Quart Sized Bag: What can I live without?

Smilefy

Just tested how many liquids I can fit in a quart sized bag. :eek:

My brother may share some real-estate as he can use the hotel and cabin shampoos without consequence. We are spending 3 days in Orlando before the cruise, that makes 11 days of toiletries in two gallon bags, two personal sized bags and a single carryon. Challenge accepted!

Here's the liquids I've determined I need:

1. sunscreen: liquid in a spray bottle as of now. May break down and get the solid stick version.
  2. bodywash: Could replace with a moisturizing soap bar. Not a bar soap fan.
  3. shampoo: my hair is very picky in humid weather.
  4. conditioner: I need lots of conditioner for my hair. I have long hair.
  5. face cleanser: I plan to wear makeup on formal nights, plus sweating in the heat, so I need a good one.
  6. hairspray: Can't think of an alternative.
  7. mascara: Can't think of an alternative.
  8. concealer: I have dark under-eye circles that need covering. At least when I want a nice photo.
  9. foundation: I could use the powder or mineral kinds. Though I prefer a tinted moisturizer.
  10. lipgloss: Could use a potted lipgloss instead.
  11. aloe vera gel: Do they have this available at the purser's desk?
  12. mouth wash: Can't go without mouthwash.
  13. wrinkle releaser: For all of my clothes that are going to be packed so tightly.
  14. hand sanitizer: for when we are ashore.
  15. Na-PCA: My skin moisturizer.
  16. argan oil: For hair
  17. almond oil: For skin after shaving.
  18. perfume: I have mini bottles that are sample size, Not worried about these.
  19. spare contact lenses
  20. toothpaste

How can this be such a long list? :confused: ?

Things I will bring if I can fit them in:

First aid ointment, wipes.

Sample size Biofreeze.

Bug spray

Tide stain stick

and

Tide packets for sink-washing garments.

I will also have contact lens solution that does not need to be put in the quart-size bag.

Any suggestions on how to pack these in two quart-sized bags? Did I leave anything off?

https://30somethingforawhile.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/img_2291.jpg

There is no way to bring enough sunscreen in your carry-on....you need 1 oz (a shot glass full) per adult every 2 hours, or whenever you towel off.

The make-up items really shouldn't take up that much space. I would get a shampoo that INCLUDES the argan oil...Pantene has it.... Get travel sized mouthwash,..you only need a bit!

Don't worry about wrinkles...the humidity will rumple everything, anyway.

You will need to check something to bring all of those things! Each person is allowed ONE qt. sized baggie....you can share, but I doubt all that will fit. Liquids in CHECKED bags do not have a size limit.

Travel sized bottles are your only go to. Much of conditioner and creams can be put in mid-size pill containers -- almost a whole of my face cream in one bottle. Foundation I use compact with powder and foundation as one.

I think with what you have listed the options are: 1. check a small bag -- then number of liquids/amount of liquids does not matter as long as under the weight limit. 2. Find a drugstore/Wal-Mart and buy in Orlando which might cost you more than checking bag and then what to do with good stuff left over. Or take a little of the good stuff (what you most need or can't bear to substitute for) and pick up the other stuff in Orlando.

Might be other threads on "packing carry-on only" that might have other ideas. Right now I have 7 bottles of various sizes in my 3-1-1 bag for trip to asia for 35 days. Small shampoo (larger but still small size in suitcase), hair rinse in tube (from hair dye:o) (2 in suitcase) face cream in pill bottle (1 in suitcase),hair conditioner (in pill bottle) other in suitcase, toothpaste, trial size mouth wash (tiny one shot) (for "sore/dry throat along with throat drops but I have 15 hour flight), eye cream, nasal spray , lip stick and fingernail polish (remover in pads)small tube sunscreen. Face cleaner is wipes as are hand wash.

For me what is in the 3-1-1 bag is what I would need for the flight itself and for a night if I was to land somewhere and had to stay one night. All the rest is in suitcase and becomes another problem. I have never done carry-on only -- Hard enough with a checked bag to take it all and be under weight limits.

Are you driving from Orlando to your cruise? Many of the things on your list can be bought there and taken aboard in any of your bags. The rules on liquids (except for ship-specific rules on alcohol) that apply for flying do not apply at cruise check-in. You can find the baggage rules for your cruise on their website. That way you only need to pack enough of those things for your first day or until you can get to a store. And you can take as many bags on board as you like.

