Luggage Direct?

phabric

Availability and cost will vary by port. What port/airport are we talking about?

You will find out it on board, when you get your disembarkation paperwork, usually many days prior to the actual disembarkation day. For example, on a 7 day cruise, you will usually get the paperwork on the second day of the cruise.

Edited by CruiserBruce

If you can do Luggage Direct, do it. We were able to do it out of Fort Lauderdale once and it made life so much easier. One time we wanted to do it, and for that particular cruise it was not offered (no reason given). The usual "not on this cruise".

Availability is limited to certain ports and certain airlines, I assume the list of eligible connections is growing. After you submit your post-cruise arrangement document to the front desk you will receive a letter indicating whether or not it's available for your particular port, airport, and airline. I used it this past winter at Ft. Lauderdale, as I recall it was $25.00 and well worth it IMO.

The form I saw says the participating airlines are aa, United, delta, jet blue, U.S. air and southwest. I've have not seen the form on my last several cruises. It seems more difficult for canadians to take advantage of this.

... the best 30 dollars you will ever spend!

$30? $30!!! :eek:

When did the price increase to $30??? Last time I used it, the price was something like $19.

That's one whopping increase in a relatively short period of time.

We used the service on May 1, off the Maasdam in FLL and were very pleased with the process. The airline for us was American and in the past the reason we couldn't use it was that with a status level on American, we don't pay for luggage and with Luggage Direct back then, there was no way to remove those fees. But there is now, so all we paid was the $19.95 for each of us; set the bags outside the door as usual and the next time we saw them was coming off the luggage carousel in Los Angeles.

I doubt this actually cost us much, if anything, when you consider how long the line for customs was in FLL. We had 3 full-sized pieces of luggage (usual stuff plus a lot of water-fun gear) and a bunch of electronic/camera stuff in day bags on our backs, so we probably would have gotten a porter. As long as we stood in the line (and others were standing there with their porters patiently standing with them) we would have felt it only right to tip a considerable amount for tying up the porter for 45 minutes, which was the length of the line's time when we were there. Standing there with just our day bags, and no porter to take into consideration, we considered it a wash, cost-wise.

If you can use the service, I certainly would recommend it. We hope never to have to fly home again without it. (Of course we'd prefer to not have to fly at all, but that's not always possible!)

What is the service called which allows you to ship your luggage from home to ship and then back?

I think you're referring to the Bags VIP Luggage Delivery service - here's a link to the HAL site explaining this service ... for what it's worth IMO this is a very good service and well worth the price ...

https://www.maketraveleasier.com/holland/services

What is the service called which allows you to ship your luggage from home to ship and then back?

https://www.maketraveleasier.com/holland

This link which was provided earlier in the thread explains some of what you may be asking. They have Bags VIP.

I appreciate the info. It looks like you can have your bag picked up at the airport and delivered to the ship. You can book some of it online. I tried a dummy reservation for Luggage Direct from Seattle and it looks like it may be available. Yay. I always use EZ Check on Princess when available. I will be super happy if I can do this in Seattle.

$30.00 would be wonderful. We're spending six weeks in Europe and returning from Rome to Ft. Lauderdale on the Nieuw Amsterdam repositioning cruise. Because we'll need "cruise clothes," we need to ship a bag to meet us at the ship. Luggage direct charges $349!

On one of the other threads there is information that this service will be available on the Eurodam when we complete our voyage this summer in Copenhagen. The cost will be $29.95 per person. We are flying SAS, but I don't know about other airlines. We also feel the cost is a wash because it will enable us to take the train to the airport rather than a taxi, or two, if we can't fit the luggage into one. We won't have to deal with those big, heavy bags until we get to Chicago!

$30.00 would be wonderful. We're spending six weeks in Europe and returning from Rome to Ft. Lauderdale on the Nieuw Amsterdam repositioning cruise. Because we'll need "cruise clothes," we need to ship a bag to meet us at the ship. Luggage direct charges $349!

Are you using Luggage forward or luggage direct? I only found luggage forward for overseas. We are doing something similar and the reason I asked. apologies for the thread drift.

I wonder if this would work in reverse. We are doing a 19 day cruise, then a few days post cruise in Seattle. Could we ship all our cruise clothes home prior to our going home? I'd surely like to not have to deal with all those bags while on our land vacation.

Banditswife, If you have someone at your home to accept (and, if you choose, sign for) your luggage, the Bags VIP Luggage Delivery service should work - you may need to do both the Luggage Direct service and the Bags VIP Luggage Delivery service. However, to be safe, I suggest you contact Bags VIP by 'phone (1-877-847-0045) or e-mail (BagsVIP@MakeTravelEasier.com) and ask if this will work for you .. IMO these are great services and well worth the price ...

Banditswife, If you have someone at your home to accept (and, if you choose, sign for) your luggage, the Bags VIP Luggage Delivery service should work - you may need to do both the Luggage Direct service and the Bags VIP Luggage Delivery service. However, to be safe, I suggest you contact Bags VIP by 'phone (1-877-847-0045) or e-mail (BagsVIP@MakeTravelEasier.com) and ask if this will work for you .. IMO these are great services and well worth the price ...

Thank you for the info. We may just try to find a locker at SEATAC for our unneeded luggage. We usually fly Southwest where bags fly free. But I will check into this option once flights schedules are up for the dates we need. Thx

We always buy early bird check-in from Southwest. If we purchase the Luggage Direct service will we still get the early bird check-in and be in the (usually) A group?

Yes you can if your at a participating airport. The front desk or the Neptune Lounge will take care of that. Or you can go online and check in yourself if you have internet.

Neptune Lounge had it already for me.