Rebooking - travel agent etiquette?

inq

i always book my cruises directly with NCL. This time, as we are traveling with a Number of family members, I booked with my sisters TA. I booked with her several months ago, and I had her rebook me during the last 10% obc promotion just a couple weeks ago. Now I noticed the price of my balcony cabin has dropped again and qualifies for new 10% obc promo. She has been rather cold with my latest request to rebook. I can save an additional $80 by rebooking again, but wonder if that is considered bad form when using a TA.

Any thoughts?

I can only assume the coldness comes from lower price=less commission? Maybe a TA can chime in on that.

I don't know any etiquette rule against it. I wouldn't rebook for a $20 difference, but would certainly insist on a rebook for an $80 difference.

Any thoughts? Yes... You are engaged in a business transaction. "Bad form" and feelings and etiquette don't apply. If she doesn't want to rebook you in accordance with her agency's fee structure (if applicable), let her know in no uncertain terms that you will find someone who will.

i always book my cruises directly with NCL. This time, as we are traveling with a Number of family members, I booked with my sisters TA. I booked with her several months ago, and I had her rebook me during the last 10% obc promotion just a couple weeks ago. Now I noticed the price of my balcony cabin has dropped again and qualifies for new 10% obc promo. She has been rather cold with my latest request to rebook. I can save an additional $80 by rebooking again, but wonder if that is considered bad form when using a TA.

Any thoughts?

I'd thank her, as a family member and TA, for working with you and ask her again to contact NCL. If I got any attitude from her, family or not, I'd say thank you but I'm going to transfer this booking over to NCL and do it.

Harriet

Are you past final payment? If not, I don't see why it would be a problem to get the lowest price. My TA would do this without any issue. Sometimes he would notify me of a price drop that I am not aware of. :D

You have a great TA.

TA's have it rough sometimes. People can take up a great deal of time with them checking on this cabin, that cabin, this flight, that flight... what about this deal I saw, changing plans, etc.

Each phone call to the TA takes up time. Then the TA does the change and needs to confirm back with you. Then another change.

they just do not make that much.

The coldness probably comes from someone who does not want to make the effort for their client. I used a TA in the past and had similar issues. It really annoyed me that I felt like it was pulling teeth for her to do things for me.

So, I decided to become an agent myself. I enjoy finding the best price for my clients and don't mind the work. I am there to help them plan the best vacation at the best price possible.

I would certainly request that she rebook for you. If it's something that she's not willing to do then switch your reservation to NCL so you can do as you please with it.

Good luck and happy travels!

I would expect my TA to inform me of price drops. That is why we use TA vs booking ourselves. They should take care of all those little details!

::visualizing TA sitting at desk all day checking all clients reservations to see if the price went down today and doing the same again tomorrow for all their clients and then again the next day for all their clients::

Whew! I'm tired already.

When would they have time to book new reservations, file, other work, etc.?

Harriet

I would expect my TA to inform me of price drops. That is why we use TA vs booking ourselves. They should take care of all those little details!

That would be a perfect world. Even our PCC can't keep up with informing all her clients of price changes.

We have two of our upcoming cruises (not NCL - sigh) booked with a huge on-line agency. When we see/hear of a sale (the CC boards are great for that reason alone), we email or call. He said he simply can't keep up with all the changes that take place.

OP - if the $80 is important to you (the price of a specialty dinner perhaps?), then ask the TA to please check on the price reduction. If that seems impossible for them, then ask for OBC or the equivalent. It's your money on the line.

If yours has ever called you first to tell you of price drops you are quite fortunate. Even the cream of the crop rarely do this

I tell my ta at booking that I will be watching the price and will call him to get a better deal

And/or

At final payment I will have him work his magic and get us a better deal

We have scored numerous times

Once $1500 reduction at final payment

Once $1000 reduction and an upgrade at final payment

Different lines both times.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'd find a new TA. Who has time for this? I'd cancel and rebook with someone else who wants to make sure you are getting the absolute best deal. Better to cut off ties now early on in the relationship. Awkward but sometimes necessary. Your TA wouldn't like me. I have NCL on speed dial, kind of. I call all the time with questions or if the price goes down. If you are past final payment obviously you can't cancel but it's not bad form to ask them to call for you since you cannot call yourself. All the TA's I've used just do what I ask. I don't always get the answer I want but they call anyway. Sorry but that's her job. She can't just take the commission and run, she has to continue to earn it.

Edited by Siora7777

I use the same TA at the same company every time, although I sometimes feel I am being a PITA, if I don't book with her she gets nothing, so lower commission due to a lower fare should be something they are use to as part of their job. I just called her this past Wednesday when the new 10% OBC promotion started & I went from having $150.00 OBC to having $367.80 OBC. My fare stayed the same w / AARP discount, I just got the additional OBC. Don't know if she lost anything or not, but as I said, if I book with someone else, she gets $000.00.

• 2 weeks later...

My TA is being really snotty also. The first time we booked, I had everything planned: ship, date, cabin number, etc. It took her five minutes to book us. Since this summer, the price of the cruise has dropped once and I took advantage of the 10% on board credit. Now we are adding someone to the reservation and she is complaining about how much work she has to do.

We are using a large online travel agency. I used to have a TA through this agency that would make the changes while I was on the phone and instantly send me an email confirmation. Unfortunately, she is no longer with this company.

I guess I am asking the same question. Am I abusing my travel agent?

My TA is being really snotty also. The first time we booked, I had everything planned: ship, date, cabin number, etc. It took her five minutes to book us. Since this summer, the price of the cruise has dropped once and I took advantage of the 10% on board credit. Now we are adding someone to the reservation and she is complaining about how much work she has to do.

We are using a large online travel agency. I used to have a TA through this agency that would make the changes while I was on the phone and instantly send me an email confirmation. Unfortunately, she is no longer with this company.

I guess I am asking the same question. Am I abusing my travel agent?

Not at all. Your TA should want to work with you to get the best offer. They should do anything the cruiseline would do they are just the middleman. She shouldn't complain, if you booked direct the cruiseline would check on offers for you.

Not at all. Your TA should want to work with you to get the best offer. They should do anything the cruiseline would do they are just the middleman. She shouldn't complain, if you booked direct the cruiseline would check on offers for you.

Has something changed in the last two years with NCL? It used to be that as long as I was booked in the same room type and the price dropped before final payment, I could get the lower price and keep my existing promotions. I literally could call and the price would be adjusted instantly.

Has something changed in the last two years with NCL? It used to be that as long as I was booked in the same room type and the price dropped before final payment, I could get the lower price and keep my existing promotions. I literally could call and the price would be adjusted instantly.

You're absolutely correct. You still can. And I'm sick and tired of people excusing bad behavior. This goes for butlers, cabin stewards, everyone who works for the cruiseline, AND, especially, travel agents.

IT'S YOUR JOB, YOU AGREED TO DO IT, DO WHAT YOU'RE EXPECTED TO DO, OR BETTER, (IF YOU WANT A PROMOTION), AND STOP COMPLAINING ABOUT IT. IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, QUIT!!!!!

(Sorry about the rant but this makes me kwazy! :p;):eek::o)

Ali

A couple of weeks ago I called my PCC and got a $200 price drop, same cabin, on a cruise less than 9 months away. I was told that since my cabin did not change I would still receive the extra Latitudes points plus AARP discount for having originally booked more than 9 month ahead of time.

When the 10% promo came, my TA was a bit slow getting back to me. It was the end of the Early Booking Bonus time for all-inclusives. She ended up calling me with NCL on the other line at the end of the day. I just needed to be more patient.

Then came a 12.9% price drop and I was on the phone calling her and she was almost trying to get out of helping me. She tried to tell me that I would only save $50 as the exchange rate (Cdn vs US) wasn't great. I said let's do it anyways. I knew she was wrong. She called me back at the end of the day and said I saved $215 CDN!

She also told me that she doesn't work on commission and they don't charge a booking fee for cruises. Not sure why that is or if that should change the amount of work she does for her clients.

I don't know all the rules. If the price drops before final payment they will still adjust the price.