what are the slowest cruise weeks of the year

cblzaccie

It's pretty busy all year 'round, but I think you'll find the weeks during the Fall, and Hurricane Season, ( August, September ) to be the best, for smaller crowds. Needless to say, the summer months, when school is out, are the most popular, and the prices are the highest. Only time when prices are higher, are during holidays. Good luck. ;)

"SKY"

I've never seen any numbers on this but my guess would be that the week before any holiday week would be slower. Also the weeks before an after the majority of schools are on spring break, like the 1st week in March or April.

The last week in August when the kids are all back in school would be good too.

You might look at the fare viewer and the weeks that are less money are usually the ones that they are having the most trouble selling.

Look at after Thanksgiving and before Christmas.

This seems to be by far the deadest of times for most people. With most families planning Thanksgiving and Christmas get-togethers, there's very few that also have the vacation time and/or money to also book a cruise. School is back in during that brief time as well. As a result, you'll be hard pressed to find cruise fares cheaper than those first couple of weeks in December.

Edited by ryansmith18

Be careful of cruising in October. I just came back from a 7-day cruise on the Dream, and it was PACKED! Out of 4200 people on the ship 900+ were kids (18 yrs. and under). I was really shocked that so many kids were on the ship, but apparently some of the school districts have Fall Break. This is the first and second week in October. My cruise was 10/5 - 10/12. Good luck! I'm looking at November 29th for next year, and hopefully it won't be as crowded.

Edited by ch27088

The days between Christmas and New Years Eve is a good time. We have done this before and will be going again this year!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Really? The holidays are not for those looking for less people. Holiday cruises are always jammed packed with families and lots of kids. Since the OP wants to cruise when it's not so crowded, Christmas cruising is not the best idea. The week after New Year's might be a good choice along with the two weeks after Thanksgiving.

We have travelled during this time and the ship is never full. It is wonderful and we tend to get a great price on the cruise also. It does though make for a long winter if you are unable to go again during the winter season.

In addition to the dates posted, we have heard from our TA that the week of Mothers day prices are usually low because it used to be one of the slowest weeks for traveling on vacations.

Thought to be attributed to college graduations and planning for high school home comings where grand parents do not want to miss these events.

Also many families are just finishing up the school year.

I am sure there are other reasons, but thats what we were told.

So if you want a sale look at these weeks.

Sea Ya

Do we know what location the OP is even asking about? Everyone is assuming the Caribbean, and you may be right, but I am not seeing that in the OP's question.

If it is the Caribbean, historically immediately after Thanksgiving to about Dec 15 is about the quietest season, but I wouldn't book then expecting the ship to be half empty. The ships run above 95% full virtually all the time.

I have embarked cruises on Easter weekend in 2009 (14 night Panama Canal) and 2011 (10 night Southern Caribbean). The former was still nearly full because of Princess' rock bottom prices (inside guarantee for $500) but the latter was barely at 3/4 capacity. They were definitely the two most peaceful least crowded cruises I have taken--and the crew on both all remarked on how they contrasted with the previous sailings full of families.

Also the first and second weeks of January.

On Princess, Celebrity, & HAL ... the prices the first and second weeks of January aren't inexpensive and cost way more than the weeks between after Thanksgiving and before Christmas for Caribbean cruises. ;)

LuLu

If it is a Caibbean cruise our experience is either the first two weeks in December or the very first week in January. But the Early December timeframe can yield some extremely attractive fares.

Having said that, we have picked up last minute, well within a month of sailing, attractive rates on a ten and a fourteen day cruise respectively over the last two Christmastimes.

I agree this is a good suggestion, also the week after New Years would be another week to consider.

We have cruised these times in the past a couple of times. Between Thanksgiving and Christmas, ships are already decorated for Christmas and you have the benefits of a holiday cruise without paying the higher fare. The week after New Years sometimes there are good deals in the Carribean, plus the benefit of good weather, again for a lower price if it is a slow cruise week.

Airfares maybe better too.

Cruise lines know that there are weeks, like after Thanksgiving to before the Holiday sailings that would be slow but they reflect that in their pricing.That fills them up .

70 + mass market cruises under our belts and anything other than a full ship is very rare . So rare that I can't remember a single one ?

On Princess, Celebrity, & HAL ... the prices the first and second weeks of January aren't inexpensive and cost way more than the weeks between after Thanksgiving and before Christmas for Caribbean cruises. ;)

LuLu

OP did not state which cruise line. We've seen several cruise lines where the first two weeks of January are less expensive (e.g., Carnival).

I have also noticed that out of New Orleans, Mardi Gras weeks are very inexpensive. Of course, the catch there is that the hotels and air fare are very expensive. :eek:

That is sooo true about NOLA. Hotels are over 300 a night and that's at a staybridge. We enjoy early November or February (not a short cruise near Valentines day) Kids are in school. Steer clear of 4 day cruises too, if they occur over a weekend the atmosphere is totally PARTY! During the week, not so much.