Luca or Pisa?

tango nana

We are using Princess shore excursions on our September trip. Trying to decide between Lucca or Pisa. Both are 1/2 day trips. Would love to hear from anyone who have done either of these 2 excursions and any recommendations.

Thanks,

Suzanne

We are using Princess shore excursions on our September trip. Trying to decide between Lucca or Pisa. Both are 1/2 day trips. Would love to hear from anyone who have done either of these 2 excursions and any recommendations.

Thanks,

Suzanne

Haven't done it on Princess but did it on HAL where they combined Lucca & Pisa.

I would LOVE to go back to Lucca. It's a beautiful spot.

For us, Pisa had less attraction. Ok, we saw the leaning tour, but really, overall Lucca was charming and we enjoyed our time there far more than Pisa. Just our experience though ;)

Lucca would be my choice as it was this June. Pisa is a nice town with a tower that leans. Really you should be able to do both. Consider doing this on your own and taking the train from Livorno to Lucca, then seeing the tower on your way back as you will be changing trains in Pisa anyway. Involves a little walking but easy to accomplish in a day.

Well it really depends...they're quite different visits. It would be nice indeed to have a whole day in Lucca, there are so many very beautiful and lovely things to see, possibly the finest Renaissance walled city in the World and perfection in urban planning. Super relaxed. One of the most lovely towns in Europe.

It would also be a shame - especially if you don't plan on ever coming back - missing out on one of the finest architectural complexes in the world of Pisa. It's not just about the 'Leaning Tower'. You've got the cathedral, baptistery , Campo Santo and some other very important sites further inside the town. You can see those main sites in the 'Field of Miracles ' in under 2 hours.

You can easily see both Pisa and Lucca in 1 day , doing it yourself...

Thanks,

Suzanne

Hi Suzanne

In case it helps you decide, this was my day visiting both, sharing a taxi for 6 at the dock. We only had time for about 75 minutes at Pisa but unless you want to climb the tower and poke about in the Field of Miracles that's enough.

All the best, Tony

[YOUTUBE]tV17niTbwmE[/YOUTUBE]

• 3 weeks later...
Lucca would be my choice as it was this June. Pisa is a nice town with a tower that leans. Really you should be able to do both. Consider doing this on your own and taking the train from Livorno to Lucca, then seeing the tower on your way back as you will be changing trains in Pisa anyway. Involves a little walking but easy to accomplish in a day.

You can easily do Pisa in two hours, max. Take the train, get on the bus behind the station, see the towers, get back on the bus to the train station. Easy peazy. Not sure about Lucca. Missed that on our trip.

You can easily do either Pisa or Lucca by train from Livorno. Look up train times here : http://www.eurail.com/plan-your-trip/eurail-timetable

Coming from Livorno whilst Pisa Rossore is the nearest station to the Leaning Tower, that station is one stop beyond Pisa Centrale. As such a change of trains is required at Pisa Centrale on most trains with poor connections often . From Pisa Centrale station take bus or taxi to the Field of Miracles. With the Leaning Tower be sure to pre book admissions on line through official LT website .

With Lucca, from the station out front is garden square . Leaving the station walk towards the Roman walls along the LHS side this garden piazza, then turn left and after 100m you find San Pedro gate into the old city . Lucca is just fabulous. Be sure to take in Piazza St Michele and its cathedral where Puccini was both a choir boy and organist . At the rear of this church the Puccini Museum. Also must sees Tower Guinigi and the Antifearo . Hire bikes and ride the 3 kms right around the tops of the old Roman walls still circling this Italian gem . Best dining in town at Buca San Antonio at the back of Piazzale San Michelle.

Been to both and both are lovely. However, if I could only pick one it would be Lucca hands down. We've actually looked at going back to Lucca for a stay on land. Charming....

Ditto on this suggestion. Lucca was charming. We were there last year during their International Comic Convention. Saw some of the weirdest costumes and displays ever. Town is very walkable and fun.

