency or evacuation.

Edited by Ryndam2002

I was hoping to either snag a Vancouver to Hawaii cruise or (after I retire) one of the 28 day SF - Tahiti cruises on one of these ships. It seems that I will probably never manage to sail on one of them after all. I was afraid this might happen but I can't change my work situation and I can't change the Princess decision so... One can't always (or, in general, usually) have everything they want. I have heard such great things about these smaller ships.

Congrats to those who are booked on the 50th anniversary cruise. You may be some of the last passengers. (At least under the Princess name...)

send em to australia, a dumping ground for tired old ships lol

Yeah Princess Australia could have them. Are they older or younger than the Sea, Sun and Dawn.

PO Australia are just getting 2 HAL ships.

My first cruise was on Sea Princess and hooked me on cruising. I absolutely loved that ship.

Anyone want to take a guess what ships Princess will use once the small ships are gone for the Tahiti & Polynesia cruises?

Maybe they just have a ship that does runs back and forth between Sydney and Los Angeles. You could break it up in segments.

For many months the rumours have around that the 3 smaller ships in the fleet (one over at P & O) were going to be sold. Today Carnival Corporation confirmed that Ocean Princess is listed for sale, and that she would be available at almost any time for the buyer. It would appear that Pacific is the next, as much major refit work has been deferred on her too. It would appear than once the new Panama Canal locks are opened, the vessel deployments will see Coral and Island take over the globe roaming voyages and the larger vessels take on the Canal trips. Good news for those of us that love longer voyages but would not sail on those tired ships.

With the exception of a couple of door handles in a public restroom there was nothing tired about the Pacific Princess in August. Very comfortable bed and clean bath. My husband commented on the fact he saw no rust--Navy guy. So, I respect his comments.

There are many and maybe all of us that will miss these beautiful ships when they have left the fleet. As the old saying goes "be careful what you wish for".

Yeah Princess Australia could have them. Are they older or younger than the Sea, Sun and Dawn.

PO Australia are just getting 2 HAL ships.

Basically the same age...

This is so sad. To treat these 15 year old ships like they are trash is not right. With a little maintenance(Oceania does) they can be jewels for many years. Many airlines have aircraft with an average age of 15 years that are still flying and well maintained.

We absolutely love these small ships. Have sailed on the original R ships on Azamara, Oceania, and Princess. Guess we have to hurry up and sail them even more than we have.

Just off the Pacific Princess in August to Alaska. Never a line, no tender issues, great entertainment, wonderful personal service, easy navigation of the ship, up close glacier views, easy embark/disembark, etc. The list goes on.

We will follow these wonderful ladies whenever possible.

How are they treating them like trash? They've made a business decision.