Port of Seattle launches free airport luggage service

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

West Coast Departures

Honolulu, Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle, San Francisco, Vancouver
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 07:25 PM.
Phoenix,AZ
10,279 Posts
Joined Jul 2004
Originally posted by nctxmix
We disembarked from the Ruby princess yesterday (may 20) and used the port's Free luggage service. We were flying out of SeaTac on Delta at 1:10 and were told this was the first week to use this service. It worked perfectly for us. We had to fill out the request and flight info to return it to customer service desk by Monday noon (Juneau port day). On Friday evening we had our luggage tags and our boarding passes. Your Stewart will even weigh your luggage if you need them to. We used the princess transfer from port to SeaTac and was dropped off at the terminals. We were able to go straight to TSA check in. WHen we arrived in Charlotte, NC last night, our luggage arrived with us. There were no issues and was very pleased. It was nice to disembark and not have to look for our luggage.
Thanks for the report!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sean
Boynton Beach, FL USA
13,055 Posts
Joined Jun 2001
We disembarked from the Ruby princess yesterday (may 20) and used the port's Free luggage service. We were flying out of SeaTac on Delta at 1:10 and were told this was the first week to use this service. It worked perfectly for us. We had to fill out the request and flight info to return it to customer service desk by Monday noon (Juneau port day). On Friday evening we had our luggage tags and our boarding passes. Your Stewart will even weigh your luggage if you need them to. We used the princess transfer from port to SeaTac and was dropped off at the terminals. We were able to go straight to TSA check in. WHen we arrived in Charlotte, NC last night, our luggage arrived with us. There were no issues and was very pleased. It was nice to disembark and not have to look for our luggage.
Thanks so much for your report. It is exactly as we hoped it would be.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
For Cruise Reviews and Pictures, visit our website at www.thepreismans.com
Mike

Upcoming Cruises:
HAL Nieuw Amsterdam - October 2017 - Eastern Caribbean
HAL Zaandam - January 2018 - Antarctica/South America
Celebrity Constellation - April 2018 - Arabian Sea & Suez Canal
Celebrity Edge - January 2019 - Eastern Caribbean

Cincinnati. OH-Go Reds
5,615 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
So am I correct in assuming that if you have a flight that departs SeaTac airport after 11am you can fill out paperwork at guest services and they will take your bags to the airport and print your boarding passes and this is all courtesy of the Port of Seattle. Am I missing anything? I am sailing with Emerald Princess and my flight departs at night.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
New Jersey
216 Posts
Joined Mar 2012
Thanks for the info I am sailing in July ,and was thrilled to see your post about this service. We are hoping to use it . Sounds great.
Thanks again
Terri
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Hays, NC USA
133 Posts
Joined May 2003
Originally posted by AF-1
So am I correct in assuming that if you have a flight that departs SeaTac airport after 11am you can fill out paperwork at guest services and they will take your bags to the airport and print your boarding passes and this is all courtesy of the Port of Seattle. Am I missing anything? I am sailing with Emerald Princess and my flight departs at night.
On the form I filled out, you had to answer yes to five questions and one of the questions asked if your flight was between 11 and 1 pm. Even though my flight was at 1:10, I answered yes and it was approved. I can understand that the flight has to be after 11, but don't really see a problem with a flight after 1. I did have to have a printed copy of my flight confirmation. Be sure a bring a copy with you.

I was told that this was a courtesy of the port of Seattle hoping to make disembark me too smoother.
Brooklyn, NY
2,489 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
On the form I filled out, you had to answer yes to five questions and one of the questions asked if your flight was between 11 and 1 pm. Even though my flight was at 1:10, I answered yes and it was approved. I can understand that the flight has to be after 11, but don't really see a problem with a flight after 1. I did have to have a printed copy of my flight confirmation. Be sure a bring a copy with you.

I was told that this was a courtesy of the port of Seattle hoping to make disembark me too smoother.
Since the main point of offering this service was to hopefully allow people to spend more time in Seattle it doesn't make sense to limit it to 1 pm.
Did you have to be among the first group off the ship in case customs wanted to inspect your luggage??
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

