Holland America - Premium or Mainstream cruiseline?

whogo

15 ships. Some 7 days sell for $295

HAL is as mainstream as they come.

Absolutely nothing wrong with being mainstream-it is a big market with lots of flavours.

We booked an October Med cruise on another mainstream cruise line yesterday-RCI. We have only had one other RCI cruise and it was some time ago. We have done a few Celebrity cruises.

The BIG surprise for us..... First they told us we were Diamond. Second they told us they were taking $200. off our balcony fare because we are Diamond. Then they went through some of the Diamond benefits. The interesting part was that our keys will be loaded with a code that entitles each to 3 free drinks each (wine, beer, etc) EVERY NIGHT (except MDR, buffet) at any lounge between 5:30 and 8PM. Apparently the Diamond lounges are too small so they just want people to go to other venues.

We never buy a cruise because of the perks so these just fell unexpectedly into our lap. There were other meaningless benefits to us like a lounge for b'fast or some sort of welcome food arrangement (as though anyone needs more food on a cruise ship) on boarding.

Possibly if you paid full price on top suites and had high onboard spending they "comped" you to Diamond. I know airlines do this quite often for high revenue passengers- I've been waiting for the cruise lines to follow suit to keep their highest spenders "loyal".

Maybe that could be their next marketing campaign!

When I tell people we only cruise on "Holland America" with a tinge of elitist good taste in my mouth while thinking about the Pinnacle Grill or Tamarind, they either know it has a reputation for being better than most and being full of old people who like to read. They also usually know HAL cruisers would have no use for a water slide, rock wall or roller coaster thrill ride flinging them over the side of the ship in a harness.

Or they don't know anything about HAL and I try to explain to them what the HAL experience is like if they actually would want to hear about it.

Whatever it is, it still meets our expectations, I consider Princess, Cunard and Celebrity all the time but just end up booking HAL.

-Paul

Edited by kangforpres

Maybe that could be their next marketing campaign!

When I tell people we only cruise on "Holland America" with a tinge of elitist good taste in my mouth while thinking about the Pinnacle Grill or Tamarind, they either know it has a reputation for being better than most and being full of old people who like to read. They also usually know HAL cruisers would have no use for a water slide, rock wall or roller coaster thrill ride flinging them over the side of the ship in a harness.

Or they don't know anything about HAL and I try to explain to them what the HAL experience is like if they actually would want to hear about it.

Whatever it is, it still meets our expectations, I consider Princess, Cunard and Celebrity all the time but just end up booking HAL.

-Paul

This is interesting.

When we talk about HAL, the reaction we get, 90% of the time a wary reaction: "Oh, HAL is expensive". They use words like "expensive, refined, fancy, dressy".

The odd thing about our RCI booking experience is that we were not booking an expensive suite.

We were booking a bog standard balcony gty just inside the final payment window. I could here my TA's conversation with the RCI booking agent. The benefits just kept coming.

...They also usually know HAL cruisers would have no use for a water slide, rock wall or roller coaster thrill ride flinging them over the side of the ship in a harness...

:) :) :)! I have mostly sailed HAL and Celebrity, but am doing my first Carnival cruise soon as it was the only line that had the dates and itinerary I wanted. I am keeping an open mind, and will try hard to appreciate it for what it is. I think I will pass on the water slide, however. I am told it swirls you around like a giant toilet bowl...

Edited by Ryndam2002

It seems to me that mainstream or premium is too narrow a scope for a valid measuring scale. IMHO HAL is above mainstream and seems superior to many other five star lines. However, they are below the standard set by six star Crystal for instance, in particular when comparing shows and speakers.

What makes them superior to mainstream is their price point is such that the resulting product is quite a good deal in most cases, regardless of the cabin selection. Further, one may generally expect the same level of service regardless of the ship chosen from the fleet.

harry

The odd thing about our RCI booking experience is that we were not booking an expensive suite.

We were booking a bog standard balcony gty just inside the final payment window. I could here my TA's conversation with the RCI booking agent. The benefits just kept coming.

Perhaps RCI gave you credit with them for your previous sailings on Celebrity, both having the same parent?

Edited by Ryndam2002

I think I considered Holland America a premium cruise line when the competition included low end cruise lines like Regency and Dolphin. Those lines have disappeared and the likes of Azamara and Oceania have popped up to bump HAL from the premium category.

I also considered HAL as premium, but I feel 95 % in this thread see them as a mainstream line.

For our Alaska choice next year (August 2015) we had the decision between HAL Oosterdam and Celebrity Millennium for Alaska Northbound.

Millie had the slightly more appealing itinerary to us and was way cheaper than HAL, plus onboard credit.

Although I think we would have had a great time on Oosterdam, maybe Millennium has been the better choice.

Maybe HAL is more traditional and conservative than HAL?

Sometimes I try to compare with car manufacturers.

Maybe HAL = Mercedes, Jaguar or Lincoln, while

Celebrity = Audi, BMW, Cadillac or Chrysler.