Edited by MJC

Thanks for the insight! I am definitely not using enough sunscreen in that case. Have you ever used the solid stick sunscreens? I'm curious if they work well. We are flying from Orlando to Ft Lauderdale, it was actually cheaper than taking a bus. I'm too paranoid about checking a bag and having them lose it, plus our airline charges for a checked bag and the weight limit is minimal. I wonder how much sunscreen costs onboard the ship. I'm guessing a lot.

There is no way to bring enough sunscreen in your carry-on....you need 1 oz (a shot glass full) per adult every 2 hours, or whenever you towel off.

The make-up items really shouldn't take up that much space. I would get a shampoo that INCLUDES the argan oil...Pantene has it.... Get travel sized mouthwash,..you only need a bit!

Don't worry about wrinkles...the humidity will rumple everything, anyway.

You will need to check something to bring all of those things! Each person is allowed ONE qt. sized baggie....you can share, but I doubt all that will fit. Liquids in CHECKED bags do not have a size limit.

No, flying since the ship leaves from Ft Lauderdale.

Are you driving from Orlando to your cruise? Many of the things on your list can be bought there and taken aboard in any of your bags. The rules on liquids (except for ship-specific rules on alcohol) that apply for flying do not apply at cruise check-in. You can find the baggage rules for your cruise on their website. That way you only need to pack enough of those things for your first day or until you can get to a store. And you can take as many bags on board as you like.

Thanks, this is my first time carryon only. The airline ruined my $150 suitcase on the last flight, and I've had my luggage lost twice before. I decided I have to keep everything with me. Packing minimal hasn't been an issue with an exception of toiletries.

Travel sized bottles are your only go to. Much of conditioner and creams can be put in mid-size pill containers -- almost a whole of my face cream in one bottle. Foundation I use compact with powder and foundation as one.

I think with what you have listed the options are: 1. check a small bag -- then number of liquids/amount of liquids does not matter as long as under the weight limit. 2. Find a drugstore/Wal-Mart and buy in Orlando which might cost you more than checking bag and then what to do with good stuff left over. Or take a little of the good stuff (what you most need or can't bear to substitute for) and pick up the other stuff in Orlando.

Might be other threads on "packing carry-on only" that might have other ideas. Right now I have 7 bottles of various sizes in my 3-1-1 bag for trip to asia for 35 days. Small shampoo (larger but still small size in suitcase), hair rinse in tube (from hair dye:o) (2 in suitcase) face cream in pill bottle (1 in suitcase),hair conditioner (in pill bottle) other in suitcase, toothpaste, trial size mouth wash (tiny one shot) (for "sore/dry throat along with throat drops but I have 15 hour flight), eye cream, nasal spray , lip stick and fingernail polish (remover in pads)small tube sunscreen. Face cleaner is wipes as are hand wash.

For me what is in the 3-1-1 bag is what I would need for the flight itself and for a night if I was to land somewhere and had to stay one night. All the rest is in suitcase and becomes another problem. I have never done carry-on only -- Hard enough with a checked bag to take it all and be under weight limits.

There is a "sport stick" sunscreen that works well. Looks like a fat lipstick so it might not have to go in the 3-1-1- bag either.

Do your spare contacts have to go in that bag? I thought contact lens solution was medical and had to be declared but not in the 3-1-1 bag. Might be the same for spare lens too?

Olay makes a "cloth" with cleanser imbedded. Works pretty good on most make up. And since you throw each out, there's more room for later. Not a 3-1-1- item.

Just some ideas to check into with TSA.

Thanks for the insight! I am definitely not using enough sunscreen in that case. Have you ever used the solid stick sunscreens? I'm curious if they work well. We are flying from Orlando to Ft Lauderdale, it was actually cheaper than taking a bus. I'm too paranoid about checking a bag and having them lose it, plus our airline charges for a checked bag and the weight limit is minimal. I wonder how much sunscreen costs onboard the ship. I'm guessing a lot.

I ran out of sunscreen on a Royal Caribbean cruise and a bottle of Australian Gold was $15. It was worth every penny since I burn easily. If you are taking a cab to port, you could always have them stop at Walgreens for you to run in quick and buy what you need.

