What OTC Meds do you pack?

jules815

We leave Saturday, spending a night in Orlando, and sailing on FOS Sunday. We'll be on-board for 2 weeks, so I'd rather be prepared and avoid the infirmary unless it's a real medical emergency. All my otc's fit in a large Ziploc bag.

Bonine

Benadryl

Immodium

Tylenol

Tylenol Cold and Flu

Coricidin (cold med for my husband who takes BP meds.)

Bandaids

Neosporin

digital thermometer

Just realized I should probably pick up some Alka Seltzer.

Advil or Aleve (anti-inflammatory)

Aloe gel (you can get sample size at CVS, etc.)

Visine or anti-itch drops for eyes - it does get windy on deck and if something gets in your eye....

and I second cough drops.

Have a great time! And I really hope you don't need a one of these items!!

Michelle

Oh also...don't forget a chap stick that has sunblock in it!

Nothing like burnt red puffy lips for those cruise pictures :D

Already packed. I bought two different types. One is a Chap Stick with an spf, and the other a Neutrogena sunblock stick with spf 50, which I've used on my lips before.

Last cruise our son contacted Noro either at the hotel or on the airplane flying down. He was as sick as I've seen anyone. We ended up in the hospital with him and they put him on 2 meds - one for vomiting and the other for diarrhea. I had a visit to our Doctor recently and got a prescription for these meds. I'm taking them with us on our next trip, just in case.

Other than that, your list looks fairly good.

I pack the following for first aid kit:

Alleve

Tums - sometimes there just no water or cup nearby

Chapstick

Aloe vera gel

Bandages

Alcohol wipes

Vicks vapor rub - because the jokes about it is based on the truth...

Cough drops

Eyedrops

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

We ended up in the hospital with him and they put him on 2 meds - one for vomiting and the other for diarrhea. I had a visit to our Doctor recently and got a prescription for these meds. I'm taking them with us on our next trip, just in case.

Other than that, your list looks fairly good.

Do you know what meds they gave him? I have Zofran on hand (nausea/vomiting) but didn't know what else they might use for serious illness like that. Sorry your son was so sick :(

Also I don't think I have seen an anti-chafing product listed. Shorts and lots of walking tend to lead to chaffed thighs... monistat makes a chaffing powder gel that is AWESOME... I also use it like bandaid blister block.

Edited by slhopper

I know you said OTC, but I also always pack antibiotics for if I get stomach/intestinal problems. I tend to get them when I travel and drink water or sometimes even eat local food. I told my dr that and he gave me an RX for cipro which I have had to use a couple times and then just request a new Rx.

Most of us pick and choose from the lengthy list. I have no use for some of the items mentioned but I do bring a fair selection of OTCs I possibly could want. If it is the middle of the night when I start to feel congested, I want anti-congestant then. :) Headache, I want my Tylenol. :)

We pack many of the OTC's mentioned.

Prices on the ships are high and many times they don't even have some of the products and you can't depend on finding a drug store in every port.

Since I suffer from severe spinal stenosis, I also pack Icy Hot Patches which helps when we have to travel on buses and small boats.

I know you said OTC, but I also always pack antibiotics for if I get stomach/intestinal problems. I tend to get them when I travel and drink water or sometimes even eat local food. I told my dr that and he gave me an RX for cipro which I have had to use a couple times and then just request a new Rx.

Antibiotics for a tummy bug? No wonder they're losing their effectiveness.

I'd say think about anything you use occasionally at home. For me and my husband, that'd be:

- Aleve

- Tyelnol PM

- Sinus medicine

- Eye drops

I'd also bring motion sickness medicine. None of us ever actually need it, but I have a superstition that if I don't bring it, someone'll get sea sick!

You probably don't need the whole bottle, so consider repackaging into a SMTuWThFSa container. Write the name and dosage (i.e., Tylenol 2 every 4) in Sharpie on the container. It'll require less packing space.

I don't use them at home (because they're too expensive), but for vacations I buy the bandaids with built-in Neosporin.

Edited by MrsPete

1) Gravol or Dramamine (Dimenhydrinate), scopolamine and Sea Bands for nausea.

2) Ibuprofen.

3) Loperamide for diarrhea.

4) Sunscreen such as Ombrelle with an SPF of at least 30.

5) DEET insect repellant.

7) Duck tape.

8) Gas-X.

9) Aloe Vera.

10) Esomeprazole.

11) Polysporin cream.

12) Hydrocortisone 0.5 % Cream (!0.5% cream is a prescription in Canada).

13) Gauze, bandages and a pair of scissor.

14) Mole skin.

15) Afterbite.

16 Voltaren Emulgel.

17) Tweezers.

18) Tums

19) Baby Powder.

20) A sense of humour.