formal nights dress code

big skip

We are first time cruisers and wondering about the dress code for formal nights . Do men need to wear a tux or is a dress suit ok.? How formal do women dress Is a long gown necessary or is coctail dress ok??? We're booked on Mediterranean cruiseon silver spirit departing October17 .

We are first time cruisers and wondering about the dress code for formal nights . Do men need to wear a tux or is a dress suit ok.? How formal do women dress Is a long gown necessary or is coctail dress ok??? We're booked on Mediterranean cruiseon silver spirit departing October17 .

A dark suit and tie and cocktail dress will be just fine! Bon voyage.

Welcome to Cruise Critic and congratulations on your first cruise.

A dark suit with tie is perfectly fine and a cocktail dress is fine too.

Keith

Absolutely Big Skip what all the other posters say is correct. I, however, like to wear a tuxedo and I am never out of place It's definitely a question of choice.

Totally agree with Newlondon. I love having a great reason to wear my tux and it fits in perfect at Silversea.

We absolutely agree with Bill (newlondon) and Todd (mp8shnt) and look forward to wearing our formal finery four times on our 18 day cruise next July on the Cloud and then another four times on our 16 day cruise on the Spirit in November 2013. For us, Silversea's dress code is a strong positive for why we sail with Sivlersea

Of course a dark suit will work, but we are one of those who go all-out and do the tux! You will be fine in either, but there are some die-hards! For ladies - yes! A wonderful gown is absolutely appropriate, as is a gorgeous cocktail dress. Enjoy at least one night of dress-up- it is so amazing!

big skip---Is your trip on the Spirit 2012 or 2013? We are on the Spirit in October, 2012 --but nothing that I see starts the 17th? Are you beginning mid cruise?

sorry my error we depart Rome on Sept 17 ( not Oct) and finish in Athens Oct 1,2012

What a man wears to a Formal Night on a Cruise usually informs me of what he’s able to bring to it. If he’s paid all that dough to be on the boat but is wearing ‘what’ll get by’ on the glamour night as shown in all the brochures, then (sound of breath being sucked in by writer).

Taking a full Tuxedo along is a pain weight-wise for me; but a white Dinner Jacket doesn’t cost a bomb and it’s light: and you can throw it on over the top of a pair of everyday black pants. I do. (You just have to lay off the red wine.)

And the ladies haven’t gone to all that trouble to look across the table at, or worse be sat next to, a bloke wearing a suit made for and undoubtedly used for business - and which you just know’s seen a funeral or two too. But, like Champagne, men’s formal wear is made for fun times; nothing less, and that’s the sense a man brings with wearing it. You owe it to your table.

Don’t dumb-down! Show off and show you're there to have fun!

Like several of you I will wear a tuxedo on formal night and my wife will wear a long gown. We enjoy dressing in formal attire.

With that said I just wanted to just mention that the original posters question was whether a suit and a cocktail dress are appropriate fattier on a formal night and the answer no is yes a dark suit and cocktail dress are permitted and people wear them even if say the majority wear a tuxedo and other type of formal dress.

Keith

I've certainly got the fattier covered. But, I prefer to remain delusional and blame it on the dreaded salt in the air that shrink my clothes and not my eating habits. ;o)

LOL. This is what I get for typing this on my iPad. :)

Keith

I've certainly got the fattier covered. But, I prefer to remain delusional and blame it on the dreaded salt in the air that shrink my clothes and not my eating habits. ;o)

And here I was, thinking fattier was some fancy word I hadn't heard before and should go and look up!

To the OP,

For the man: I dont want you to be scared off by the tux-or-your-not-doing-it-right suggestions (as valid as they may be to some!); there is certainly a very good option that fits between a "dark suit" and a traditional tux.

The fashion designers of the world have done interesting things in formal attire over the past 10 or so years. A black (so not dark, but black) suit cut in a tailored manner with a thin black tie or bow tie is the look seen at many evening formal occasions in this era.