Lisa

Yes, I've used stick sunscreens - I like them for my face & they're easy & not messy to pack in my purse/daybag for touchups when I'm out during the day. I don't really do beach trips often, but when I am planning to spend that much time outside, I either check sunscreen in the suitcase or buy when I get to my destination if I don't want to check my bag.

Ok, a revised list and big thanks to all on the suggestions. Red items are no longer going in the 3-1-1 category. I will keep updating as I try to pack what is left in those tiny bags.

sunscreen: Get the solid version and purchase other as needed

bodywash: Soap bars aren't that bad

shampoo: Pantene with argon oil

conditioner: I need lots of conditioner for my hair. I have long hair.

face cleanser: Olay cleansing pads not a 3-1-1 item

hairspray: I have a small 10 mL. spray bottle I can use for this

mascara: Doesn't take up much space.

concealer: Doesn't take up much space.

foundation: Use the pressed powder or mineral kinds.

lipgloss: Use a potted lipgloss instead.

aloe vera gel: Purchase on the ship if needed

mouth wash: small travel size. DF isn't going to be there to judge my bad breath anyway!

wrinkle releaser: humidity will take care of this

hand sanitizer: Only need small amounts for when we are ashore.

Na-PCA: My skin moisturizer. I have a small 10 mL. spray bottle for this

argan oil: For hair

almond oil: For skin after shaving. I have a very small bottle for this. After all I won't be shaving everyday.

perfume: I have mini bottles that are sample size, Not worried about these.

spare contact lenses: declared but not packed

toothpaste

First aid ointment, wipes.

Still a few maybes:

Sample size Biofreeze.

Bug spray

Tide stain stick

Tide packets for sink-washing garments: another brand has the powdered kind

Hi, :) glad the gals helped you.....I could suggest leaving some of the

items out but you know what you need better than I do.....;)

I don't pack many of the items on your list......none of these items

go with me on my cruises.......and some of them I don't even own

here at home.......

Stain stick

perfume

hairspray

aloe vera gel

wrinkle releaser

concealer

argan oil

mouthwash

lipgloss: Use a potted lipgloss instead.

They may have relaxed things since this happened to me (and lord knows I've accidentally travelled with many liquids not in 3-1-1 bags and never had it caught; it's very dependent on the airport and screener working) but one time they did take away my very expensive creme blush because it was counted as a liquid/gel, so a potted lipgloss may well present the same issue. If you can fit it in the bag, I would, just in case.

I think a lot of it depends on how strict the airport is, I fly out of KC as my home airport and they've never made me put my make up items in my 311 bag (although generally I think I could fit it all if necessary).....

Flying out of Heathrow in Sept they had me move my concealer into the 311 bag but mascara wasn't an issue....

Hi, since you're doing a pre stay in Ft. Lauderdale, I'd pack the items that are specialty (shampoo, conditioner, argon, make up (I've given up putting makeup in my quart size baggie, such as mascara, eye cream, chapstick (I'd on't bring/wear much make up) If you're bringing liquid foundation, I'd put it in the baggie.

I haven't put deodorant in my zip lock either, but you can never be sure.

Then, I'd hit up a drugstore such as CVS or Walgreens... I've been to Florida, but only in transit, but I think Walgreens is everywhere, & I'd buy all the basics that you feel you need there; sunscreen, hair spray, etc.

If you're into perfume, I wouldn't pack any, just go to the ship shops & spray a sample on yourself each day :)

I used to pack enough toiletries for our trips, but now I don't, other than my shampoo & conditioner, I bring a travel size toothpaste, listerine, powder, etc., & then buy more when I run out.

I've now learned that they sell colgate toothpaste in Sicily, & Jonson's baby powder in Paris. :)

Have a great time.

One thing about the stick sunscreen: it's OK for your face, but I'm not sure about putting it on you body; more opportunity to miss places I'd think than lotion/gel/spray. Just saying…

I'm a carryon traveler. I never fill up my Kippie bag. I'm not into a ton of makeup IRL, and I don't need to have all my daily necessities for a little vacation - my body will be fine with out them. I always take a little time for shopping for those "sundries" - makes for a nice sociological study of the locals and their habits ;)

If you have the time, once you land in Fort Lauderdale, take a cab to Embassy Suites on 17th street. There's a CVS about 2 blocks from there. Your brother can wait at ES with the bags while you go get what you want to bring onboard. Then hop in a cab for the ride to the pier.

