Curling iron and power strip?

karri_jbear

I've never had a problem with bringing a curling iron. Power strips- from what I've read vary in size and small ones seem to be okay. Some people haven't had trouble with longer ones.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not sure about a curling iron but NO on the power strip. They will confiscate, hold for you, and you pick it up the morning you disembark.

I purchased a multi USB charger which is allowed. That way, I'm able to charge multiple items (phone, camera, tablet, etc.) but only need to use one outlet. The brand I purchased is Anker (available thru Amazon) but there are other manufacturers out there ... just be sure it's UL rated.

Hope that helps.

On our recent Celebrity Cruise power strips were not allowed but we did have an extension cord, and I brought my curling iron I had two one with US plug and the other for Australia, I needed it for use in the hotels

Not sure about a curling iron but NO on the power strip. They will confiscate, hold for you, and you pick it up the morning you disembark.

I purchased a multi USB charger which is allowed. That way, I'm able to charge multiple items (phone, camera, tablet, etc.) but only need to use one outlet. The brand I purchased is Anker (available thru Amazon) but there are other manufacturers out there ... just be sure it's UL rated.

Hope that helps.

Multiple chargers allowed technically but on one of our recent cruises there was a note asking that they not be used. We did anyway with no issues.

We are flying Southwest this summer (2 bags allowed) so I am planning on bringing my flat iron and blow dryer. I know I can't bring a power strip but what about one of those plug adaptors that makes one plug into two? I already have an anchor usb dock for all of my devices so this would make charging a camera and getting ready easy!

We are flying Southwest this summer (2 bags allowed) so I am planning on bringing my flat iron and blow dryer. I know I can't bring a power strip but what about one of those plug adaptors that makes one plug into two? I already have an anchor usb dock for all of my devices so this would make charging a camera and getting ready easy!

You can bring the adaptor you mentioned. Got it at Home Depot for under $5. It has no surge protection.

By flat iron do you mean clothes iron - if so the answer is no!!!

To clarify again, as it seems there are various ideas of what power strip vs. power cord means. Their policy does not allow anything to be used onboard that will allow the pax to plug in more than one electrical 'appliance' into a power cord. Call it strip, cord, whatever you want. Usually the mutliple plug cords do include surge protectors. But there are electrical cords that offer multiple plugin opportunities without a surge protector. We had both in our PACKED luggage and they were confiscated before our bags were delivered with a note that they can be retrieved at the end of the cruise at security. There were plenty of people in line retrieving their various strips/cords at the end of our cruise. It was a long line. A single plug in extension cord is allowed and will be provided at no cost by your room steward if you ask. That's what we ended up using and had to tape it to the floor so it wasn't a hazard.

My wife always brings her own curling iron and hair dryer. I asked why she brings her own hair dryer when the cruise lines provide one...TMI. :D

Because (in my experience) the ships' hairdryers are weak and take a long time. Others don't stay on unless you continually hold down the power button, which is a bit of a PITA. I usually put up with it since we mostly limit ourselves to one small bag and a backpack, but if I'm checking a bag, my travel hairdryer comes with me.:)

Most of the power strip discussions of late have dealt with surge protection and the potential fire safety issue on the ship's circuits. Obviously you're not describing that risk.

Just to be clear though, what you're describing risks an old fashioned overload situation. The splitters I see online are rated at roughly 15 amps. An 1800W blow dryer and an 1800W flat iron will draw close to 32 amps if used simultaneously, well over the rating of the splitter. The splitters are really designed for low wattage/low amperage use, like that cell phone charger or an 80W lamp bulb. I'd be very hesitant to use one on a high wattage appliance like a blow dryer and flat iron. "Probably" it'll just sacrifice itself and "burn out", but it could also get hot and burn.

Because (in my experience) the ships' hairdryers are weak and take a long time. Others don't stay on unless you continually hold down the power button, which is a bit of a PITA. I usually put up with it since we mostly limit ourselves to one small bag and a backpack, but if I'm checking a bag, my travel hairdryer comes with me.:)

Put a rubber band over the handle and button to hold the button down.

This is always an interesting topic for me. I don't use a blow dryer or flat iron but I do enjoy a cup of coffee in the morning made from my Keurig which is banned from ship. My small one cup Keurig takes same amount of energy as coffeemaker in cabin but I'm not allow to bring it on board. But cabins have hair dryer's and everyone is allow to bring on there personal one. But if they banned these hair appliances there would be an uproar and revolt. Go ahead and start to flame me because I would rather have my morning coffee of choice than a flat iron.

I saw someone in the thread mention a fan. Just to relay our experience when boarding the Solstice in Sydney January 2017, my husband and I both have small six inch fans which are USB powered. Whilst going thru the security line, we were both stopped for having the fans in our carry-on ... a supervisor of the security company came over and told the employee that plug in fans were prohibited, USB fans were fine.

Safe travels.

Most of the power strip discussions of late have dealt with surge protection and the potential fire safety issue on the ship's circuits. Obviously you're not describing that risk.

Just to be clear though, what you're describing risks an old fashioned overload situation. The splitters I see online are rated at roughly 15 amps. An 1800W blow dryer and an 1800W flat iron will draw close to 32 amps if used simultaneously, well over the rating of the splitter. The splitters are really designed for low wattage/low amperage use, like that cell phone charger or an 80W lamp bulb. I'd be very hesitant to use one on a high wattage appliance like a blow dryer and flat iron. "Probably" it'll just sacrifice itself and "burn out", but it could also get hot and burn.

I would only use one at a time. Blow dry and the use the other to charge my camera (which is a DSLR and won't be on my USB charger). Then I will switch to the flat iron!