This trend creates a different way for a man to dress formally; and, in my view at least, more fashionable than a traditional tuxedo. This link shows separate pictures of Jason Statham and Prince William; one in formal styled black suit, the other in traditional tux. No doubt they could sit at the same table and be in a photo together comfortably.

http://www.millionlooks.com/special-today/best-dressed-celebrities-of-2011-according-to-vogue/

In five years this discussion will seem quaint as the demographic sailing luxury lines (which they are desperately seeking) gets younger and younger. A nice black suit is more than adequate imo. And in the most recent brochures I don't see anyone wearing a tux or long gown. All the models are casually attired.

And I'd be pretty sad if I had to limit my intake of champagne to those nights I wear a tuxedo. Where I live we drink it all the time wearing shorts and short sleeved shirts. And it tastes just as good.

Alipious will be relieved to know that if we're ever on his same cruise, my husband and I will not be dining with him....he does sound too much like a 'pious bloke' and we prefer to look great ( not perhaps to his taste) and have fun with people who are not so focused on people dressing to please their notion of what one should wear.

We always make it a point to follow and honor Silversea's guidelines for dress code. It's one of the components that define the Silversea experience and, as noted above, it's a mark of respect to our fellow passengers. On a line like Silversea, this really counts for something.

But as many noted, Silversea's own descriptions provide an element of choice and you'll be fine either way: dark suits are acceptable for formal nights if you choose not to wear a tux and you won't be made to feel sub-standard by passengers or staff. In my experience, almost all women wear long gowns or long skirt/top combos; I've also worn "formal" black satin pants with very dressy tops and sparkly earrings and felt easily up to code.

Formal nights are festive, dressy occasions on Silversea and you won't regret going the extra mile here.

In five years this discussion will seem quaint as the demographic sailing luxury lines (which they are desperately seeking) gets younger and younger. A nice black suit is more than adequate imo. And in the most recent brochures I don't see anyone wearing a tux or long gown. All the models are casually attired.

And I'd be pretty sad if I had to limit my intake of champagne to those nights I wear a tuxedo. Where I live we drink it all the time wearing shorts and short sleeved shirts. And it tastes just as good.

Strongly agree with your statements. Once again I see a dress code thread that does not sound like a cruise line that I would want to be on -- with people who do not want to even look at black suits unless they are designer:(

We have only taken two Silversea cruises (with one more booked) and learned that some posters sound snobby and are really quite nice. At most, 50% of passengers on our cruises wore tuxedos -- the rest black suits. I can't tell you much about what type of black suit as I have better things to do on my vacation than to study and judge other people.

Silversea is a wonderful cruise line -- beautiful ships (the Whisper and Shadow), incredible service, great food....... what else could you ask for? Perhaps a more welcoming group of posters who respond to newbies:confused: I'm sure there are some nice folks on this thread and perhaps do not realize how harsh a couple of these posts come across (sorry -- just had to speak my mind on this subject).

P.S. Just read another new thread for newbies...... now that is the kind of thread that makes a person happy they checked out the Silversea board:-)

We always make it a point to follow and honor Silversea's guidelines for dress code. It's one of the components that define the Silversea experience and, as noted above, it's a mark of respect to our fellow passengers.

My first reaction was to agree with this. But the included alcohol is also something that defines the Silversea experience and yet I don't feel I have to drink on the ship as a mark of respect to our fellow passengers. Silversea accommodates our non-drinking by providing a large selection of non-alcoholic drinks (including alcohol-free wines which we do enjoy and, I believe, beers.)

Silversea also accommodates passengers who prefer to dress less formally with alternate dining options on formal nights.

There are some who can't understand why I choose Silversea since we don't drink. We cruise Silversea because of the excellent service, the small ships, the interesting ports, the large cabins, and, especially, the formal nights.

So I shall be understanding of those who choose Silversea but do not want to partake of the formal evenings. Just don't take the formal nights away from us and I won't lobby to take away your booze!

Archived