My thoughts. :)

I know this may ruffles few feathers, but I consider HAL the lower end of the mainstream cruise lines. The ships are plain jane, no bells and whistles. And for those of us who have been on a few other cruise lines, the over all service is nothing special.

I know this may ruffles few feathers, but I consider HAL the lower end of the mainstream cruise lines. The ships are plain jane, no bells and whistles. And for those of us who have been on a few other cruise lines, the over all service is nothing special.

You shouldn't worry. There are several segments that are used by the industry, but they aren't tied too closely to the "special" market segments used here on the boards.

I wouldn't lump Carnival, Royal Caribbean, and Disney together - but they're all in the same segment as far as the analysts are concerned.

Edited by POA1

I would consider HAL as upper mainstream. That is only my opinion. The new mega ships of RCL are not appealing to all cruisers but are loved by many. I prefer HAL over Celebrity in most areas. I like to relax on a cruise. The skating rinks, rock climbing walls and amazing water slides are not what I look for in cruising. I know many younger families who prefer the HAL/Princess ships as they want their children more focused on the history of the ports and where they are going.

Diane

Depending upon what one considers "bells and whistles" to mean, and whether they are pluses or minuses, their presence might enhance or detract. I happen to like the simple classic "plain jane" lines of HAL ships - and certain "bells and whistles", such as water slides, climbing walls, bowling alleys and bumper cars, do absolutely nothing in my eyes other than to cheapen the experience.

We do not care for those bells and whistles. But we would not put HAL in the upper end of the mass market. They are solidly in our perception the mass market. Their product is a little different from some others in that market but on the whole we certainly do not find them any better.

There are ships in the HAL fleet that we would not consider-ever. Same with some ships in other cruise lines in the same market place.

For us, HAL is loosing points primarily because of the age of their ships and the intermittent mtce issues that crop up from time to time.

We are not fans of HAL's entertainment program or their smoking policy but these are not the deal breakers that the condition of some of their ships are for us. We do not find the service on HAL any better than other ships. Same for dining-it can be hit and miss on any line with one exception. HAL's Lido hours of operation are probably the most limited of any cruise line that we have been fortunate to travel on.

Edited by iancal

I would consider HAL as upper mainstream. That is only my opinion. The new mega ships of RCL are not appealing to all cruisers but are loved by many. I prefer HAL over Celebrity in most areas. I like to relax on a cruise. The skating rinks, rock climbing walls and amazing water slides are not what I look for in cruising. I know many younger families who prefer the HAL/Princess ships as they want their children more focused on the history of the ports and where they are going.

Diane

Diane, Diane, Diane..... The cruise we were on was definitely upscale- we were on it and we are far from mainstream!

We do not care for those bells and whistles. But we would not put HAL in the upper end of the mass market. They are solidly in our perception the mass market. Their product is a little different from some others in that market but on the whole we certainly do not find them any better.

There are ships in the HAL fleet that we would not consider-ever. Same with some ships in other cruise lines in the same market place.

For us, HAL is loosing points primarily because of the age of their ships and the intermittent mtce issues that crop up from time to time.

We are not fans of HAL's entertainment program or their smoking policy but these are not the deal breakers that the condition of some of their ships are for us. We do not find the service on HAL any better than other ships. Same for dining-it can be hit and miss on any line with one exception. HAL's Lido hours of operation are probably the most limited of any cruise line that we have been fortunate to travel on.

Well said! When Norwegian offers a better hard (and soft) product, you KNOW Holland America is behind the times. DW and I started cruising NCL out of sheer curiosity, and feel that NCL shipboard service is vastly superior, and the food is much better. Plus, they embrace technology while HAL avoids it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

When it comes to on board customer technology, we agree that HAL is at the bottom of the pack. Hard not to agree.

Though inconvenient, this too is not a deal breaker for us. Just an inconvenience.

One of the mass market lines ticks more of our boxes than any other. This does not make them upper mid market...it simply means that for our preferences this line makes more hits. This will not be the case for someone else.

Edited by iancal

Seems we're doing the "My Mass Market Cruise Line Is Better Than Yours" thing. :D

All of us have our favorite/favorites! When considering a cruise, I have three that I always consider because they are a notch above to me ... don't always pick one of them but always consider. HAL is among the always three. :)

LuLu

~~~

IMHO Celebrity is premium due to some nicities you get, compared to others (e. g. Princess):

-cold towel on warm days at sea

-cooked to order items at the buffet

-sommeliers in MDR

-welcome aboard drinks

-drinks and cold towels when returning to the ship

--> Princess does not offer those benefits, no idea whether HAL does.

Many other people I know say that even Cunard has not the same standard as Celebrity, and costs much more. Maybe HAL and Cunard are more classic.

(Nearly) all media consder Celebrity as a premium product, while some media see HAL as premium, some as standard.

We had cold towels and cold drinks when we came back to HAL when in Bermuda, friends who have done warm climate cruises with HAL said they did it too.

Terri

SPOT ON

Agree, agree, agree

:)

Edited by earljr