Cruising as a solo??

Is it always this expensive?? I am going on an 7 day round trip Alaskan cruise out of Seattle. Since I am going solo, just for the cruise itself was $1700:eek: . That does NOT include my airfare to Seattle, overnight hotel, sightseeing in Seattle (first time there too). After everything is said and done (including probably 2 excursions), my cruise vacation is gonna run me about $2500 on the conservative side.

This is my first time on a cruise so this is a whole new ballgame for me.

Cruise prices are BASED ON DOUBLE OCCUPANCY....so the price of 2 people is the cost of the cabin....if only one of you is going, then it seems pricey. Prices also depend on time of year...some places/times are more expensive than others!

Sometimes a solo can find a fare that is NOT 200% of the per person rate. I've gotten a couple that were about 160% of the per person rate. Sadly, those are few and far between and require a lot of price-watching. I think NCL has some solo cabins now (or will have on their newest ship) and I think I read that those cabins would not be charged at 200%.

When I go solo to Alaska, I'm higher than $2,500 total, and I don't do pricey excursions. Airfare, hotel, pre cruise meals.... it all adds up. Usually an oceanview cabin. The up side is that the cabin is MINE, all mine :D I can nap, sleep late or not, have the TV on or not, get up at 3 am to watch for the sunrise and the bathroom is all MINE :D

I hope you enjoy your first cruise!

CowPrincess, thanks for your reply. Wish I could spring for an ocean view cabin or balcony, but would rather use that money for cruise excursions:D. Alaska cruises are expensive in and of itself.

I know NCL has solo cabins but not on their cruise ships that go to Alaska. I'm not a big fan of Caribbean cruises, so if this works out and I get bitten by the "cruise bug", I hope to take an European cruise sometime in the future.

This was just a bit of a sticker shock to me. I can't wait to go though. I have a lot planned :)

Edited by renaissancewoman101

Some of the river cruise companies will match you up with another passenger of the same sex so you can get the double occupancy rate. Obviously you have to hope and pray your roommate is tolerable.

I have not heard of any off the ocean cruise companies offering this.

Some of the river cruise companies will match you up with another passenger of the same sex so you can get the double occupancy rate. Obviously you have to hope and pray your roommate is tolerable.

I have not heard of any off the ocean cruise companies offering this.

HAL does.

To the OP -- yes, cruising solo isn't cheap. But it's so enjoyable! I've cruised solo for a while now, including various Med cruises and just this year to SE Asia. I've enjoyed them all. :D

Cruising solo and staying in a hotel solo is usually the same. It costs for double occupancy and one person is paying as though there were two (usually).

Be sure to check your hotel rates if you travel to Europe. Many times, there is a single occupancy price. I use that trick all the time.

Solo cruising is expensive. No real way around it. I just suck it up and save for it.

I love cruising solo (over 150 days sailing) and try to look for cruise lines that do not charge 200% for some categories of cabins. Both HAL (although not for Alaska for some reason) and Cunard charge between 160-175% usually for interior and oceanview cabins (and balcony on Cunard).

I've always cruised by myself. It usually has run me 150-175% of the base fare. To me it's certainly worth it not having to share a bathroom with someone else; I guess married folks have to get used to that.:rolleyes: I'm just glad to have the cabin to myself, whether it's an inside, or a slightly larger ocean view.

Edited by Treven

Be sure to check your hotel rates if you travel to Europe. Many times, there is a single occupancy price. I use that trick all the time.

Solo cruising is expensive. No real way around it. I just suck it up and save for it.

Yes. Many hotels I've stayed in -- at least in the more Mediterranean countries -- do offer "single" rooms, and some even offer what's known as a "double occupancy room for single use."

The latter category offers some reduction off the price of a standard double room for a solo, somewhat like the 175% or so one might get offered as a solo (if lucky) aboard some ships. The former category rooms are often quite small but offer a significant savings off the cost of a double room.

I've had single rooms in hotels in Rome, Paris, Istanbul, Athens and Barcelona as well as other smaller cities. Not sure if these are as common in Northern Europe, and I'm also unsure whether well-known "chain" hotels are likely to offer them.

Edited by cruisemom42

Celebrity has a weekly online sale called XcitingDeals.com. Someone else here can give you full logon.This week Solstice 11N out of Seattle 9/11 is $949 Inside plus 50% SS=$1424 for solo. Probably best ship doing AK .Stay at Green Tortise next to Pike Market prior and you are all set. Thats 11 nights too! You gotta book on Tuesday.

Yes. Many hotels I've stayed in -- at least in the more Mediterranean countries -- do offer "single" rooms, and some even offer what's known as a "double occupancy room for single use."

The latter category offers some reduction off the price of a standard double room for a solo, somewhat like the 175% or so one might get offered as a solo (if lucky) aboard some ships. The former category rooms are often quite small but offer a significant savings off the cost of a double room.

I've had single rooms in hotels in Rome, Paris, Istanbul, Athens and Barcelona as well as other smaller cities. Not sure if these are as common in Northern Europe, and I'm also unsure whether well-known "chain" hotels are likely to offer them.

I've had the experience of finding them in Germany as well.

I'll say that my "chain" does frequently do the single occupancy rate. When I did my trip this Spring, I could pay the double occupancy rate or a lessor single occupancy rate. A few hotels even have smaller rooms just for solos. I just have to be sure to do my due diligence and research my choices. Now, in the US, my hotel charges the same price for 1 or 2 people. That is the norm in the US. Europe and some places in Asia take occupancy more seriously, it seems.

You didn't say when you are going. I did an Alaska cruise solo a couple years ago and by going in Sept (not the last one but next to last one of the season) my total was almost half of what it would have been in mid summer. If you can do early or late season you can save a bunch.

I found it to be a good time to go. Not many kids as school had started already for most places. Many of the stores in the ports were having end of year sales. I stayed by the airport at the Hilton (next to the light rail) so the rate was not to bad and didn't have to pay weekend rates downtown. I only went in the day before and went to a baseball game, so not much sightseeing. I did do a post cruise excursion Seattle tour after but mostly because I had a late flight home and had time to kill. At the time I was living in Houston so I had multiple direct flights to chose form so airfare wasn't that big of a deal for me. (I actually went first class as I needed a the extra qualification miles to qualify for elite status. :D ).

When in a double cabin as a solo, it is expected tipping be doubled?

Thanks for the responses.

This is my first time sailing as a solo after losing my DH of a great many years and I'm trying to 'learn the ropes'. :)

As a fellow HAL cruiser, I can confirm that they charge your on-board account for the "service charge" (or whatever they call it) of only one person.