Loyal Princess Passengers try Royal Caribbean

Radiance of the Seas – May 20th (Vancouver to Seward) and May 27th (Seward to Vancouver)

For background we are in our late 50’s, are very active, and have been on 26 cruises with Princess along with samplings of most of the other main lines. This time around we cruised Royal Caribbean since the offer was just too good to turn down.

To be totally fair we usually stay in Mini-Suites or a Suite and this cruise it was in an Inside, so we are not talking apples to apples when it comes to the room. We knew that going in and although an inside is not what we typically book, we have stayed in pretty much all room categories. And although it has been a while, we are familiar with the insides on Princess so we are able to make some comparisons.

As you will see we liked some aspects, loved others, and questioned some of RCI’s decisions throughout the cruise. Basically RCI did some things better or much better than Princess but failed miserably in some other areas. Also we love cruising and RCI’s failures were for the most part inconveniences, not deal breakers.

Please remember that these are OUR impressions – feel free to clarify or tell us we are factually wrong, but don’t tell us our impressions are wrong. Also remember that this is one cruise with RCI on the Radiance of the Seas (which may or may not compare to the rest of RCI’s fleet) – while our comparison is to Princess where we have been on virtually all their ships, multiple times, over the past 25 years.

I will also not be commenting on the loyalty programs since we didn’t experience any such perks on this trip and it would be wrong to comment on what we heard instead of what we experienced.

I will break down the review into manageable pieces which I will post daily. That way I will be able to clarify or answer questions – again in a manageable way. The review will also be posted on both the Royal Caribbean and the Princess areas of Cruise Critic so that both sides can read it should they wish.

Embarkation

We embarked in Vancouver and since there were three ships in port it was a total gong show. It wouldn’t have mattered which cruise line you were on as US Immigration slowed the process down until it appeared to be going backwards. This isn’t the fault of the cruise line.

Upon walking onto the ship several things occurred that kind of made us question our decision. The first is that three times we had to show our passport to RCI personnel on the gangway or the outside deck – we already had our Seapass and had been cleared through US Immigration????? Really – three more times? This held up the lines for absolutely no purpose. In one instance one RCI employee wanted to see our passports and 20 feet away and within eyesight of each other another employee checked them again.

Once onboard the ship itself there was no one to direct you towards your room. We had to search for it ourselves which seemed odd – on Princess there is staff everywhere asking to assist you and everyone gets a foldup map when they get their Seapass/Cruise Card.

First impressions of the ship – Radiance of the Seas. Lots of windows but they were all so dirty you couldn’t hardly see out of them and they remained that way for the next few days.

The Centrum (Atrium on Princess) was less opulent than an atrium on Princess and though smaller in dimensions, it soared eight stories rather than three or four as on Princess. This provided a lot more room along the railings to watch entertainment.

Comparable to all ships the upsells were everywhere – drink and dinner packages, etc.

Noticeably though, was the vibe of the staff. Everyone and we mean everyone was smiling and trying to make us comfortable in our new surroundings as we went exploring. Not that Princess does not – rather that we have found that the Princess staff in the last two years is so overworked due to cutbacks, that at times they seem to be on autopilot. As the weeks went on we found the entire staff to be absolutely fabulous. Bartenders we met once would know our drinks when we saw them the next time, waiters would know what type of food we preferred, etc.

We found out later that this impressive attitude may be tied to the fact that RCI still hands out envelopes to place tips in for the staff – and many of them expect that they will in fact receive tips above the mandatory auto tips.

Muster

Princess again kicks RCI – muster stations on Princess are inside and comfortable. Our first leg the muster was inside but the second leg our muster station was outside in the cold at 7:15 pm. So there was my wife in her cocktail dress standing outside on the deck for 25 minutes in 52 degree weather (11 C). RCI also stated that due to law, even those who had been to muster the week before had to attend. In the past year Princess has realized that if you had muster last week and you are continuing your voyage, you don’t have to go again. Thus RCI’s claim that it is law doesn’t ring true – if so Princess would be breaking the law and leaving themselves open to civil action which I don’t think it would do. Last part – Princess keeps track of you electronically by portable card readers at muster. RCI did so by checking your name off a paper list. Good luck with that – we wasted more time by attendants calling out cabins to those assembled and trying to find them.