Have been to both places (many times) and they are completely different experiences. Pisa visits are primarily to visit the Field of Miracles where one can see the Tower and a a few other things. Lucca is a real walled city (the walls are pretty complete and one can actually walk or ride a bike around the city) and would better suit those who want to shop, eat, browse shops, etc. One can visit both places, on their own, in a port day by simply using the trains, rental car, or hiring car/driver.

Hank

We have zero interest in browsing shops or eating in the town. Years ago, we biked the walls of Lucca and it was pleasant. How interesting is Pisa if we're not all that interested in seeing the leaning tower?

This will be an included ship's excursion-- no need for other sorts of transport.

Thank you.

We have zero interest in browsing shops or eating in the town. Years ago, we biked the walls of Lucca and it was pleasant. How interesting is Pisa if we're not all that interested in seeing the leaning tower?

This will be an included ship's excursion-- no need for other sorts of transport.

Thank you.

Honestly? If you have no interest in the Leaning Tower then going to Pisa will be a waste of your time. The surrounding field is OK (we once had a picnic in that area) but really not worth a special trip. In fact, the only reason we ever stop at Pisa (we often are driving in Italy) is if we have other folks with us who really want to see the tower...and then we try to keep our stop to no more then a half hour (29 minutes too long for me).

But you do have us wondering. If you have no interest in shopping, browsing, or seeing historical sites (like the Leaning Tower) then please tell us what does interest you...and perhaps we can come up with some other ideas.

Hank

I think that it comes down to personal preference.

We did three land trips where we passed near to Pisa without bothering with it. On our last land trip we stayed in Luca for three nights. It was wonderful and we very much enjoyed the city. We took the short train trip to Pisa on afternoon. It was fine but we came back early. Going into the tower was not of real interest to us. Nor was the town itself. Each to their own.

We do enjoy seeing historical sites, but seeing handsome or interesting or charming places seems to please us more. I guess we like wonderful natural scenery-- mountains, woods, coasts, parks, and such most of all.

Hi Suzanne

In case it helps you decide, this was my day visiting both, sharing a taxi for 6 at the dock. We only had time for about 75 minutes at Pisa but unless you want to climb the tower and poke about in the Field of Miracles that's enough.

All the best, Tony

[YOUTUBE]tV17niTbwmE[/YOUTUBE]

Antonio (Tony)

Thank you so much for the video. The music always makes me cry. I now know that I must go to Lucca! It was on my wish list for this year's cruise but DH was a bit like "all that way to Rome and then more travelling the next day!" so we only got as far as Pisa and, I must say, had a lovely time just viewing the Tower and Duomo (I have already climbed the tower). Next time I will forgo Rome (I do want to see Tarquinia) and we will get to Lucca. It might not be until 2018 but I am already getting excited.

Honestly? If you have no interest in the Leaning Tower then going to Pisa will be a waste of your time. The surrounding field is OK (we once had a picnic in that area) but really not worth a special trip. In fact, the only reason we ever stop at Pisa (we often are driving in Italy) is if we have other folks with us who really want to see the tower...and then we try to keep our stop to no more then a half hour (29 minutes too long for me).

But you do have us wondering. If you have no interest in shopping, browsing, or seeing historical sites (like the Leaning Tower) then please tell us what does interest you...and perhaps we can come up with some other ideas.

Hank

Ditto. Not much there except the tower. But churches around the tower are pretty awesome. OK, I loved Pisa...:)

Ditto. Not much there except the tower. But churches around the tower are pretty awesome. OK, I loved Pisa...:)

Must admit that in forty+ years of extensive travel this is the first time I have heard "love" and "Pisa" in the same sentence :). But there is nothing wrong with the Field of Miracles...and we have stopped there a few times (only when we had a rental car and some time to kill). We did talk to one Italian couple who told us they loved to come there on a nice day to have their picnic lunch. Personally, we did enjoy visiting during the time the "experts" were working on stabilizing the tower (it was a massive project).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner