want to see more tv programming on your room TV's

And your research is based on what?

Those movies are already being run for free at the cinema and on the pool

screen, and even some in the theater. What is the difference if those movies

are being shown at the same time on the TV's in your cabin if you can't find

a seat in the cinema, or it is raining on the pool deck?

These are second run DVD movies...not first time films at your neighborhood

theater. RCI is not collecting a free to watch these movies, thus there is no

share of the profits to pay for showing.

I think you misunderstand. The movies aren't being shown at the pool for free: Royal is paying a royalty. What makes you think cruise lines own copyright for these movies?

They might be free to watch, but someone still needs to pay the owners of the copyright. They're not even free as the price is built into the cost of the cruise.

Hope this helps you understand a bit better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Penciltwister

Why not? But....

Yes, I would love to hear about your actual research on this. Thanks! :)

The reason it's not the same for a cruise ship showing a movie as it is for you watching it at home is because the cruise ship charges customers to watch the movie. It's not a direct charge, but it's indirect as a part of the fare.

I'm not sure what you are asking for in terms of "actual research", but if you want some sources, here's one:

http://www.mplc.org/copyright

"Films may be shown without a separate license in the home to “a normal circle of family and its social acquaintances” (Section 101) because such showings are not considered “public.”"

Also:

"All other public performances of motion pictures and other audiovisual works are illegal unless they have been authorized by license. Even “performances in ‘semipublic’ places such as clubs, lodges, factories, summer camps and schools are ‘public performances’ subject to copyright control.”"

If you'd like more info, there's a link on that website that will provide more complete copyright information. Additionally, you can do a search for "movie copyright law" and find many other sources.

Edited by time4u2go

These are second run DVD movies on board that are already being shown

multiple times during the week. Think DVD movies on your airline flight.

No one contacts me for royalties when I run a DVD at home.

If you find differently, I would love to hear about your research.

Sorry, you are dead wrong on this. Taking inflight entertainment, for example, airlines pay royalties for both the music and the movies they show. International airlines sometimes pay more than $90,000 for a licence to show one movie over a period of two or three months and spend up to $20 million per year on content. Audience size is one of the many factors dictating the price. It would be silly to believe that the cruise industry would be treated any differently.

The DVD that you purchase comes with a license allowing you to show it for personal use only. You are not allowed to show it to a large audience, even if you don't charge an admission fee.

Radio stations pay royalties on the music they play. They can't just buy a CD or make a (free or paid) download from the internet and play it unlimited times just because it's "theirs".

The list goes on.

In today's world, where you can pirate all forms of entertainment freely on the internet, people sometimes lose track of the whole range of issues related to copyright, intellectual property, royalties and the like. This is a prime example.

I have owned movie theatres for 20+ years. Here is the lowdown on the movies on a cruise ship.

FIRST, the ones showing in the dinema are delivered in a digital format that cannot be shown at the pool or cabin TVs. This is done to protect from illegal copying of the "new" movie. While it might be possible to show the cinema movie at the pool or TV, it would require a lot more hardware.

As to copyright there are limitations. The new movies in the cinema come at a higher price than other movies. The ship pays based on "average attendace" in the cinema. If it is shown to the whole ship, then RCCL would have to pay a copyright fee based on the entire capcity of the ship.

Example: When a bar books a special football game that is pay-per-view they have to pay based on the max seating capacity of the bar.

Basically, showing everything to the whole ship would incurr a lat of extra charges to RCCL. They are not going to spend the money.

I have owned movie theatres for 20+ years. Here is the lowdown on the movies on a cruise ship.

FIRST, the ones showing in the dinema are delivered in a digital format that cannot be shown at the pool or cabin TVs. This is done to protect from illegal copying of the "new" movie. While it might be possible to show the cinema movie at the pool or TV, it would require a lot more hardware.

As to copyright there are limitations. The new movies in the cinema come at a higher price than other movies. The ship pays based on "average attendace" in the cinema. If it is shown to the whole ship, then RCCL would have to pay a copyright fee based on the entire capcity of the ship.

Example: When a bar books a special football game that is pay-per-view they have to pay based on the max seating capacity of the bar.

Basically, showing everything to the whole ship would incurr a lat of extra charges to RCCL. They are not going to spend the money.

Thank you (and others) for helping to explain this! Hopefully island girl now understands.

We used to get Fox and CNN news. Why has that been stopped? How much more would it cost to get live TV news coverage on the in cabin TV's?

I would like to be in touch with things back home. I like being able to keep up with current events and weather. Other cruise lines have that capability why not RCCL?

We used to get Fox and CNN news. Why has that been stopped? How much more would it cost to get live TV news coverage on the in cabin TV's?

I would like to be in touch with things back home. I like being able to keep up with current events and weather. Other cruise lines have that capability why not RCCL?

I believe they still carry CNN International. I was told Fox costs them more so they opted to drop it.

I agree they pay for the movies they show, but they used to be willing to do that because they used to have a channel that played movies. I remember one time on Adventure of the Seas I watched all of "something borrowed" - in pieces completely out of order since they showed it each day at different times and each time I caught a different part :)

I would love to see RCCL improve its room TV programming options increase some. Does anyone know if RCCL ever reviews what programming channels they offer to their guests? I sure would like to see some better channels!:)

The only channels we watch are the ship channels i.e. music, schedules, that sort of thing.

Whatever all the discussion can lead to I do continue out hope that RCCL will consider updating some programming options for its in ship room entertainment. I never expected this thread to go on so long but I do believe that many people want some improvements to the channel offerings.

Carnival Cruises has the best TV programming of all the cruise lines we sailed with. When we sailed in January I was surprised to see ABC, NBC, and CBS, included in TV programming, along with several other nice channels. It was so nice to be able to tune into local news and weather.

I agree, Carnival has the best. We have been able to watch several network shows without having to catch up when we get home.

They should sell a package with more shows/features if that is what you want.

Regarding movies; now that the licensing has been explained I understand why they don't.

I'm okay with international news and old cartoons; it's just some background noise while getting dressed or to keep the baby occupied for a few minutes while we are getting ready to go out. I'd like more music options, to be honest.

But I'm not really willing to pay for either.

If others are willing to pay, go for it.

• 2 weeks later...
Doesn't matter to me as don't go on cruises to watch TV.

Yet, you felt compelled to come into the thread. To explain it to this guy sometimes you need something to do well your wife gets dressed or you crash while others go clubbing. But do we need to justify it to you? But anyway, I wish they would at least update their own material. I relaxed in my room while my wife went dancing I saw a great promotional video of a 7 day cruise on Mariner out of LA. Looked like a great time, I should have went right to next cruise and booked it.

Last month on FR, I used the Voom streaming option to watch news clips a few hours after they had played so I kept up with what I needed to keep up with. I could not figure out how to get it to do live TV. I also watched You Tube Videos and could have watched Netflix.

This was the only cruise where CNN International actually was worth watching as the Brexit vote happened during our cruise and the reporters and anchors there were British.

We cruise every Christmas. A channel featuring a fireplace accompanied by holiday music would be appreciated.

We typically cruise in GS and have access to a DVD player, so we bring our own.

I think it would be a nice touch for other families on board.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would love if their programming had closed captioning. Yes, the televisions themselves have captioning built in, but if the satellite programming doesn't have captioning, it doesn't work. So my deaf wife can never watch anything. We don't hang out in our cabin, but sometimes early morning or in between events or before bed, we turn it on and unfortunately she can never watch anything. Thankfully the last couple of years, we are downloading movies/shows onto our Ipad to take a long.

I would love if their programming had closed captioning. Yes, the televisions themselves have captioning built in, but if the satellite programming doesn't have captioning, it doesn't work. So my deaf wife can never watch anything. We don't hang out in our cabin, but sometimes early morning or in between events or before bed, we turn it on and unfortunately she can never watch anything. Thankfully the last couple of years, we are downloading movies/shows onto our Ipad to take a long.

I would suggest that you let RCCL know about your wife's issues because ADA issues should be considered for your wife's needs while traveling.

I would suggest that you let RCCL know about your wife's issues because ADA issues should be considered for your wife's needs while traveling.

we have and RCCL said it is beyond their control. :confused:

We cruise every Christmas. A channel featuring a fireplace accompanied by holiday music would be appreciated.

We typically cruise in GS and have access to a DVD player, so we bring our own.

I think it would be a nice touch for other families on board.

We are in a Grand Suite also, most of our DVDs are Blu Ray, will they play?

We also watch the old black and white classics on the old format, Now Voyager, our favorite for before the cruise.

Love to bring that one and watch on the ship.

Thanks,

Roy

we have and RCCL said it is beyond their control. :confused:

I agree. RCI has TV'S that have closes captioning.. But if the satellite signal they are picking up isn't carrying the closed captioned signal then unfortunately you are SOL.

I'm not sure how much jurisdiction the ADA has over a Bahamian flagged ship.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I agree. RCI has TV'S that have closes captioning.. But if the satellite signal they are picking up isn't carrying the closed captioned signal then unfortunately you are SOL.

I'm not sure how much jurisdiction the ADA has over a Bahamian flagged ship.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

you are probably right about the jurisdictional issues

We also watch the old black and white classics on the old format, Now Voyager, our favorite for before the cruise.

Thanks,

Roy

DVD players are not Blue Ray ( at least not on our cruises) just bring standard dvd's

Thanks,

Roy

Some GS have Sony PS3 game consoles, which will play BlueRay discs.