The worst part – that standing outside in the wind and cold was only an inconvenience. The sad part was that no one could hear the instructions due to the wind of what to do and what not to do in an emergency. Thus if it was your first cruise you wouldn’t have a clue how to proceed.

The Cabin

We found that the RCI inside cabin was probably a little bigger than Princess but there was a lack of flat surface area and the closet was considerably more cramped. Now did we have enough room to store our belongings – definitely. Were they crammed into some areas – definitely. Lots of mirrors also gave the impression of having more room.

The shower although small seemed bigger than the one in a similar size Princess room.

There is also a couch which gives you some extra room.

Specific to cabin 3137 – lots of noise from the crew area below – hydraulics’ and beep, beep, beep at all hours.

Beds are also comparable.

Fridge is little more than a cooler but our room steward was very good at keeping our ice bucket filled.

Eating Venues & Food - Tomorrow

I've cruised mostly RCI, and one time Princess.

I 100% agree with you re: muster. On RCI it is on deck, standing in line shoulder to shoulder in the heat for what seems like forever as you wait for people to show up.

In princess we were just all standing around in a lounge in the air conditioning.

The TV selection was also much better.

The big thing that made me prefer RCI was on the Emerald Princess it seemed the ship shut down after 8pm. We walked around and legit thought something horrible had happened because there was not a soul to be found anywhere on the ship after 11pm. Then they refused to give us towels on the pool deck at night. We were used to chilling in the hot tubs into the night on RCI.

We ended up collecting towels throughout the day and using them at night for hot tub time while on princess.

Other than that, they were pretty comparable in my estimation.

Thanks for your review. I haven't sailed Princess in several years and am looking forward to your comparisons.

Strange that you received envelopes for extra tips. I don't remember getting them for years now. We always do the auto grats and just hand out cash to those we feel deserve it.

Hope you enjoy your cruise.

We thought it strange to get the envelopes in our room as well. To be clear we always leave the auto tips in place as well as tip those who do the extra for us - room steward, certain bar staff and waiters who learn our likes/dislikes.

We willingly tip extra but thought it was strange that RCI charge you the auto tip and then make it appear that you should also tip extra. This really didn't bother us since we do it anyway but I see where it would be a little unsettling to those that don't tip extra.

thanks

Ray

Thanks for your review. I haven't sailed Princess in several years and am looking forward to your comparisons.

Strange that you received envelopes for extra tips. I don't remember getting them for years now. We always do the auto grats and just hand out cash to those we feel deserve it.

Hope you enjoy your cruise.

We thought it strange to get the envelopes in our room as well. To be clear we always leave the auto tips in place as well as tip those who do the extra for us - room steward, certain bar staff and waiters who learn our likes/dislikes.

We willingly tip extra but thought it was strange that RCI charge you the auto tip and then make it appear that you should also tip extra. This really didn't bother us since we do it anyway but I see where it would be a little unsettling to those that don't tip extra.

thanks

Ray

I agree about the envelopes. Makes you feel like you need to use them! However, I have used the envelopes for diamond/concierge lounge staff. Plus hopefully people who remove the gratuities will then use them, as so many people remove their tips "because they like to tip in person."

I leave the auto tips in place, and tip extra in cash if I decide to, envelopes or not!

Strange, I honestly don't remember getting the envelopes in several years. Hate to even bring it up it but I've been D+ for several years, don't know if that has anything to do with it.

Anyway enjoy the rest of your cruise, looking forward to your review. Looking at Princess for Europe next year!

Strange, I honestly don't remember getting the envelopes in several years. Hate to even bring it up it but I've been D+ for several years, don't know if that has anything to do with it.

Anyway enjoy the rest of your cruise, looking forward to your review. Looking at Princess for Europe next year!

