Too casual on formal night?

ClassyGame

Hi ladies!

Back story: The only cruise I've been on, as well as the one I'm going on next month, is basically a floating music festival. It's chartered by a company, and none of the normal rules apply. The only dress code is that you can't wear bathing suits in the MDR.

I'm going on my first "normal" cruise next spring, and I'm big on planning, so I'm already trying to get my ducks in a row. How casual is too casual for formal night? I want to participate in formal night, but I rarely wear dresses, let alone something fancy. I'm also plus-size, so anything slinky or too tight is out. Plus I have to pack minimally, since as soon as I get off the ship, I fly to Nashville for two weeks for a huge music festival.

Would this dress be too casual? Take away the belt and and booties, and add a statement necklace and nicer footwear. I already have this dress, plus it can be both dressed up and down, and I could also wear it in Nashville. Oh, and I'm on a Carnival cruise, so I know they're more lax than other lines.

Screen+Shot+2013-11-07+at+9.38.32+PM.png

Thanks for any input! :)

I think your dress will be fine. I just wear black dress pants and a nice top and on 5 different cruise lines I've not felt out of place at all. As you say - you can dress it up with some jewellery, a belt, or different shoes, but you can't really go wrong with a classic black dress.

That is exactly like the one LBTD that I take when I travel (mine is a little more A-line, not swingy skirt). I use it for all my "fancy" occasions on vacation, be it land or sea. I've used it on Princess, Celebrity, NCL cruises, and at fine dining establishments in the US and Europe (including one Michelin 3 star joint).

I have a skinny black faux croc belt I can use with it. I use jewelry that I have on hand; from my hand-made Swarovski crystal necklace, to my Tahitian pearl, to my ceramic beaded necklace made by women in a battered women's shelter in Kenya, etc… I have a pair of basic black flats that I can stuff in any bag that I'll use for my footwear.

You'll be fine. Ignore any Fashion Police who give you guff over it…

P.S. I LOVE those shoes!! I wish I could wear heels so I could have those!!

Edited by slidergirl

It's great! In fact is it still available to order?:D Where did you find it?

It is! It's the brand LuLaRoe, in the style Amelia. LLR clothes are mainly sold by consultants, but they offer a few of the styles on their website, and the black version of this is one they sell on the site. :)

http://www.lularoe.com/shop/little-black-dress

I have a ton of their clothes, and several of the Amelias. Their clothes are SO COMFY, and great to travel with since they don't wrinkle easily. And no, I'm not a consultant, I just love the brand. :) However, if you do order from them you can use my friend's code at checkout and get free shipping - CHRISTAJOBB.

It's great! In fact is it still available to order?:D Where did you find it?

If you are on the hunt for a LBTD (Little Black Travel Dress), go to the Garnet Hill website. Take a look at the Eileen Fisher Washable Wool Scoop-neck Dress. I bought this one last year to add to my collections of LBTDs. I another Eileen Fisher dress, a scoop-neck cotton jersey A-line. And, my trusty black travelers dress from Sahalie; I've had this one since probably 2008.

On the Inspiration? You'll be overdressed, lol. Bring a pair of flatter shoes as the currents can be rough.

We've sailed the 3-4 day Los Angeles cruises too many times to count. Many women wear black slacks/pretty tops or fancy sundresses.

Know you didn't ask but, men rarely wear a full suit or sport coat and tie. Some men will wear nice khakis and guayaberas.

Edited by SadieN

• 5 months later...