I know you already have your flight booked and likely can't cancel without a big penalty, but if there's a next time, look into renting a car to drive down. Florida rental car agencies don't charge drop fees for picking up in one city and dropping in another, so it's quite reasonable, and the drive is a straight shot down I-95. Yes, there can be traffic, but just plan for it.

Then you'll have the whole trunk of the car for all the liquids you want.:D

I always fill my 3-1-1 bag. If DH is coming with me, I toss a few extra items into his. I pick up body lotion and toothpaste locally (they have lemon toothpaste in Italy!). I bring one or two 100ml tubes of sunscreen in the bag, as does DH. It's easy to find more in a Caribbean port of call.

Oh, and for bugs try the Bug-X towelettes, which don't have to go in the bag. They are 30% DEET, very effective. One will last you all day. You can slip them inside one of your shoes. And I've always found that the wall dispenser shampoo/body wash does a very nice job when I need to wash something.:)

After landing go to CVS and buy anything that is inexpensive and or/that is likely to be used up over the course of the trip - sunscreen mouthwash, sanitizer - you also can buy inexpensive shampoo/conditioner, hairspray, and deodorant (unless you are particular about the brand) - I find Suave products (shampoo. conditioner, body wash, deodorant) are inexpensive but serve well short term. Those things that you HAVE to bring from home should be put into the smallest container possible - You will be surprised how much will fit in the bag. Something I learned several years ago from Consumer Reports is that a good basic moisturizer works for both body AND face ( the advertising business has done a good job of convincing us that we need separate products). I usually use separate products at home, but on vacation if often allow one to suffice.

I did 11 days in Europe with a quart size, didn't even put much in my husband's bag. And had plenty leftover because he ended up using hotel shampoo. It's amazing how little product you really need for less than two weeks. I didn't say I didn't bring plenty of variety though! I love little container pots. I've got one for foundation, tinted moisturizer, hair product, eye makeup remover, moisturizer, face cleaner, probaby more I'm forgetting. And i've since switched to the facial wipes. But you don't need as much as you think you do. We each brought a 3oz shampoo and the dollar store has great travel sizes of Colgate toothpaste, sensitive kind for me. Bigger than the tiny travel size, but smaller than a full tube.

Since you have 3 days in Orlando pre-cruise, I'd pick up sunscreen there and possibly hairspray. I love the travel size Chi brand at Ulta if you decide to carry on. I almost always leave mascara and lip gloss in my makeup bag or purse and not in my 311 and it's not been a problem.

Edited by sr4mjc

Revised list:

1. shampoo
  2. conditioner
  3. hairspray
  4. mascara
  5. concealer
  6. mouth wash
  7. hand sanitizer
  8. moisturizer
  9. almond oil
  10. perfume
  11. enough sunscreen for 3 days

Items should fit in quart sized bag with some items in smaller containers.

Since you have 3 days in Orlando pre-cruise, I'd pick up sunscreen there and possibly hairspray. I love the travel size Chi brand at Ulta if you decide to carry on. I almost always leave mascara and lip gloss in my makeup bag or purse and not in my 311 and it's not been a problem.

The problem is that they're flying from MCO to FLL, so presumably are arriving by air on the day of the cruise. She'd have to pick stuff up at FLL to avoid checking her bag.

You can shop locally when you arrive. Find a CVS, Walgreen's, WalMart........

There is a CVS and a Walgreen's on 17th Street, FLL, very near Port Everglades. Have the taxi stop.

Edited by sail7seas

I've flown all the heck over the US, through many major airports (Newark, LAX, Atlanta, Dallas, Denver, Orlando) and never once have I put my mascara in my liquid bag - so far, TSA seems to not care. Maybe I've just been lucky, but I can't imagine in the 30-40 flights I've been on in the last 3 years, that anyone can be that lucky. lol

Have you tried the Listerine strips (aka minty pieces of paper)? They work as well as mouthwash for helping to freshen breath.

Also, Neutrogena makes a great stick sunblock that is the size of a deodorant stick. So a wider coverage area than the smaller lipstick sized ones that are mainly only good for your face. (Plus it smells awesome)

Good luck and happy packing!

Instead of hand sanitizer, I take packets of handiwipes. I clean my hands before I eat after getting food from the buffet. Do you realize all the people who handle the serving spoons at the buffet? I also carry them in my purse. Also instead of a bottle of perfume, you can buy roller ball perfume.