We've only had 3 Royal cruises, but we never received envelopes. In fact, we had to go to Guest Services to pick up envelopes to tip extra. Also, we've never cruised on Radiance, but the musters on Oasis and Allure are mostly inside unless you get assigned to the Aqua Theatre which is quite comfortable.

Looking forward to the rest of the op's review.

I am D+ too - received envelopes on the Serenade, Independence and Oasis within the last two-year time period.

Enjoying your comparisons - thank you! Can you compare the passengers? Same ages, number of families, etc.?

Was given the envelopes on Freedom and Allure within last 3 years.

Edited by Truluv

Enjoying your comparisons - thank you! Can you compare the passengers? Same ages, number of families, etc.?

Was given the envelopes on Freedom and Allure within last 3 years.

This is a hard one to answer since it was an Alaskan cruise in May and the passenger vibe also changed between the northbound and southbound legs. The same would be true if you asked about a late January cruise compared to a Spring Break cruise - passenger makeup is completely different.

That said, overall I would say there were more passengers on Royal between the ages of 30 and 50 than on Princess. Strangely though on the northbound leg they were very involved with the activities compared to the southbound leg when this age group was far less involved.

I would say that there were comparable numbers of kids and families and of course the passengers that keep cruise lines in business - seniors.

The biggest difference between between the two legs of even this cruise was the interaction and dress of the passengers but this comment should be taken in context. Having never done an Alaskan cruise with Princess, it may be the same - there were lots of casual clothes even on formal nights - jeans and shorts, etc. But on the southbound/second week there were considerably more women dressed for formal night and men in tuxedos which was different than northbound.

Of course formal nights is a favorite topic on these boards - both for and against. Personally we dress up because we like to but could care less about what others do as it doesn't affect our experience in the least.

Hopefully this answers your question - unfortunately I can't compare apples to apples since we have heard that even Princess passengers dress down for Alaska.

The only times we have seen passengers on Princess dress down even close to this were on Baltic cruises when passengers tend to be more casual. Either way I believe that all cruise lines are headed towards more casual dress.

Ray

RCCL is my favorite line, but we cruise several others and have done Princess several times, totally agree on the Muster, so many lines do this better than RCCL and it general we found Princess somewhat similar to RCCL

I've cruised mostly RCI, and one time Princess.

I 100% agree with you re: muster. On RCI it is on deck, standing in line shoulder to shoulder in the heat for what seems like forever as you wait for people to show up.

In princess we were just all standing around in a lounge in the air conditioning.

On RCI, this is ship specific. Some of the muster stations are indoors on Radiance class ships (our cabin was in the forward portion, so we mustered in the theatre), and on the newer ships, all muster stations are in venues with seating, usually indoors.

Radiance of the Seas – May 20th (Vancouver to Seward) and May 27th (Seward to Vancouver)

Muster

Princess again kicks RCI – muster stations on Princess are inside and comfortable. Our first leg the muster was inside but the second leg our muster station was outside in the cold at 7:15 pm. So there was my wife in her cocktail dress standing outside on the deck for 25 minutes in 52 degree weather (11 C). RCI also stated that due to law, even those who had been to muster the week before had to attend. In the past year Princess has realized that if you had muster last week and you are continuing your voyage, you don’t have to go again. Thus RCI’s claim that it is law doesn’t ring true – if so Princess would be breaking the law and leaving themselves open to civil action which I don’t think it would do. Last part – Princess keeps track of you electronically by portable card readers at muster. RCI did so by checking your name off a paper list. Good luck with that – we wasted more time by attendants calling out cabins to those assembled and trying to find them.

I believe that RCI sells a B2B as two separate 7 day cruises, but on Princess, it is listed as a 14 day cruise (at least that's how it appears on the website), so that may account for the difference in mustering for the second sailing, and a way to get around the law.

Also, the scanning is ship specific. On most RCI ships, they use the scanner too.

Edited by DonnaK

On RCI, this is ship specific. Some of the muster stations are indoors on Radiance class ships (our cabin was in the forward portion, so we mustered in the theatre), and on the newer ships, all muster stations are in venues with seating, usually indoors.