HAL Amsterdam 7/17/2017 14 night Alaska
HAL OOsterdam 9/16/16 12 night Eastern Med
HAL Koningsdam 8/14/16, 14 night Northern Isles
HAL Oosterdam 2/19/2016 10 day Southern Caribbean
RCCL Freedom of the Seas 5/24/2015 7 night Western Caribbean
HAL Noordam 10/8/14, 11 night Mediterranean
Carnival Splendor 4/18/14, 8 night Caribbean
HAL Nieuw Amsterdam 2/24/13, 14 day Caribbean
RCCL Navigator of the Seas 1/29/12 14 day Caribbean
Disney Dream 11/6/11 4 day Bahamas
HAL Noordam 9/5/11 20 day Mediterranean
HAL Noordam 2/15/11 10 day Southern Caribbean
Princess Crown Princess 8/22/10 12 day British Isles
HAL Noordam 1/24/2010 10 day Southern Caribbean
HAL Statendam 8/16/09 14 day BtoB Alaska
HAL Zuiderdam 1/28/09 So. Caribbean & Panama Canal
Hal Eurodam 8/29/08 -3 day NY Introduction
HAL Noordam 1/26/2008 Southern Caribbean
HAL Noordam 1/27/2007 Southern Caribbean
Carnival Legend Of The Seas 7/7/2006 Eastern Caribbean
RCCL Majesty Of The Seas 1/22/2000 Southern Caribbean
RCCL Majesty Of The Seas 2/14/1999 Western Caribbean
RCCL Monarch OF The Seas 6/7/1998 Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Inspiration 10/20/1996 Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Fascination 1994 Eastern Caribbean
Celebrity Horizon ?? Bermuda
Cunard QE2 1980's
Chandris Galileo 1980's
Chandris Amerikannis 1980's
Chandris Britannis 1980's
Burlington, Vermont
966 Posts
Joined Oct 2009
This will help us tremendously in August. Knowing that we don't have to deal with luggage at the airport will make life so much easier. Thank you so much for your report.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
First Cruise- Norwegian Sky 08/09/10-08/13/10
Norwegian Jewel 11/05/11-11/12/11
Norwegian Dawn 11/1/13-11/14/13
Norwegian Dawn 8/14/15-8/21/15
Norwegian Breakaway 3/6/16-3/13/16

[

<SMALL>Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter</SMALL>
Hays, NC USA
133 Posts
Joined May 2003
Originally posted by Love the beach
Since the main point of offering this service was to hopefully allow people to spend more time in Seattle it doesn't make sense to limit it to 1 pm.
Did you have to be among the first group off the ship in case customs wanted to inspect your luggage??
There were 3 groups of about 50 people each that were using the Easy Check Baggage program. We were in the second group that disembarked at 7:55. Each group was set 30 min apart.

I agree that it didn't make sense to limit departures to 1 pm and I don't know how strict they are on that, mine was at 1:10 departure. We we went thru customs, only had to hold up our passports and give them our declaration form.

Hope this helps.
Western Washington
5,024 Posts
Joined Aug 2001
spend more time in Seattle
Spend more money too. The sales taxes alone on the spending could cover the cost of the transport. As the Port web site says:

The cruise valet program will allow passengers to enjoy Seattle before heading to the airport.
The Port web site does not mention a 1pm time being involved but I can see the need for sending earlier luggage to the airport sooner and staging later flights for a later truck so as to not bombard the airport with a shipload of luggage all at once.

Port of Seattle - Cruise (has info about the luggage valet program)

Our luggage will stay on the ground thank you.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
HAL - Oosterdam - June 11, 2017, Alaska
RCCL - Mariner of the Seas - May 2012 - TA Miami to Rome
RCCL - Serenade of the Seas February 12, 2011 - So. Caribbean
RCCL - Brilliance of the Seas- April 13, 2008 TA Miami to London
HAL - Veendam - June 16, 2002, Alaska
At the moment I have half a mind to go look for the rest
Brooklyn, NY
2,489 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
There were 3 groups of about 50 people each that were using the Easy Check Baggage program. We were in the second group that disembarked at 7:55. Each group was set 30 min apart.

I agree that it didn't make sense to limit departures to 1 pm and I don't know how strict they are on that, mine was at 1:10 departure. We we went thru customs, only had to hold up our passports and give them our declaration form.