So as normal RCCL policy changes from ship to ship, been on several Voyager class and Freedom and they were all outdoors ( never done one indoors as best as I can remember on RCCL)

So as normal RCCL policy changes from ship to ship, been on several Voyager class and Freedom and they were all outdoors ( never done one indoors as best as I can remember on RCCL)
When we were on Liberty, our station was indoors, while other stations were outdoors. Same when we were on Jewel. So, it's even muster station specific within the same ship! On Allure, Anthem and Quantum, it was indoors for us (I think Oasis class ships have a station in the AquaTheater, so outdoors but with seating).

Anyway, I don't mean to hijack the OPs review - I just wanted to clarify that it isn't a fleetwide policy, for anyone reading this who is considering an RCI ship but who might be turned off by this particular issue.

When we were on Liberty, our station was indoors, while other stations were outdoors. Same when we were on Jewel. So, it's even muster station specific within the same ship! On Allure, Anthem and Quantum, it was indoors for us (I think Oasis class ships have a station in the AquaTheater, so outdoors but with seating).

Anyway, I don't mean to hijack the OPs review - I just wanted to clarify that it isn't a fleetwide policy, for anyone reading this who is considering an RCI ship but who might be turned off by this particular issue.

We also did Liberty a month ago in a GS and we were outdoors, have done about 14 RCCL cruises all outdoor musters, so with us at least 14-0 . But glad to here new ships have changed

Great review so far. Never have done Princess but am schedule to do Radiance Southbound next year.

One item to help you compare. Not all RCI sailings do all musters outside. I know when we were on Allure, we had Muster in the ice rink. I don't know if this is due to the size of the ship or Captain's preference or what.

Looking forward to more.

Erika

Food and Food Venues

RCI Windjammer versus Princess Horizon Court

RCI is the clear winner on setup. Wide open and you could see both sides which allowed you to go to the line where there were the least people. Unfortunately this also meant more confused and wandering people. What we didn’t miss though was that the area remained cool no matter how many people were present. On Princess the area is more compact thus leading to the inevitable frustration as you stand in one line to get to the one area you are interested in, all the while getting hotter and hotter.

Breakfast – very comparable to Princess.

Windjammer Lunch – this is completely subjective of course but we found the food pretty comparable until you tried to eat healthy – then Princess kicks RCI to the curb. Everything in the Windjammer had sauce and the salad bar was pretty anemic with their offerings. Only on certain days would there be any peppers, mushrooms, etc. We learned that to get these types of things you had to wait until 2 pm when the Park Café opened. The salad bar in the Park Café was what you expect to be in the Windjammer.

What is totally missing though is that we like to have plain chicken breast with our lunch – this is available every day on Princess – but only once in two weeks on RCI.

The one other comment that many were making about the food in the Windjammer was that it was heavily influenced with Indian cuisine. Lots and lots of Indian dishes.

DogHouse versus Trident Grill

We can’t comment on the dogs as we don’t eat them but Princess also has chicken breasts and hamburgers, not just dogs by the pool which is so much better in our opinion.

Lattetudes & Park Café versus the International Café

Hard to compare as the International Café is 24 hours and has many options. We did prefer the Park Café when it was open though due to their fresh offerings.

Dining Room Lunch

We ate lunch in the Dining Room twice over the course of the two cruises. Both times the food was excellent. As a heads up, the Dining Room is only open on sea days.

Dining Room/Dinner

We enjoy Anytime Dining on Princess which is supposedly pretty similar to My Time on RCI. Again Princess kicks RCI in this area. If the dining room is backed up on Princess you get a buzzer and away you go to a bar or to wander. With My Time you wait off to the side with the others that are waiting. Plus many on My Time have reserved a table and they wait until it is free. It does move but Princess is much better in getting people free to wait wherever they want. In our case we had a table reserved for the entire two weeks and only ended up eating at it three times as it was always occupied even though we had it reserved. Rather than wait we just took the option of sitting somewhere else.

Dining Room food – again subjective but here are our thoughts. In some ways each cruise line is superior to the other. Princess always has a different fish each night where RCI did not. Lobster and other seafood such as tiger prawns and scallops are far superior on Princess (we did not compare the paid venues). RCI is far superior with their beef though. Chicken is a tie. Vegetables on Princess are steamed while RCI appears to cook theirs in oil.

The strangest thing occurred when we attempted to order some of their all the time available menu items – they said they were out. RCI’s failure to anticipate the required supplies seemed to be a reoccurring theme over the two weeks.

Desserts – we rarely eat desserts but do so on a cruise. In our opinion RCI has better desserts than Princess.

Dining options – on RCI you can upgrade to a lobster or better steak in the regular dining room for an upcharge. Princess does not do this. Both lines have their Speciality Restaurants for a fee.

Dining Rooms – Princess has separate dining rooms for traditional and Anytime, where on the Radiance they are in one big two story room with a very nice balcony up top. The main floor is traditional where the upper floor is My Time. Radiance has great big floor to ceiling windows which really make the room, especially in Alaska where it remains daylight during dinner. There is also a water feature wall that is between a double staircase from the upper to lower floor which is pretty nice. RCI also has the food come out and the dishes taken away to a main kitchen area where with Princess there are food stations for the waiters to serve from. RCI’s concept was kind of nice as you don’t have the waiters cleaning dishes, etc beside you. Basically it is somewhat of a tie between the two lines but I would probably give Radiance the edge due to the windows and views.

Dining Room staff.

RCI waiters are like Princess was 5 to 10 years ago – fabulous. That is not to say that Princess has bad waiters – just tired and overworked. As noted we found that RCI dining staff expected an additional tip at the end of the cruise.

Coffee – not specialty but just coffee. Princess has long been criticised for their bad coffee. RCI has much better coffee.

Tomorrow – Bar Service, Port Issues, and the Pool Deck

We are sailing on the Radiance to Alaska in a few days. Next year, we will be sailing on the Star Princess to Alaska ---- Really appreciate you taking the time to write your review in comparison format.

our Freedom and Liberty cruises, muster was in the mdr. On Indy it was outside.

Bar Service

On Radiance we experienced very personal service – unfortunately the stock on this ship became a bit of a joke. The beer you just finished was no longer available, as was the glass or bottle of wine you were drinking. When you picked a new one from the menu you found that it was unavailable as well. But wait – they have others that aren’t on the menu…………… It became a bit of a joke to us and to many of those we spoke with, as each bar had different stock and what was available, would change daily. On Princess they do run out of the odd thing but for the most part they keep their supply closet full.

Drink Pricing

Beer prices are pretty comparable for both lines. RCI was considerable higher for things like Martini’s and the like (probably $2.00 per drink).

Beer Selection

On paper RCI has a much better beer list than Princess – unfortunately a lot of brands were unavailable.

Getting on and off at ports

Princess is so far ahead that RCI isn’t even in the race. RCI restricted everyone to one point of entry and exit which meant long lineups – really??? Princess always has at the very least two points of entry and exit.

Pool Deck

Princess ships have far more seating area around the pools. Although Radiance is similar in size to a like sized Princess ship, we realized that RCI has four staircases where Princess has two. The staircases take away a lot of lounging area. Radiance also has a lot of permanent structures which limit how you can move your chair to follow the sun.

Radiance loungers are made of the little plastic strips which I didn’t even think you could buy anymore. Princess loungers are far superior.

Solarium

Very comparable to Princess solariums – although no upper deck on Radiance which again limits the seating area somewhat.

Sport Deck Activities

RCI has way better amenities such as their rock climbing wall if you are so inclined and also their mini-putt is far superior.

Movies Under the Stars

The big screen on the Radiance was a bit of a joke – probably less than half the size of the screens on Princess. Also in bright sunlight you couldn’t see the picture very well – again on Princess the resolution is great no matter how bright the sun is. Same goes for the sound system – Princess is far superior.

Tomorrow – Fitness, Entertainment & Tour Desk