Hope this helps.
Thank you.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

HAL Amsterdam 7/17/2017 14 night Alaska
HAL OOsterdam 9/16/16 12 night Eastern Med
HAL Koningsdam 8/14/16, 14 night Northern Isles
HAL Oosterdam 2/19/2016 10 day Southern Caribbean
RCCL Freedom of the Seas 5/24/2015 7 night Western Caribbean
HAL Noordam 10/8/14, 11 night Mediterranean
Carnival Splendor 4/18/14, 8 night Caribbean
HAL Nieuw Amsterdam 2/24/13, 14 day Caribbean
RCCL Navigator of the Seas 1/29/12 14 day Caribbean
Disney Dream 11/6/11 4 day Bahamas
HAL Noordam 9/5/11 20 day Mediterranean
HAL Noordam 2/15/11 10 day Southern Caribbean
Princess Crown Princess 8/22/10 12 day British Isles
HAL Noordam 1/24/2010 10 day Southern Caribbean
HAL Statendam 8/16/09 14 day BtoB Alaska
HAL Zuiderdam 1/28/09 So. Caribbean & Panama Canal
Hal Eurodam 8/29/08 -3 day NY Introduction
HAL Noordam 1/26/2008 Southern Caribbean
HAL Noordam 1/27/2007 Southern Caribbean
Carnival Legend Of The Seas 7/7/2006 Eastern Caribbean
RCCL Majesty Of The Seas 1/22/2000 Southern Caribbean
RCCL Majesty Of The Seas 2/14/1999 Western Caribbean
RCCL Monarch OF The Seas 6/7/1998 Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Inspiration 10/20/1996 Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Fascination 1994 Eastern Caribbean
Celebrity Horizon ?? Bermuda
Cunard QE2 1980's
Chandris Galileo 1980's
Chandris Amerikannis 1980's
Chandris Britannis 1980's
Cincinnati. OH-Go Reds
5,615 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
Maybe some more people will use it in the next few weeks. I do hope the 1pm is not limiting. I want to spend the entire day in Seattle before catching my flight that night. We shall see
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Georgia
190 Posts
Joined Oct 2010
Originally posted by AF-1
Maybe some more people will use it in the next few weeks. I do hope the 1pm is not limiting. I want to spend the entire day in Seattle before catching my flight that night. We shall see
I know, seems a bit pointless. We have family with flights around 1500 and they were hoping to be able to see some sights beforehand.
Cincinnati. OH-Go Reds
5,615 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
I am thinking there are may two or three waves of luggage deliveries. Maybe 11-1, 1-3, and 3 and later. I cross my fingers that this is what is will be
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Orlando, FL
1,624 Posts
Joined Jul 2004
I surely hope to be able to use this service next week. Our flight back is not until 10pm. That's a lot of time after disembarking for site seeing.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming Cruises:

Past Cruises:
6/2017 - Explorer of the Seas, Alaska
8/2015 - Liberty of the Seas, Bermuda
7/2011 - Serenade of the Seas, Southern Carib.
5/2011 - Disney Dream, Bahamas
10/2009 - Freedom of the Seas, Western Carib.
6/2009 - Monarch of the Seas, Bahamas
9/2007 - Jewel of the Seas, Northern Europe (Baltic)
4/2007 - Majesty of the Seas, Bahamas/Key West
6/2005- Brilliance of the Seas, Western Mediterranean
11/2001- Enchantment of the Seas, Eastern Carib.
8/2000- Carnival, Tropicale, Western Carib.
399 Posts
Joined Nov 2005
This is great news! We will on the Ruby Princess in July. Do you know if Southwest Airlines is included in this service? I can't find current information on the website, and the Princess agent my travel agent spoke with didn't know anything about it.

Also, we are arranging a town car to transport us to SeaTac. You mentioned there were 3 groups getting off the ship with this luggage service. Would 8:30 be a good pick up time at the Port, since we don't know which group we would be in?

Thanks for your advice!
Hays, NC USA
133 Posts
Joined May 2003
Originally posted by ams cruiser
This is great news! We will on the Ruby Princess in July. Do you know if Southwest Airlines is included in this service? I can't find current information on the website, and the Princess agent my travel agent spoke with didn't know anything about it.

Also, we are arranging a town car to transport us to SeaTac. You mentioned there were 3 groups getting off the ship with this luggage service. Would 8:30 be a good pick up time at the Port, since we don't know which group we would be in?

Thanks for your advice!
Southwest does participate. But on our May 13 rollcall someone mentioned that there were issues with the luggage going to southwest. It said Luggage could not be found at the port or the airport wasn't sure where the luggage was. The poster said it was only southwest with issue. Since this was the first week for this program, I'm hoping they will be able to work out all the kinks with all airlines. You should be fine with an 8:30 pick up from the port.
399 Posts
Joined Nov 2005
Southwest does participate. But on our May 13 rollcall someone mentioned that there were issues with the luggage going to southwest. It said Luggage could not be found at the port or the airport wasn't sure where the luggage was. The poster said it was only southwest with issue. Since this was the first week for this program, I'm hoping they will be able to work out all the kinks with all airlines. You should be fine with an 8:30 pick up from the port.
Hopefully, the problems will be all worked out by the end of July! Thanks for your quick reply!